Just a Little Segregation?

Nancy67
Level 10
Charleston, SC

Just a Little Segregation?

If you are listening, ABNB, I would like to propose a bit of segregation on the boards to perhaps (?) clear up some miscommunications and get straight to the heart of some hosting challenges.

We have lots of Hosting Board categories--And the General Hosting Board is great! However, maybe by creating a sub category hosting board for "On-Site" Hosts and another for "Off-Site" Hosts might help Hosts seeking quick advice or those with experience, giving it, to make the posts a little more relatable?

Many issues & challenges I face as an on-site host are completely different from my friends on the other side of the aisle who are "Off-Site" Hosts. As an experienced host who has faced many challenges by guests, my questions and issues may be slightly different. Conversely, Off Site Hosts face a many issues I and possibly other On-Site Hosts can’t relate to—Get it?

We are all important to the community,  and I love hearing everyones ideas and stories. I understand we all have our place, agenda and niche. However, I would love to share ideas with fellow On-Site’ers and maybe strictly Off-Site’ers would want to do the same in the name of expediency and realtability?

Thanks!

20 Replies 20

@Karen313  Although I don’t know for sure, I believe all registered and perhaps non registered  users are able to access  all the designated forums in the Community. 

Again, im just guessing, but excluding, or delineation  of Guest And Host might violate the transparency guidelines they have worked so hard to establish and maintain. 

Perhaps I'm living in a dream world, but I honestly believe the vast majority of users in these forum are there for legit reasons and not there to instigate or seek out information for nefarious purposes.  

On some level I have to believe this, if not, I would never rent to anyone again. I think it’s important to stay focused on how I can continue to improve and maintain my property and fostering a spirit of goodwill with the guests rather than burning my energy on constantly being on guard against something that may or may not happen     

There is a locked host only forum, which is utterly underutilized IMO. So many gripes about guests should be kept behind that locked door. No one needs to see how the sausage is made... 

but remember, many hosts, are also guests. 

Yes, please! My eyes hurt from rolling them at folks giving incorrect advice. The off-site situation is entirely different than the home-share kind. The on-site folks have to deal with people face-to-face and the off-site don't. Do you really need a list of all the different issues? We've been laying those out already for months on this forum.

Venice2
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

We have an 8 bed property in Liverpool UK. We are off site hosts.

We are very new to Airbnb in that we are about to host our fouth guest for the month of September. Of the four different experieces, we have had hair raising issues every time. This is OK because we believe its in the mess and the mistakes made, that we learn the most. It's not so much the issues we face since starting this venture, its how we manage things and what we do as a consequence going forward.

Our question is to off site hosts. How do you manage emergencies when the contingencies you have in place fail? and are there any hosts within the L15 3HX vincity of Liverpool?  

Venice Smith

DTS INC LTD

Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Hi @Nancy67, if I didn't comment on this before (I just read "MRS. Lizzie's" ;-)))) comment to the community about this post.  Truly, this is a great idea.  (Will also cut down on the volume of emails I just delete--and then have to final-delete again because off-site simply doesn't apply at all to me.  Big time-saver!)

Thank you, and great that AirBnB is listening!

Kim

@Nancy67, Personally, I don't think of the issues as being that different from on-site and off-site hosts - we all deal with difficult situations where advice on how to handle those issues should be consistent.  Some issues may seem irrelevent in the moment, but eventually you might find yourself needing exactly that piece of advice.  Hosting should be about hosting and that should be the same, regardless of the property type. Please feel free to tell me I'm wrong, but I can't think of a single thing that doesn't relate to both on-site and off-site hosts.

The problem with the Community Forum is the inability to get to the answer you need quickly.  You search and then slog through dozens and dozens of answers that may, or may not, relate to your situation.  Additionally, old, outdated information still comes back and people follow that only to find themselves in hot water because the situation has changed with Airbnb (thinking specifically about a topic regarding service and comfort dogs that I constantly get thumbed up years later and the policy at Airbnb has changed so the information provided is now WRONG!)  The ability to get to specific answers to your specific situation and topics quickly and easily is really the need.  

Thank you for the opportunity to voice my opinion!