It Finally Happened

Daniel1992
Level 10
Downingtown, PA

It Finally Happened

I've seen several posts here of potential guests asking for discounted rates for various reasons.  It finally happened to me over the weekend!

"Hello! I am a student at xx University and I commute from xx where I currently reside. I will be taking a winter session condensed course running Monday through Friday, 12/17 - 1/18 and was wondering if you would be open to renting the room Sunday - Thursday nights for a slightly reduced rate the weeks of (Phone number hidden by Airbnb) and 1/13 - 1/17. Let me know if this is something you would consider and a price per week you think would be fair. Thank you! xx."

Thanks to all of you, I sent her a message saying that the discounted rates are for full weekly and monthly rentals only, as the price listed is already fair.  Funny thing is, this person has only been a member since November 2018 (I'm pretty sure they signed up JUST to ask me to lower my rate), so there are no reviews.  They also don't have a profile picture.

32 Replies 32
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Daniel1992  Seems like a very politely worded request.  Sometimes the usual discount for the weekly booking is close to a full price for 5 days.  I wonder if the newbie calculated that.  

I wonder too, though the entire time frame is a full month.  She probably would have saved money overall by booking the full month.

Janet440
Level 2
Galveston, TX

It seems that her request for a better price may have offended you, but I agree that she worded it respectfully. When someone has asked this of me, I just respond, “I’m sorry but this is the best I can do for you!”  Many people are in the position that they have either  been taught to always ask for a discount or they are simply hopeful. It works with me sometimes—if my bookings have been low, I’ll ageee to it and I’m glad they asked rather than going elsewhere! 

Oh, I'm not offended at all, but based on the feedback in this forum from other hosts, when someone asks for a discount, especially those with no review or profile picture, they are most likely not going to be a good guest.

Youd be correct.  It does depend on context, how much information they provided you, reason for discount and their writing skills. If they sent me a reservation request and not an inquiry id consider the discount on this occasion because id know they were serious and they seemed respectful enough. 

In regards to photo, i found out they could have uploaded one but it takes a few mins to hours for it to become active apparently. 

Id ask them to upload a photo and consider the option of a discount. 

cheers. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Congratulations 🙂 I still didn't have an honour to be asked for a discount but I know my time will come eventually hehe

Yep!  It's only a matter of time.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Branka-and-Silvia0 I get asked almost all the time and half of the times are after they booked. "Sorry my prices are already at a discount for what I offer." I had one book for 4 days and wanted me to throw in a 5th day for free for 11 people. They ended up staying the 5 days, but they paid for the pleasure of it. 

@Letti0

ah...our prices are so low that it's just a metter of time when people will ask us to pay more  😄 lol

Love it @Branka-and-Silvia0 🤣

"Hi, XXX, just found your listing and it's beautiful, I'm so excited to come stay. But your prices seem way too low for what you offer. I've filled out a "Send money" form, to top it up $10/night because I think you deserve more than what you're charging."

Can you imagine?

@Sarah, I'm actually staying in an Airbnb in Quebec right now that is WAY to cheap! Maybe it is just the exchange rate but I was going to leave an extra $15 cash tomorrow at check out as a "Thank you." It does exist!

@Emilia42   Good on ya! It's definitely a good deal for Americans when they book in Canada because of the exchange rate (although a few years back, the Canadian dollar actually went higher than the US dollar for a couple of months) A Canadian friend with an airbnb suite provides a lot of extras not mentioned- she often gets $20 tips and 3 young German guys left her a $50 bill.

@Sarah977  this is what I call "a dream guest" ... we can only dream about him hahaha 😄