Items for Kitchen - Are these needed - bread-maker / George Forman / Water Filter

Items for Kitchen - Are these needed - bread-maker / George Forman / Water Filter

Hi

i am thinking of upgrading my kitchens. I started off without a microwave but quickly got asked for once even though it wasn't in the listing. I am seeing a lot of people now baking bread, it seems to the the cool thing to do. My question is whether you think buying a bread-maker for my airbnb is a good use of $? I also thought about a George Forman as I don't have balconies and someone might want to grill. I have read a lot about guests wanting bottled water but for me surely a water filter jug is a cheaper option and just as reassuring for a guest?

7 Replies 7
Hilary79
Level 8
Spokane, WA

Bread maker, George Forman grill - not needed to be successful.

Bottled water, or a water filter system (prefilled so guest has cold water on arrival) is helpful.   (This is actually a requirement to be an Airbnb Plus host.)

@Seth157 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Seth157  I would say no on both, my guess is most of your guests are out sightseeing and will not be home making bread.  Maybe if this was a villa in Tuscany hanging out and baking would be more likely.  I am against providing bottled water, its too wasteful.  I would recommend maybe just put a water filter on the tap and provide an empty clean container they can put their own water in.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Seth157 

I would say not necessary, unless you are trying to sell a particular type of experience like @Mark116 describes. I have found, in terms of kitchen equipment for guests, the most important thing is having plenty of plates, cutlery, glasses etc. It's amazing how people can freak out if you don't put the dishwasher on as soon as it gets 1/4 full, but if they have enough stuff to use, they get a bit calmer about it!

I don't provide bottled water either. I have some in the fridge which I offer to guests if they would like a glass of water when they arrive as some people are funny about drinking tap water. After that, it's up to them. They can buy bottled water if they prefer it but the tap water is perfectly safe here so I'd personally rather not add to the mountain of single use plastic. I do have a water filter on my tap, but stopped even telling guests about it because 99% of the time, they do not remember.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Seth157  The more appliances you provide, the more there are for guests to use incorrectly or break or leave filthy.

And single use plastic water bottles are an environmental disaster. A water filter, whether o the tap itself, under the sink, or just a Brita-type jug is fine.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Seth157, I get it - you want to provide people with all the convenient appliances, but honestly, they won't use them (apart from the microwave - I also ended up buying one because people kept asking). But people won't bake bread on their vacation. The grill isn't necessary either - they'll  just work with what you've got. And it's just more stuff for you to clean properly.

I definitely agree with the water filter though. Plastic water bottles are an environmental disaster.

@Seth157 You don't have to provide a special appliance for every type of food someone might possibly be craving. Your listing is in downtown Seattle, where virtually any kind of food is readily available for guests in a short distance - not a rustic cabin in the countryside where all there is to do at night is bake bread (which, at any rate, requires only a mixing bowl and an oven - any bakery on your block can turn out something far more palatable than the sad logs of sawdust generated by an electric bread machine).

A water filter, as others have mentioned, is a nice touch. What do you look for first in a kitchen when you're travelling? Personally, I'm relieved to find truly sharp knives (one detail offsite hosts virtually everywhere seem to overlook) and ice in the freezer. I don't care for microwaves, but if there's one appliance worth a little space on the countertop it would be a toaster.

Thanks everyone! Going to get the water filters! I already got ice trays as well!