January 2021 occupancy

Emad32
Level 2
Lexington, KY

January 2021 occupancy

I am a recent Airbnb super host since July 2020. With the pandemic my occupancy rate was well over 80% so business was good. So good I decided to buy another townhouse and got it up and running in December. Also over 80% occupancy and great reviews.

my question is how are others doing in January? Is this a typical slow month? I have only hosted 2 days so far in January, what else can I do to get more occupancy? I have already ready price and provided frontline workers a 20% discount as of today.

any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

10 Replies 10
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

This tends to be locale-specific. Check your competition. Are they similarly sparse in January? If not, compare their rates, amenities, etc. to yours.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

historically January is one of our slowest months always. People tend to be recovering from busy fall of travel & holidays and the good weather hasn't kicked in yet

@Pat271 

The 1st month, Airbnb displays new listings in priority long enough to get your 1st reservations and reviews.
After 1 month,  new listings are small fish in a big pond.

@Nathalie-Et-Gilles0  Are you responding to the right post? The OP has been at this a lot longer than a month - she made Superhost last July.  She is inquiring about a general slowdown, not just a slowdown on her new listing.

@Pat271 

Sorry my reply was for @Emad32 who wrote :

"So good I decided to buy another townhouse and got it up and running in December. Also over 80% occupancy and great reviews."

Emad32
Level 2
Lexington, KY

Thank you for the insight. Yes, lots of available Airbnb homes not occupied.  Wasn’t sure if you had other sources to assist such as agents or other travel sources you use. 

just making sure I am leveraging all resources to assist in bringing in revenue.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Emad32  You might want to post it on Furnished Finder, a site for traveling nurses.  And get a few throw pillows for the dark sofa.

Thank you for the resource and decor recommendation. Appreciate it

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

For the past 15 years, January in Asheville was a slow month, as was September.  This may also be true for your area.

Add a few more pictures to the new townhouse - the parking availability, the outdoor space,  etc.  Your townhouse #1 appears much cosier than townhouse #2.  You took pictures with the curtains closed, is the view from the windows ugly?  

Hang the TV in townhouse #2 on the wall or put it on a larger, more substantial piece of furniture.  

Look at your description of townhouse #1, and copy most of it to townhouse#2 where it is the same distance from places and has the same features.  

Good luck with townhouse #2! @Emad32 

Love the insight. Thanks