Items Left Behind

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Items Left Behind

How could I forget that_.png

Hello everybody!

Do you know that moment when you're cleaning after your guest has left and you find all kinds of things and you think, how could one forget that? I have found iPods, keys, headphones, and even tablets/laptops!

I once had to call my guests to let them know that one of them forgot their laptop (found it behind the bed!). My poor guests had to travel all the way back from the airport to collect it.

I'm wondering if any of you have had the same experience?

Love to hear what you've got to say 🙂

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

110 Replies 110
Jeroen11
Level 2
Nijmegen, Netherlands

I don't think I've ever found items left behind which are more valuable of the cost of sending it by mail (well, except for a stash of Ecstacy...). But if I did, I'd probably send the guest a note saying "Hey, I found your (...), please send me your adress details and wire me the cost of shipment, and I will send it by mail at my soonest convenience". Seems like the fair thing to do, right?

A lady phoned me in a panic, "Please tell your cleaner not to toss out the ashes in the little box. It's my DOG!" I hadn't yet cleaned the unit and she met me there to collect Fido!

I've cut down on this somewhat by changing our check-out instructions to remind guests to look under beds, behind the sofa, in the washer and dryer, etc.

Many of our guests are visiting family that lives nearby, so they ask their local family members to come by to get things; others come once or twice a year, so if they wish I can hold things for their next visit; some things I ship, others I've been told to donate of recycle. 

I do wonder what my host in Venice thought upon finding the bike helmet I left on top of a wardrobe.  It was a cool color and looked good there, but I had taken a fall in it and didn't think it worthwhile to carry home to the states.

In  years hardly anything a used hm hm under the bed (forgetful man) and a pair of pants on the doorstep clean dropped out of a bag I guess.. and an umbrella,

(same people) I keep for them in case they come back as I am moving soon maybe I need to trace these people now. a necklace of little value and a ring...which I held on to for 2 years as I was so busy I could not find time to drop it off at a niece of the guests (she obviously could not be bothered to walk up here to get it either) this was all in the UK in ~Brighton in the end I dropped ring  off...and she was pleased. 

To the person with the helmet - what if someone else used it damaged  -unknowingly..and is it fair to leave large items for someone else to deal with? I don't think so, but that is an opinion not a fact ..I would have asked host what to do with it and she might have had an idea of where you could of disposed of it. 

Mehri0
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Someone else using it would do it for their own risk.

Em4
Level 10
Franz Josef Glacier, New Zealand

@Quincy  after checking each room for its contents against a written record and photos, checking under the bed is the next action.  ive not found a laptop but the same as everyone else, headphones, pens, pads, books, sunglasses, open condom packets etc.  everything except rubbish is bagged and stored with the room number, date, name.  the guest is emailed for instructions.  my recording protocols are based on robin's (mount barker, oz).

what i have been asked is to organise the return of clothing items that were forgotten at another BNB.

🙂

Em

Hukawai Lodge

Franz Josef, NZ

https://www.airbnb.co.nz/rooms/15418840

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Impressive! You seem to operate very efficiently.

With all the stuff I found over the past few months, I could open up a shop! 🙂

It's unbelievable what guests leave behind don't you think @Em4

-----

Em4
Level 10
Franz Josef Glacier, New Zealand

@Quincy  a lot of my protocols are based on challenges BNB hosts have discussed here, on the ingenious and practical ways they've overcome those challenges and on the recording protocols they've developed.  re the latter i've based a lot of my recording protocols on robin's (mt barker, oz).

laughing, its entirely comic the items either left behind or that guests would like returned.

🙂

Do you all throw out all food and wine or liquor that is left. Sjould these items go to the host or let the cleaner keep if she wants the liquor or food

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Sharron21

Welcome to the Community Center!

I suppose you could discuss this with your cleaner? 

-----

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

I had guests leave a few things behind, nothing of much value. some I shipped, some they said they don't care, so I tossed them. Still, this is my personal "policy" about things left behind :

1.) no matter what it is, I message the guest as soon as I find the item, offering to send it, asking for shipping address.

2.) if it is an item easy to ship within the US, I do it as a curtesy to the guest, up to a cost of about $15-18. ( which is less than 10% of my minimum 2 night stay) . I think such curtesy without looking for reimbursement goes a long way in building trust and goodwill. I see it in relation to how much they spent for their stay. If shipping costs were higher than 10-15% of the stay, I would kindly ask for reimbursement by using Airbnb's platform for "request money".

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's so nice of you @Annette33!

Some do not realise that they lost an item until after some time passes. It's very kind that you let your guests know they've lost an item and even decide to send the item back as a goodwill gesture!

I'd love to hear more of your stories.

Keep up the good work!

-----

@Annette33 For me the trouble is more about making time to get to the post office or shipping place so my new policy is to allow the guest to decide how put out they'd like to be to receive their item back : I ask them to mail me an addressed/stamped package and then I will return the item to them in that. 

So far, the guy who left his motorcycle helmet did, the people who left costume jewelry or clothes behind haven't. 

But like you I always notify them and let them decide

@Kelly149 , I hear you about the time factor... Still, I find that being accommodating about it will benefit a host on the long run. We are in the service industry. Packing something into a box a customer might send me sounds more time consuming than me just doing it, grabbing the right size from what I have handy, or using US postal priority boxes , as most clothing fits easily  into a US priority box.

I was so thankful to a small hotel owner who shipped me my hiking shoes, notified me before I even noticed it. Had she asked me to send her a stamped box, I wouldn't be nearly as appreciative and impressed as I was with them.( I did reimburse them for the shipping cost and was very pleased she had found the cheapest and fastest:US Mail). They did get business through me  after that, so there is the pay off - in contrast to another hotel that i had to ask 3 times to send my favorite T-Shirt. They finally did, then charged $36.00 to my credit card for what should not have been more than $10.  I was not pleased, left a review on tripadvisor about that, many people read it..