It might be hard to top this

Answered!
Stephen1156
Level 10
Brogo, Australia

It might be hard to top this

It has been 12 months since we moved to Brogo in rural New South Wales to see if we could run a bed and breakfast and bush retreat. Doing this was a dream that my partner, Alli, and I have had for about 10 years. We remain very grateful and privileged to be able to achieve our dream.

Our aim was to create a wonderful bush retreat experience - a place for relaxing, for exploring our interesting tourist region, and a place that people felt was a treat but still a home away from home. We have met some amazing and interesting people since we opened in March 2021. We've also received some great feedback and we now have returning guests and even extended families and friends of past guests are visiting.

While positive feedback for us has become frequent, today was a little bit special. Read the review attached. Make sure you get to the end. 😁

Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 8.51.31 pm.png
1 Best Answer
John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

Well done @Stephen1156 ! 

I've also managed to have great reviews including a proposal that they were kind enough to include in the reviews. I'm still a bit surprised to have at least one or two honeymooners a month, two anniversaries a week, birthdays, and guest attending weddings are the norm. 

But even now even with the amazing reviews its always a challenge to keep up with the changing patterns of cancellations, changing dates, increasing damage to linens, and such, because its just the few that are increasing rates for the rest of my guest, so try and advocate for my ideal guest as the bottom line for host includes these kinds of damage and changing behaviors. Thankfully I do have some room to go up in rates but have enjoyed offering a great value as that's what I like, so try and develop my business model around that, as there has to be some substance for guest. 

You would think I was the worst host ever based on other host but my guest love it and I do my best to look out for them. 

Edit: I recall after my first 50 five star reviews I considered myself invulnerable and first posted here with my demands, but now 184 all five star reviews later realize the risk are even higher as policies keep changing. My goal is to host 5 years but who knows. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 7.53.06 AM.png

View Best Answer in original post

13 Replies 13
Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's amazing, @Stephen1156

It's lovely to hear stories about dreams coming true. Your guests were clearly able to feel all the care and positivity you put into your listing 

Thanks for sharing 🙂

Marg11
Level 10
Warwick, Australia

Cheered me up after a 2 day stay we shouldn't have allowed and finally being called a racist!

He had 2 previous poor reviews out of 4, left early and his companions hadn't heard or read our house rules.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Stephen1156, it's so lovely to hear how your hosting journey has been going, and also to be able to realize your dream! This is an absolutely wonderful review to receive from your guest!

When are you expecting your next guests? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

G'day (goodnight - I'm off to bed as it's 11:00 pm here), @Quincy! No shortage of guests for us! We had a check-in today of a family for four days in our large cottage and we have a two-night check-in at our small cottage (the one reviewed) tomorrow.

Right now, we're booked pretty solid to the end of April (except for a week off in March). We expected it would take us a year to ramp up the cottages on our bush property, but they have been busy (except during COVID lockdowns) since Day One. We're incredibly fortunate.

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Stephen1156 Great recommendations from your guest. Sometimes time out from the rat race for city people is their therapy for revival and gain a boost of energy for the next year. Last year we had an engagement proposed on Boxing day on the beach . An English couple who zoomed home to parents 5.30 am Aus time and about 8.30pm UK time. The bride to be had no idea. I can still hear the squeals of excitment when their friends called. Later, proudly showing us the ring. It feels good that you can share your space with them.

Huskisson has been thriving with tourist but expect they will be back at work and school next week.

We are fully booked ou till the end of April (after easter and ANZAC Day long weekend) then we are having a break.

Happy for you and Alli and your adventure in Airbnb for 2022.

Stephen1156
Level 10
Brogo, Australia

Thanks a bunch, @Laurelle3.

Bravo!

Pam5
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Malindi, Kenya

This is so amazing what was  once your dream has now been forever engraved in someones new chapter of their lives. Congratulations to the couple

PamG
John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

Well done @Stephen1156 ! 

I've also managed to have great reviews including a proposal that they were kind enough to include in the reviews. I'm still a bit surprised to have at least one or two honeymooners a month, two anniversaries a week, birthdays, and guest attending weddings are the norm. 

But even now even with the amazing reviews its always a challenge to keep up with the changing patterns of cancellations, changing dates, increasing damage to linens, and such, because its just the few that are increasing rates for the rest of my guest, so try and advocate for my ideal guest as the bottom line for host includes these kinds of damage and changing behaviors. Thankfully I do have some room to go up in rates but have enjoyed offering a great value as that's what I like, so try and develop my business model around that, as there has to be some substance for guest. 

You would think I was the worst host ever based on other host but my guest love it and I do my best to look out for them. 

Edit: I recall after my first 50 five star reviews I considered myself invulnerable and first posted here with my demands, but now 184 all five star reviews later realize the risk are even higher as policies keep changing. My goal is to host 5 years but who knows. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 7.53.06 AM.png

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wow, that's such a lovely review, @John5097!

Congrats on all the 5 star reviews you've received, I'm positive they're very well deserved. 

Hopefully you'll achieve all your hosting goals 🤞

Thanks @Liv !

Hosting has defiantly exceeded my expectations and doing much better than I thought I would have. Just gotta stay on top of things and the risk can be worth it! Hopefully guest will keep loving it!   

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@John5097 I'm sure they will! 🙂 

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

that is so lovely! we've had 1 proposal, it's magical. next time it happens i will try to photograph it so we can include it in stories to tell on the webpage.