Just because a guest is very nice and friendly, that doesn't mean is a good guest...

José70
Level 5
Lisbon, Portugal

Just because a guest is very nice and friendly, that doesn't mean is a good guest...

During the Christmas weekend, we only had 1 room out of 5 with guests, 2 very nice and friendly girls staying for 4 nights. They were extremely polite and kind, and even brought some candy for us as a gift. They asked for a early check-in, a heater for the room( not an amennity available,but we got them one) and for the last 3 days of the stay, they had the house to themselves. The night prior to the check-out, the girls contacted us to see if we could arrange them a pick up taxi service, because they were going to leave at a very early hour. We said yes and booked a taxi to pick them up at 06h00  at the house. Because it was Christmas Eve and we had many things to do in the morning, we only went to the house at around 13h30. When we arrived,we saw that the front door was open. We entered the house, and we started to check if everything was ok. Their room door was closed and the keys were nowhere to be found. I used my master key to enter and noticed that the electric heater provided was on and had towels on top of it. The main window going to the street was wide open. The bathroom had the lights and ventilation on. We went to look for the keys and found them on top of the fridge, along with the hair dryer that was on the shared bathroom. A kettel was on top of the stove and the same was turned on, with the flame at a minimum. All of the water seemed to had already evaporated. This was the most irresponsable behaviour i have ever seen during my years hosting. So many things could have gone wrong. Now i have to give a review, but need time to calm down first. Was the communication good? Yes. Was the cleanliness good? Yes. Is that enough? NO. Maybe they overslept and had to leave in a hurry. Ok, i can understand that. But putting my house and livelihood at risk? i can't forgive that....

P.S. : Anyone has an idea how to write a review for this without coming on too strong or nasty? Thank you for your time.

7 Replies 7
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Hi @José70

You need to be strong and nasty, I certainly don't want them in my place.

"Very disappointed with these guests and would not recommend them to other hosts", give them 1 star.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@José70

Thumps down, they don't deserve to stay in anybody’s home and remember, if your home burnt down you’re a self-employed business man (that's sarcasm) as far as Airbnb would be concerned.

This should be a wake up call check immediately your household insurance cover.

REgards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

Максим0
Level 1
Chisinau, Moldova

I would write the same, you did here. Explain in review everything. They should Econscience... Everybody need to know about them. For example I don't want the quest like them. 

Susie5
Level 10
Boston, MA

@José70, I think you should mention "in addition to being quite demanding in terms of requests for additional services and amenities, they caused us serious safety concerns" or something along those lines in your review - that could have ended very badly.  Luckily it didn't!  One star and thumbs down, their Airbnb career will have ended before they can cause any further damage! Don't fear a bad review, you can always give your side of it in the feedback when both reviews are public. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I see them as: "Nice and pleasant girls, but unfortunately as guests they were very inconsidered and thoughtless about the most basic things and precautions; in example  X, Y and Z." (Giving short examples totally optional)

Spooky to think of the things that could have gone really wrong.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Please, just say what you said here.

"Guests were friendly and socially pleasant"

"Did not safely care for the home"

"Left heater on while windows were open"

Guests have no expectation of privacy in Airbnb. Just like  hosts, guests have agreed to the review system.

Keep it neutral, honest and do not judge them.

José70
Level 5
Lisbon, Portugal

Thank you for all the advices! Happy New Year to all! 🙂