Issues with money requests

Kelly-And-Dave2
Level 2
Port Angeles, WA

Issues with money requests

Hello,

Due to issues with pet damage and Airbnb not paying for damage (and the realization that the "deposit" isnt actually a deposit), we have put a mandatory pet deposit in place. We charge guests a cleaning fee for their pets plus a refundable $100 damage deposit. 

It seems like every single time I bill out the pet fees, the guests message back and have issues figuring out how to pay the fee. They say the link in their email just leads them to a page that says "reply" and doesnt give them the option to pay. I have had the same complaint about 75% of the time. Since I have never received the email, I have no idea what the issue is. 

Does anyone have insight on what the problem is and why my guests cant figure this out? I would like to be able to tell them very simply how to handle the payment.

Thanks

15 Replies 15
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Go about it a simpler, fool-proof way. If 75% of the time you are running into a back & forth waste of time, then another way should be considered.

Also a 'refundable' deposit also is tricky, because then is a judgement call on your part. The guest may believe their canine was 'perfect', you may be of a different opinion.

Perhaps is best to charge a flat fee for 'Fido' and take your chances, but extra charges that may be refundable or not, has high-maintenance written all over it.

We charge our guest about 95% of the time an extra charge, if they went fishing during their stay via an Airbnb request; has worked perfectly for years.

Just a thought.

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Kelly-And-Dave2 ,

AirBnb does not have a process to collect pet fees and damage deposit, other listing sites do allow the guest to “add” a pet fee to the booking which is remitted at the time of booking.

Its important to have a process to track which guest are bringing pets and if a pet fee has been collected.  A few days prior to an AirBnb guest check-in the host can request additional fees, which the guest can accept and pay.

You can request the pet fee and damage deposit from the guest thought Airbnb ‘Resolution Center’  

Guest reservation detail> send or request money > resolution page > request money> information deception > enter total of the  amount > click sendGuest reservation detail> send or request money > resolution page > request money> information deception > enter total of the amount > click send

I do send a "request for money" but the guests always say they can't find the link to pay or the link just takes them to their reservation page and they can't find out where to pay.

I send the requests a week to 2 weeks before arrival and check back to make payment was made about 2-3 days before arrival.  The guest that is in now said she paid the pet fee but never had, I sent her a screenshot of the resolution center where it said "guest did not respond". She requested me to resend it, which I did and she said the link took her to a page that said "accept" or "reply".  I informed her to click "accept" she said when she went back to the page, it only said "respond" and she couldn't find where to pay or accept charges.  This happens the same with many guests.  Some have no issue and some can't seem to figure it out.  I do the same "request money" every time.

@Kelly-And-Dave2 

In this instance Kelly it's the guest playing games with you. If the guest had clicked accept, a page would have come up saying...."You have agreed to send  x mount of dollars  to ******* is this correct" and once that is clicked the transaction is done. 

What this guest is doing is finding any way she can to get out of the pet fee.

It's up to us hosts how far we want to push it. In the bulk of instances I let it go and cop a small loss but, I had a recent Instant Book saying how they are a quite small family and their stay would be perfect if I could offer them a discount. I said I do not offer discounts, I set my price to cover my costs and make a very modest profit.

I then noticed that the reservation was for one person so I sent back another message asking the guest to clarify how many guests would be staying as he had only booked for 1 but the message suggested others would be involved.

He then sent back that there were two adults and a 10 year old and a 2 year old coming, our property could accommodate their numbers so they thought it was ok.

I asked them to correctly amend their booking to the number of guests and the next thing I got back an alteration request to amend the booking to 2 adults and one infant. They made no mention of the 10 year old because they saw that the 10 year old would attract an extra guest fee of $15 per night!

This guest was determined he was going to 'Nickel & Dime' me one way or another so I got onto support and had them cancel the reservation and when I explained why they had no hesitation and did so without penalty to me.

Guests just want to play games and take advantage of you, and Kelly that's what this guest of yours is doing, it's not the program being glitchy, it's your skinflint guest!

Cheers........Rob

I find each time I try to request money for damage or missing items, the guest deny get upset and write an unfavorable review

Victor347
Level 2
San Juan, Puerto Rico

The Security Deposit is not being charge to guest during booking process and is a Loophole in Airbnb for guest not to take care of property, not to follow house rules and protocols.  Hotels and Car Rentals charge a hold on credit cards for a reason.

I currently had a situation with new Airbnb guest account booking.  

After getting caught having 3 additional guest without paying.  I nicely ask for the payment.  The first 2 days guest said all was excellent.   Than I reminded him about the additional guest payments.  No action from his side until I submitted through Airbnb the Additional Guest Alteration Request. 

He confirm the. Guest only to say that they were family who came to hangout. But funny they arrive with luggage when I saw them with my girlfriend.... Plus caught on my outside premises Security Cameras recording the following days confirmed.

He tried to intimidate me about the use of security cameras. 

He than fabricated a false claim about bed bugs to deviate the true issue with Airbnb using Mosquito and No See Um bites.  

He forgot I am a 20 Years Pest Control Consultant... 😎

He left my property trashed.. Send him a 6.5 wrestler looking staff to check my property.  10min later I checked my cameras and they started to leave. 

Short Story.... Found out the hard way Security Deposit Not Being Charged... No wonder guest not following House Rules and Protocols as before... They have no risk!! They can leave freely without payment of damages or additional guest.

I am a 5 Years Experience Airbnb Superhost and this case was not handle correctly by Airbnb Support staff.  Lots of details..

Airbnb Needs to Fix the Security Deposit issues Yesterday..Not Tomorrow..  Or more properties will be left trash or damaged... 

Airbnb paid for the deep cleaning fee... Not Guests.   They also avoided payment of additional guest. THATS when I confirm No Security Deposit being Charged at All..

Host.... you need to Call Airbnb and Claim about these Loopholes.... I was lucky.... Was able to solve but was stressing and time consuming.. 

But you need to pressure so to fix.. Now.. Call Airbnb.. Tell about it to other Airbnb Host friends.. Spread it in Social Media..

ITS the reason why suddenly you see so many news of Airbnb being trashed and damaged.  

Airbnb needs to stick to some of its Roots.. Security Deposit charge is a Must.. 

The Host Guaranteed Insurance should cover after deduction in the Security Deposit is used...  Like a deductible in a Car Insurance...

I already spread word to friends that Host.. Do same plus Call Airbnb...

Cheers

Victor Torres 

5 Years Experience SuperHost 

Over 800 Reviews , Over 3000 Stays

Come and Vacation in the Tropical Island Paradise of Puerto Rico 

www.airbnb.com/p/vacation-in-pr 

I love to Airbnb Host

@Victor347  Even if the security deposit was charged to the guest, it doesn't cover anything but damages. The host is responsible for enforcing their own house rules. If you see more people arriving than booked, you don't allow them in until they amend the booking and pay for the extra guests. If they are already in the house and won't pay, you have to tell them to leave.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Kelly-And-Dave2 this is how I have collected pet fees for several years and I rarely have this problem. How long have you been seeing it?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Kelly-And-Dave2 yes, my guests have this issue all the time (I charge for early check in and late check out). Direct them to airbnb.com/resolutions to find your invoice. That solves the issue 99 percent of the time. Those who still can not see it, need to get glasses and basic computer training but since we can not tell them that, direct them to the "send money" button

What do you charge for early check in?

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Kelly-And-Dave2 

You do have a valid point, come to think about it this just happened 2x with us with the last two guests just recently, so it appears that something is screwy and not working well with some guests. There is also the issue of people trying to book and the fee is $16k+. 

Glad you brought it, so in the future perhaps the policy should be, (until further notice)  - IF you are bringing a pet, please bring cash for the fee - and skip the nightmare. 

Good luck.

@Kelly-And-Dave2  The issue for accepting payments is a glitch on Airbnb's end. When you send the request for money they get an email notification. If they click the link from a desktop the link brings them to where they can pay it but if it's from a phone the link takes them to the app and it doesn't give a payment button. I'm not sure if they don't have the app installed if it would still be an issue from a phone or not. We ask our guests to try from a desktop and that solves it. We also recommend just charging a flat pet fee.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Kelly-And-Dave2   When you send the Pet Fee Request via the resolution Center, also send the guest a nice note via the message center telling them that they have to log into their traveler account via a web browser to acknowledge and PAY the Pet Fee.  They CANNOT pay via the App on their phone.  AirBnB does not seem to care that the APP does not work for resolution center payments.