Just letting off steam

Ann-Marie7
Level 2
Adams, MA

Just letting off steam

I’ve been very fortunate to have had great guests for the most part the last five years that I’ve been a host. But my last guest has made my blood boil!

I rent out a very large apartment in my 221 year old farmhouse that has been in my family for 70 years. There are four permanent tenants who’ve been living in the house for years as well. Rules are no parties, be respectful of the other tenants, there is space for two cars, no pets. I don’t live on the property but just a couple miles away. The reservation was for one person, 5 nights.

She asked if her daughter’s service dog would be allowed to visit for the day with the daughter. I said fine as long as the dog doesn’t go on the furniture as I have people who stay who have allergies. When we went in to clean there was hair all over the furniture and they allowed the dog to roam free outside. The dog approached one of my tenants as he was getting out of his car and tried to jump on him so he gave him the knee. The guest had the audacity to make a comment about that. Also, most of the beds were used, countless towels, dishes left. I charge $10 per person per night after 2 people so she definitely got away with something.

The biggest thing was the last night she stayed she had several people over, very loud until the wee hours of the morning, several cars parked in the driveway and even parking in my tenants spaces. She broke so many rules and really didn’t give a hoot. 
She wrote in my guestbook that she had such a great time and wants to return in October. No way!!

I gave her a bad review and am still seething as I’m here cleaning up the mess which so far has taken us 3 days. I have another guest arriving in a couple days so I’m hoping it will be complete. 
When I get a one person reservation I assume the clean up will be minimal as compared to if 6 people stay and adjust my calendar accordingly. Thank God I have 5 days in between this time around.

Does anyone else’s blood boil as your cleaning up from the guests from hell?

Ann-Marie

34 Replies 34

First, tell the guest that the extra guests have to leave immediately. $10/person for people you weren't informed about is not enough. If it's a violation charge a lot more and make sure it's in your house rules. People who book are agreeing to the house rules when they contact you.

By the way - people DO NOT often read the listings, just look at price and photos - so when you send a greeting and check-in instructions, remind them that there is a monitored security camera and extra guests are not authorized and will be asked to leave.

I stayed in an Airbnb where the host warned it was $150 per person for extra people who show up that aren't on the reservation. And he reminded us there were exterior cameras. It was a general message he sends to everyone (and it's in his listing) so I wasn't offended and he was wonderful as a host.

Still - Airbnb has been allowing anyone to book on this platform and there are so many hosts that put up with it, the guests move on and do it to other people. A lot of lower quality guests based on reports from other hosts so you are certainly not alone.

If the guest doesn't boot out the extra people and won't pay the money you ask in the resolution center get Airbnb involved as soon as possible to cancel the reservation or collect the extra fees (make sure it's in your listing - that's important). I have a large apartment and there is a big difference cleaning and making beds for one bedroom versus all three bedrooms plus the towels, etc.

Bill the guest right away in the resolution center, or change the reservation to reflect the extra people and the new charges. If they don't accept, they have to get rid of those people - the agreed to Airbnb's terms of service. Make sure customer service knows that.

Good luck!

@Christine615 

Thank you so much!!

I too have a very large apartment so I know what you are talking about. It’s so much extra work and I’m the one who does it all. Thank God my daughter helps plus we both have 2 other jobs. Thank you for your tips! I really appreciate it.

Ann-Marie

Michele1348
Level 5
New York, NY

@Ann-Marie7  you are not alone in recognizing that the users of Airbnb has changed.  And with that so has the respect level.   It's like they feel like they can disrespect the place because unlike a hotel, you can't charge their credit card.  

I have felt it in just the request where people don't feel like that have to share anything.   The disrespect starts with these short "is your place available" messages. No "Hello  I am.."  And they get put-off when I ask for more information.  This is my home!   I need to know something about the person who will be visiting and living in my home.    The other day I had someone ask if they could send a friend to take video of my place so they could "get the vibe" of my place. 

It's unfortunate but, the landscape of Airbnb has changed.  

@Michele1348 

Wow! That’s creepy!

I sent the guest from hell a private message telling her she was not welcome back (in her review she said something about wanting to return in October) and listed all the rules she broke and the impact they had on the people that live there. I wasn’t rude just upfront. She sent me all kinds of messages with excuse after excuse and went so far as to belittle me. I just let it go. I’m just not going to be a doormat anymore. It’s not worth it. I used to be so worried about bad reviews from inconsiderate guests but I really don’t care anymore. 
The guest that is in the apartment now thought she could get away with having 5 people when she’s paying for 2. She wouldn’t respond to any messages through Airbnb or text messages. So I went and knocked on the door. No one answered. So I wrote a letter and left it under the door telling her to either immediately change her reservation or immediately vacate. Her choice. I told her I had exterior security cameras showing the number of people arriving and a property manager who confirmed. Within 10 minutes she changed her reservation to 5 people. She won’t be welcome back either.

@Ann-Marie7FYI: You need to list the security cameras on your listing under 'Guest Safety.' Airbnb will suspend your listing if this guest notifies them of the cameras. 

@Ann-Marie7  Good for you, giving up the doormat persona. The whole purpose of the rating and review system is to keep hosts so terrified of a bad review, they let guests get away with all sorts of bad behavior.

Bad guests tend to leave bad reviews, anyway, so often if a host shies away from calling the guest out, they still get a bad review and also end up feeling taken advantage of.

Well done @Ann-Marie7.  That's what it takes.  Don't back down, and don't sit around waiting for Airbnb customer service to do it for you.  These are our properties, not Airbnb's and not the guests', and if we don't protect them we can't expect others to respect them.

Tania606
Level 2
Jasper, GA

Been happening a lot more here as well.  Some guests just don't care.  Other owners tell me same stories.  I had a recent guest who smoked in the cabin, was on oxygen and bled all over EVERYTHING.  UNBELIEVABLE!   

Stephen1203
Level 2
Hunter, NY

I recently did away with my extra guest fee - The majority of potential guests were surprised to see an additional fee once they were ready to book so I figured I'd just go with the rate I wanted. My house can sleep 14, but I recently cut down the maximum allowed guests to 8. Now somehow, I only get parties of 8. Not 7 guests or 6, not 9 or 13 - Always exactly 8. Hmmm, how is it possible? I live on the property but I don't want to be the guy that does a head count every time I pass by.  Anybody have any techniques for dealing with this sort of situation short of kicking guests out?

@Stephen1203  You're saying you think they're bringing extra guests?  When your stated maximum is 8?  Many hosts here will tell you to put up a doorbell camera, but I'm a remote host as well and I don't use one. 

Other options include:

*just letting it go - maybe every group you've had is in fact a group of 8 (lol). 

*restoring your maximum number but putting your extra guest fee back in and having it kick in after 2 people

*keeping your maximum at 8, but asking guest to message you if they would like to bring more people and you will consider it.  No promises. 

Also in the instant book message you could say you live nearby and/or that a caretaker checks the property regularly.  You might also take "Book now!" out of your description as it sounds too eager and might attract people who aren't respectful of your rules and your property.  Sometimes it takes more than one tweak to get to the desired result as I'm sure you've discovered over the years!

Good thoughts Ann, thanks.

I guess it just comes down to me liking to trust people - You say you're bringing 8, you bring 8. I actually do live on the property and could do a periodic headcount but I try hard to give my guests as much privacy as possible and something like that just feels invasive.

Yes @Stephen1203 I am with you on that.  That's why I don't have a doorbell camera either.  Every once in a while my housekeeper tells me there were more people - this has happened maybe 3 times in 6 years.  Most people are respectful.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ann72 @Stephen1203  I used to just naturally trust people until they proved themselves otherwise. While I've never gotten untrustworthy guests, I've had so many people lie to me, or misrepresent themselves or their intentions, who I rented to long-term in a couple of small places I unofficially property-manager for owner-friends, that I now no longer trust people until they prove themselves trustworthy.

I don't start out distrusting them, I just no longer assume that everyone is to be trusted at their word.

I dislike surveillance cameras myself, the whole big brother is watching thing, although I can understand why some hosts find them to be necessary.

@Sarah977  I can totally understand why many hosts find them necessary.  This isn't about my own trust issues but about my listing and the way things go there.

@Ann72 , @Sarah977 the key to avoiding most issues is very clear communication. I don't use instant book and I highlight my rules about partying and noise restrictions in my interactions before I approve a request. At that point I feel I am justified in taking action if the clearly stated terms are violated. Though thankfully I've not had to kick people out yet!