It is almost 2 hours after check out, the guests are not here, all their stuff still is. What do

Mary1211
Level 5
Somerville, MA

It is almost 2 hours after check out, the guests are not here, all their stuff still is. What do

I have guests whose check out was today at 10 am, all of their stuff is still here. They haven't gotten back to me about when they actually plan on leaving.

My house rules state check out is 10 am sharp, unless there's previous communication. 

I'm not comfortble having guests here after their check out time, and I need to leave my house.

I am planning on locking the door and changing the code so that I'm home when they come back to get their things. Is that reasonable?  Has anyone else dealt with this problem before? How did they navigate it when unable to get in touch with the guests? 

As a note, these same guests were very upset when they came to my place and the room hadn't been changed over (and were refunded fully for that night.  I did make an earnest mistake, fixed the problem in less than an hour, and offered a cleaning refund). 

Thank you! 

7 Replies 7
Kelmany0
Level 4
Ontario, Canada

I would move their things to the front entrance and send a resolution request of $100 packing fee and deactivate the code and message them on air bnb, call Airbnb and call the guest. You are contacted to provide them space until 10 am, after that whatever they left behind is junk and you have the right to charge disposal fees

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Call Airbnb CS.  (You are entitled to charge them 2x one night for overstay according to Airbnb TOS, BTW.)

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

They came back around 1 pm or so, and were confused as to why the door code didn't work (I told them in messages why it was locked). I told them I'd be back later. They finally got their stuff around 5.

I did inform the AirBnB customer service person on the case about the 2x nightly rate, as they reached out to Airbnb when they arrived to find out the bed hadn't been made (Totally my own mistake, though they left and got a hotel and demanded a refund for that night). 

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Mary1211 what have you done???  Have you had contact with the guests? What are they saying, doing? How about Airbnb?  Waiting to hear about this one.

Was their stuff packed or did YOU pack it all up??

Clara

There stuff was exploded over every surface of the guest room, and bathroom.  I reached out to them several times and didn't hear back. Finally I had to get on with my day, and locked the door and changed the code.  Around 1 p m I got a message from them explaining how they couldn't get in, and they couldn't respond because they were in interviews. 

I told them I was in class (I was) and would get in touch with them after, when I knew I'd be home, and they had until 5:30 too get their stuff.  They told me they'd be there at 5, they got there at 5:10 and by 5:29 they were still in the room. I very firmly told them they had to really go, and the scrambled, and were out by 5:33.. and by "out" I mean hanging out on my front porch...

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mary1211 I don't see any reason not to change the door code- the guests are past check-out, therefore have no right to either occupy the guest room with their stuff, nor have access to your home, and don't respond to you trying to contact them.

Kristy43
Level 5
West Moonah, Australia

@Mary1211 , I'm with @Sarah977... the booking has expired so you are more than within your rights to change the door code and pack up their belongings.  Just make sure you call Airbnb to inform them of the situation and leave a mesage/phone your guests to explain and ask that they call you back to arrange a mutually agreeable pick up time.