Just in case you need a laugh

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

Just in case you need a laugh

I've seen this come up many times in the CC, but this morning I had a literal LOL moment.

My occupancy rate for June was 100%. My occupancy rate for July is 90%. My minimum nightly price is a very budget-friendly $42 (higher on weekends).

This morning, ABB suggested I lower my nightly price to....wait for it....$18!!

As we would say in the south, bless that little automated computer's heart.

🙂

31 Replies 31
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Suzanne302  I get told on my calendar to lower my price to $39 as that is my average nightly rate for Monday and Tuesday. I have an entire house that sleeps 12! I have yet to figure out where they are getting MY average nightly rate is that price just for those days of the week. Never gonna happen lol...

Hi, 

I’m in the same boat. I host in Tucson, and totally get people might not want to come here in the summer, but $39 for a two bedroom, fully furnished vacation home. Downtown.

My friend has a guesthouse & dropped the price to $45, and discovered the guest was flipping “John’s” on an hourly rate before she discovered it.

That price is cheaper than a dive hotel with dirty sheets.

How do we stay competitive but not lose sight of the “hosting guest in our homes”?Building a community.

Nancy.  

I was just checking a week in October for a wedding guest and there it was again LOL...

Screenshot (73).png

Yes, this one really made me laugh, @Suzanne302 and Letitia.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Suzanne302 ,

it is always important to follow all airbnb instructions as this

is a huge company and they have all the knowledge.

Your July occupancy  right now is 90% and with Your existing

price of $42 it is more than likely that You make it to a 100%

and You are fully booked out.

But You can do better than that. If You lower Your price to $18

You could achieve a 500% occupancy rate. You may say You  

just can't sleep a 500% occupancy but that is just Your humble

opinion. They have a big computer and this computer may know

better than You do.

Suzanne, it is important that You get rid of Your bounderies.

airbnb knows how to run this business, just do what they say

and be their devotee. 

My advice: Give it a try.

@Ute42  Sounds like something right out of George Orwell's 1984, lol....

@Ute42Hahahahahaha! Yes. Exactly!

Be warned if you charge less it will attract some unhealthy people. Happened to me. Things started out great until I offered two rooms at lower prices. People started complaining about everything; my place is not brand new but they wanted everything like new, all for $39.

It became impossible. I had to regroup adjust rate up and take a few days off. Think about it. If a person does not want to pay $42 for a nights rest, who are they really?

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Very well written as per usual Ute!

Hi Ute, have just read what you wrote and will simply say " have you sat and done the maths" and I for one would not give it a try. I love what I do and also love working with ABB. Just think if every ABB host could achive 100% full rate 🙂 for charging way less. ABB would make even more and you make less 🙂 Personaly I find it perfect not being a 100% booked and make just what I want out of ABB.

Hi @Bill137 , thank's for Your statement. Of course it is every hosts own decision if he or she wants to get to a 100% or even 500% occupancy.

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

One of the many aspects of Airbnb I just ignore.

Russell68
Level 4
Toronto, Canada

I can understand your frustration.  But should we remember that ABB is under attack from big players who would like to see it disappear?  If that happens, our occupancy rate will be 0%.  Should we be more supportive?

@Russell68 I think you may have misunderstood. I’m not frustrated, I’m amused! Highly amused.

There are way more serious issues to actually complain about. 

I support ABB, but that does not mean the company gets my blind loyalty when it deserves some constructive criticism.