Items guests left behind

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Items guests left behind

PJMPHOTO18Q326_TR5DM3_182.jpg

Hello everyone,

Today's topic is something that probably most of us can relate to (the title says it!). 

A few years ago, I shared a topic asking all of you at the time whether you've had guests forgetting items. 

I received some lovely responses at the time and thought it'd be great to hear from you again as we as a community have grown so much and have welcomed many new members over the years (and perhaps more guests have forgotten items 😉 ).

I once had a guest forgetting a laptop! They departed early to the airport, but one of them came back to pick up the laptop after I gave them a quick call. 

Have you had any guests forgetting items?

I look forward to reading your stories!

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

59 Replies 59
Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Don't. Get. Me. Started. @Quincy 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I'm starting to get curious now @Nick 👀!

-----

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It was like a teaser trailer 😀

I need to finish some tasks and will come back for more details.

Hint: even a travelling ticket! Imagine the drama for getting it back on time.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Nick @Quincy 

Did you leave something behind on your recent vacations????

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Helen427, I once forgot a phone charger. I got so frustrated because I always check whether I have everything packed or not 😅

Have you ever forgotten anything @Helen427

-----

@Quincy  Whenever I travel, I have a written list of "last minute" things- the stuff you can't pack up the night before you're leaving. Like your phone charger, the favorite pillow you might travel with that's in the bed, the lunch you made the night before to take on your journey that's in the fridge. That list makes it easy and has made it so I've never ended up leaving anything behind. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Keys to my own home @Quincy , alas inside my own home leaving me in a bit of a panic for a night but all sorted thanks to lovely friends who operate a Bed & Breakfast for 5 star care for the night (it wasn't an ABB) and someone else having a spare key I managed to get back inside!

Sometimes things possibly happen to those of us who live with the impacts of Head injuries.

When Guests leave things behind, please stop and consider that they may have memory challenges due to injuries or other reasons, rather than overlook their needs.

Whilst some are generally slack at organising themselves others do have not so visible challenges they prefer to keep private.

@Jeani-and-David0 @Laurelle3 @Elena87 and others

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Quincy  @Nick 

I will be first common member of the community to post here!  😊

I had an uncle that once forgot his luggage in the hotel. It is a true story indeed. It was a business travel and he thought that a friend who was with him had put the bag in the car trunk. He only took note of that when he got home. 😲 

The hotel it was in a city about 500 kilometers away! 😖😲

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oh noooo, nightmare situation 😱 @J-Renato0

Did he manage to get the suitcase back?

-----

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Yes @Quincy ! He phoned the hotel and asked to send the suitcase, but he had to pay the costs to dispatch it to him.  And he had also to put up with the jokes about his "feat"🙂

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Quincy  @Nick 

I can imagine it. 

Once, long time ago, a guest phoned me apparently panicking and said - I and my friend are about to go to the airport. I left the key inside the apartment and just closed the door because we are leaving now. We are with our lugagge but we forgot the airline tickets inside, I think it is on the table".
I had to take a taxi around midnight to go there and open it to them.
No, they were not the guys you see in the pic !

Untitled-1.jpg

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw bad luck! @J-Renato0 

I remember the stress of having paper tickets but nowadays, I make use of a digital ticket on the phone. I found it very convenient at the airport especially when shops ask you for it when you buy snacks etc…

I can imagine your guests might have felt like the guys on the pic though 😂

-----

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Yes @Quincy , digital ticket easy the process! We buy it on line, no need to have It printed in most of the situations.
I remember those guys, they reserved via holiday lettings/trip-advisor. It was a long time ago before I joined Airbnb. I do not use H.Lettings/trip advisor anymore. I do not know precisely if smart phone and digital tickets it was very usual at that time. I think at that time "dumbphones" it was still prevalent. 😊

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

How you you cope though @Quincy when your phone battery is flat?
Or the power point connections don't work with your phone in a different country?

We have strict regulations in New Zealand relating to electrical items and not been able to so much as sell them second hand if they have a plug that isn't standard in NZ.