Jet ski rental in addition to your lake home

Jet ski rental in addition to your lake home

Has anyone allowed guests to rent their jet ski's? I'm waiting for my insurance agent to call me back about coverage. I understand guest would need to sign a waiver (would love a copy of one) and watch a 10 min safety video. Do you rent by day, weekend? What if they are staying a week and only want to rent for 2 days. I am not nearby to know if they used only those 2 days. Anything to beware of? Experiences? I would love to see verbiage of what current hosts offer. Pricing... Thank you community for your help. 

9 Replies 9
Sean140
Level 5
Prosper, TX

Hello Katie and Chris.  I assist hosts in finding insurance for their AirBnB homes.  I would be happy to review your current needs to see if I can help.  Please contact me if you are interested.

**[Contact details removed - Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to advertise or share contact details on the Community Center. 

Please contact me about Airbnb boat rental. 

**[Contact details removed - Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to advertise or share contact details on the Community Center. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Personally I would be reluctant to rent out such an expensive item to guests which can have safety risks in the wrong hands.

you would need to check between guests to ensure no damage  @Sean140 

Sean140
Level 5
Prosper, TX

Definitely inspect after each guest finishes using the JetSkis as well as having waivers signed prior to use.  Making sure your insurer is aware of this risk and agrees to insure this is the most important part of the equation.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Katie-and-Chris2   If there is a jet ski rental agency nearby, USE THEM.  I would not undertake the risk.  If you do go forward with letting guests use your jet skis, a waiver should be provided by your insurance agent.  By the way, who is going to pay for the jet ski damage when the guest runs it into the dock?  (And the guest will probably still sue, even if a waiver is signed.)

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Katie-and-Chris2 , @Lorna170 

This is similar to the kayak conversation, feel free  to search the community above.

There are professional rental services for these types of activities.  They have the waiver contracts, insurance, etc.  Why recreate the wheel when you can avoid the liability and challenges when all you need to do is provide the contact information for (hopefully) local service providers.

We have kayaks and removed them from the cottage.  Insurance companies, from our perspective, are not recreational vehicle friendly.

Curious, with the liability and damage insurance provided by Airbnb, wouldn’t the jet skis be covered in the case they were damaged or someone got hurt?

Janeris0
Level 2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

I found it easier to partner with a boat company and buy a voucher for a half day rental. He gives it to me at a discount and I add it as a free amenity if you stay 7+ days. That way I don’t have the liability and my equipment is safe

Wouldn’t a wavier from a contract lawyer be sufficient to cover ANY potential litigation?