'It was basic but that was reflected in the price'

Ben253
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

'It was basic but that was reflected in the price'

I have been hosting since the beginning of this year (on and off, as and when I feel like it) and have mostly had pretty good experiences with Airbnb but just recently have had a string of four star reviews.

The most recent I feel was judging me against a luxury hotel, and I have yet again seen the line 'It was basic, but this was reflected in the price'.

I actually somewhat resent this; my guest paid for a private room (which she got) access to the kitchen and bathroom, and actually I was not at home all evening and did not arrive back until she had vacated the following day, and so she had the whole apartment to herself! I am probably overthinking this, and beating myself up to a degree thinking 'well, what more can I do?' - everything that is listed was provided, and then some little extras on top to make the guests stay that bit more pleasant. I charge well below the going rate for my area (the closest hotel to me charges in the region of £150 a night, and when I had a friend staying there recently was surprised to find that their rooms are definitely not £150 a night material!) 

Is there anything in my listing that I should change? or am I just trying to please everyone and should just accept the fact that will never happen? I love hosting on Airbnb, but I love my home more, and am more inclined to stop hosting all together than face people slating my home! 

22 Replies 22
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hi,

The review says actually: "Good place for a practical trip, as a holiday stay it would be more basic but this is reflected in price". And yould mentioned 4 stars were given. So the guest is satisfied, but not overenthousiastic. That's all there is, I think it is an honest review just reflecting how the guest experienced your place. I think there is nothing to worry about.

Best regards, Emiel

Ben253
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

I just hate the whole 'but...' comment. You get what you pay for realistically, and when you are paying £35 a night for a room in zone 1 (or under when demand is low) you aren't getting the Ritz! It's just one of those things I guess...  My concern is that potential longer term guests may be put off by such a comment. I do tend to market my room more for one or two night stays (I prefer it that way personally) but I feel that I really do go above and beyond to make people feel at home and comfortable - I just literally feel like I cannot please some people! This is the second 4* review in a few days (the last complained there was dust in the bath . . . which makes zero sense, as I clean the bathroom daily... that has now been upped to twice daily! I should put my prices up...!)

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Ben253 I have the same issue with one of my properties and I have learned to just get over it and accept that it is what it is. Airbnb doesn't give guests any help on how to rate budget accommodation - really, the accuracy should be the number one factor. If Airbnb simply recorded the rating information it wouldn't matter to me, but when they start emailing telling you that your listing is at risk of being suspended when you have several ratings below 5* I have an issue. This, together with the Superhost status being more about how they felt about the property and less about what the host did to make their stay enjoyable highlights a massive issue with the entire rating system and use of it. My rant for the day!

Ben253
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

It is almost infuriating, and I feel that a lot of the time some guests just will not give 5* - which if they are comparing me to a luxury hotel, I am definitely not going to match up! I wish they would give more information to guests after they check out stating that 5* means that everything was as expected or better. My 5* reviews have dropped from 87% to 83% this week and it is actually making me feel like either not leaving reviews for guests new to Airbnb, or just not even worrying about the superhost status. My place is in a really well linked part of town, and considering we are on the edge of zone 1 London (and a lot of bars and clubs!) it is incredibly peaceful and quiet - I am honest in the listing content, and still find people impossible to please from time to time. Oh well - I am not gonna take it personally (although it did feel bloody good to vent!) 

@Ben253 Hello - I was curious about what you wrote and looked at your listing, reviews, etc. And did I see it correctly that you only responded to this one guest? Greta? After all those like 28 rave reviews, on your listing page.  I didnt see thanks to each of them on your listing page. But, she gives 4 stars and gets a response.??? I don't really understand why you have 4 pics of the bed/bedroom - only need one good one. You are super host and so that says alot -Congrats,  basic is NOT a bad word. If you look at some other listings and rooms offered you will see a difference. I think you might add some sorta colorful spread, blanket or something on the bed so it looks alittle more inviting - and that wall over the head is begging for a large bright picture/painting/something - thrift stores/ markets or such you can pick up inexpensively and that will add alot.  Also, to your photos maybe an outside pic of where they will be staying? The ceiling shot of flags - I would keep as a surprise - You as a therapist know our words/ or what we write are important - you call your place quirky - not sure what that means to you - I think ODD as choice of words - but Im american - I think you are being too hard on yourself. In my guest book I tell guest that to a host 4 stars is a failure! Some folks read and I think you are correct you can't please em all - for many 5 means perfect! This is totally coming from a place of wanting your experience hosting to be great. Absolutely, no other intent Ben.  Happy Hosting, Clara B. 

Ben253
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Hey Clara, thanks for your response. 

I always respond privately, thanking them for their stay and inviting them to stay again should they find themselves back in town. I have my Airbnb, but I also run a business alongside this and have the policy that unless there is something that needs addressing there is no point in endless back and forths publicly. If the guest was happy and left a 5 star rating I *ALWAYS* respond by message or in the private section to thank them 🙂

I do need to get some new pictures of the room done - those were taken in the summer, and  I have since popped a few scatter cushions on the bed in the current theme of the room (cream and duck egg primarily!) and the huge space above the bed has a lovely canvas above it now! The majority of the time I receive complements on how homely it is - which is why I get a little irritated when someone seems dissatisfied. 

I have thought about photographing the outside of the building but it is a real secluded entrance, and literally does not look very much. Although, I may try and get a shot from the guest room window showcasing the London skyline when the trees have finished shedding their leaves. 

You are also absolutely right when you say quirky = odd; My house is like a little treasure trove of travel nick nacks from all over the globe! There are Nepalese wall hangings next to pots and odd carvings from Bolivia, Elephants from Thailand and prayer wheels from the Himalayas on the walls and a whole load of useless, but beautiful, tat hanging all over! I feel that odd can be perceived as negative so  I went with quirky - any suggestions on how to word that better are welcome! 😄 

@Ben253 thanks for your reply - and thanks for explaining so much that we miss when we just don't know. About the question you asked me: you might use the term eccentric or far out, kooky, oddities...........[ World treasures are found in my home and some are fascinating,  kooky, eccentric and some odd - all fun reminders of the diversity that I've found and experienced in the world of my travels. Hope you mght find them of interest as well.] Just an idea. Ben all the cool stuff you describe reminds me of my home.....since I've also traveled the world and done lots of mission work and have some real treasures - to me, they are treasures!!! some folks would dig them others not so much! 

I agree, new photos would be great and KICK up the price!!!  seems to me, those that pay more, appreciate more. I might be wrong. But, just saying. All the best Ben, Clara B..

Ben253
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

I may steal that sentence word for word if you don't mind? I really love it! (' World treasures are found in my home and some are fascinating,  kooky, eccentric and some odd - all fun reminders of the diversity that I've found and experienced in the world of my travels. Hope you mght find them of interest as well.') 

Yeah, if my house was on fire I would grab the useless stuff I have picked up first. It is the story and the origin of each peice that means so much rather than the actual value or how it looks! (my favourite would be the vase I bought in Sumatra. Hideous piece that I bought out of sufferance from a dear old lady with terrible dental hygiene - lovely lady, who put her arm around me and proceeded to count the lizards on the pot, all the while breathing in my face! I don't know if that was her tactic but I bought it, gave her a huge hug and wished her peace and love!) 

A lot of people are saying kick up the price...and you know, maybe it really is time. I am currently charging 75% less than the going hotel rate around here - a saving is a saving, and who knows; maybe it will attract a nicer guest 🙂

@Ben253 I am honored you want to use my words exactly.............I wrote it with that hope. Cool! my pleasure. So new photos, price increase and happy hosting. It is all small stuff in the end. Blessings Ben, Clara B.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

When too many complainers come through my budget priced rooms, my inclination is to charge more and offer less.

There is little reward to offering budget priced rooms, only the knowledge that you are provideing a service to those who otherswise would not be able to travel. But  sometimes that makes one feel like a martyr and dissapointed when not appreciated.  

I'm hoping you have just been unlucky and will get more appreciative guests soon.

Ben253
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

You know, the cruel irony is, that I charge a higher price on a weekend and those people have ALWAYS left me 5 star reviews. It seems to me that the people who are paying less are the ones who are complaining the most (always the way really..!). Might be worth switching my price up and letting those who cannot afford it otherwise find alternate arrangements.

I know full well I am offering one of the cheapest room in the area more or less - that does not bother me, but when people expect to pay 75% less than the going hotel rate around here and receive that same service...? That really grinds my gears! 

Belinda66
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

I had a guest who said that my decor was not to his taste - and I just thought for goodness sake - there are photos! So if you don't like it - don't book it and then complain. He also gave me 4 stars, but i think some people have exceptionally high standards and don't realise that airbnb expects 5 stars as normal and not as exceptional.

As it is there is no way of rating the host as exceptionally fabulous. And when reviewing I hesitate to give less than 5 stars - because I know the implications - and some times they aren't really justified - not for guests either.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Sometimes the price you charge, if too low, appears to serve as a discount and will attract the discount type. If they are going to leave 4 Stars, perhaps it is best to charge 'full' price and feel a lot better. 😉

Ben253
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Yeah, I think this is what I am going to do - up the price! I should have learnt my lesson when I did a discount deal through my business last year (I work as a holistic therapist - did Groupon to attract new clients; WORST clients ever) Often the daily deal, or discount types are incredibly hard to please and expect the most for the least...!