Just lost one month rental cuz I'm of practice.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Just lost one month rental cuz I'm of practice.

After one year of no reservations I have gotten  reservations. Back-to-back! A four day followed by a one month stay. Yippie.

The four day went without a hitch.  the one month stay was terrible. 

The wall heater for supplement heat went on the fritz so I told guest there was extra heater in the closet.  All good.

Guest showed me a black one.  It was "weird" to me, because i thought the extra heater was white... oh well.

Woke up to angry message. Circuit had tripped leaving guest in the dark and cold. (not 100% cold or dark, but...)

Then it hit me. the guest may had 2 heaters and plugged them both in and tripped the circuit breaker. Sure enough she found the two heaters and plugged them both in tripping the circuit. 

She cancelled, I gave all her money back.  

Moral of the story.  Guest had a terrible experience, because I did not idiot proof my apartment. There should have been only one heater available.

Also, because I'm out of practice i was not monitoring my phone all the time like when I'm in the swing of it. 

I hope I get better.

10 Replies 10
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

It’s refreshing to hear and discuss “host confessions” once in a while. There is always room for us to do better as hosts. Also, we all can learn from each others’ occasional faux pas. Thanks for sharing.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Paul154 

"The four day went without a hitch.  the one month stay was terrible. "

There is a lesson here....

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

@Paul154 

You’ve done it vey well and absolutely right! 👏👏👏

”Moral of the story............”

I do’ve similar experience as you, and I need to learned much from you.
As a matter of fact,

“ Airbnb is a Trust and  Safety platform”

I’m surely by soon or later, your calendar will be complete with reservation and with great guests.

In as much as, you are the “Best Host!” in Airbnb!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

you can"t idiot-proof your apartment.  Trust me.

In fact, you can... but it would look like a kinder garden. Or a jail 🙂

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Paul154 

Oh wow, a great host like you Paul, I can't believe it! I don't believe 'practice' had a lot to do with it, to you hosting is like riding a bike, it just comes naturally.

You do learn after a while though, every guest will test you in some way, you try to acknowledge all the possibilities but there is always that one that will come out of left field at you .....

Like the guest who tried to dry their ski boots in the tumble drier!

Like the woman who left all her dresses draped across the bed when she left!

Like the guest who tipped a full bottle of nail polish remover over a new Doona cover!

You just can't protect yourself against........people.

Paul, I think I have come up with the idiot proof, tamper proof, abuse proof listing......

autopsy-tables-morgue-antique-clinic-78463116.jpg

All the best mate, I hope you have a good year.

Cheers........Rob

@Robin4  If you post that you will get bookings, I guarantee it 😂😂😂

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Welcome back, @Paul154.  The place hasn't been the same without your mordant wit and cut-through-the-bs posts.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Paul154  I second Ann's response. Nice to see you back.

Your occasional self-deprecating posts have always been so entertaining- I remember the one where you went on about feeling you'd been a bad guest, admitting to not fully reading the listing description, making yourself at home moving the patio chairs around without asking first, etc. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Ah @Paul154 There you are. Glad to see you getting back into the swing of things.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

I just got a booking from someone who stayed with you in 2017 @Paul154.  I'm not going to ask if you remember her since I can barely remember my own name some days but I thought it was a bit of fun to see you on her list of previous stays.  You gave her a good review.