Istanbul - Hosts need to be registered or guests get 10 minutes to leave, and passports taken.

David2521
Level 1
Southampton, United Kingdom

Istanbul - Hosts need to be registered or guests get 10 minutes to leave, and passports taken.

Hi everyone

I have just booked a month in Istanbul.

This morning I have been informed that all airbnb hosts in Istanbul need to have a Tourism Operation License, everyone in the building must be told and agree, and a declaration needs to be made to the tax office.

If this has not been done, the police can arrive, take guest passports and make the guest leave the property within 10 minutes.

I have examples of this happening to guests, and they claim they did not receive any support from airbnb. I have personally had this problem in Singapore and do not wish to repeat it again. I have stayed in many places where it is not allowed, but the host never says until after I arrive, when it is too late, and they tell me to say I am a friend coming to visit. It's an uncomfortable situation.

Can anyone confirm the law in Istanbul?

Does the host need to have a Tourism Operation License?
Do they need to be registered with the tax office?
Do all the people in the building need to know?

Has anyone had this happen to them?

What does airbnb say about this, and why is this information not given on the host's page?

Thanks
Dave

18 Replies 18

Probably there is some kind of "hotline", but don't expect someone to speak english there.

Mario508
Level 2
Porto, Portugal

Hello there, did you manage to get the license in the end? Was it straight forward? I intend to start renting out my apartment but am concerned about the process of opening a business and the expense of doing that. 

hi, 

I’m completely shocked. I booked Our place in Airbnb in Istanbul for our next week trip. I just got messages that my Airbnb is canceled!! 
the host informed me , Airbnb is illegal in turkey ?. Since when ? And why Airbnb doesn’t do anything? 

Josué16
Level 2
São Paulo, Brazil

Thanks for sharing, David. That's why sometimes I fear making a first lease on a property. Even if it looks very nice and comfortable.

**[Phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]