Just when I thought I'd seen it all .....

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

Just when I thought I'd seen it all .....

IMG_1095.jpgIMG_1097.jpg

27 Replies 27
Louise0
Level 10

This is the aftermath of my latest guests' stay.  Six young adults have left me with the mother of all messes to clean up.  They were partying till 5am on Sunday morning and then departed leaving the place unlocked, all lights blazing, a pile of trash the size of a Shetland pony, a homemade bong and 250 spent canisters of nitrous oxide scattered all over the house and grounds.

I may be apologising to my neighbours for the rest of my life over this one.   Not happy.

Louise0
Level 10

Apparently you use a cream whipper to pump it into a balloon and inhale it.  I found lots of those too, including these down the side of the bed.   The state of the bed and the bathrooms is something to behold.IMG_1110.jpg

That sucks, really.  People are jerks.  Sorry this has happened to you.

Some suggestions if you need them:

1. Go to the Resolution Center and request an "extra clean up fee" from the guests for clean up beyond basic wear and tear of a normal stay.  
  2. If they damaged your property, file a claim for the damages within 48 hours or before your next guest!  Take pictures - lots of pictures. If you collect a security deposit, this should be an easy claim. 
  3. Flag the person's profile that they acted illegally in your property (whip-its and pot are illegal)
  4. Additional, review them with a giant THUMBS DOWN.  Mark them down for following House Rules (assuming you don't allow parties).  This will inhibit them from being able to do this again to another host. In the future, making each of the guests have their own profile and require adding them to the reservation will ensure that all the guests are of age and will get the same review on their profile with the thumbs down and lowered marks! 
  5. Not sure what vetting process you use, but you may consider a minimum age for your guests to stay en masse at your home.  

Unless you are there you will never be certain of ages and numbers, mention has been made of lock boxes with camera's etc but that is not perfect.

I assume, do not know if this is the case, that this is not a Profile that would be used again so whatever review etc would be left is meaningless, by all means do it, but in the real world easy enough to use another one, somebody else in the group books.

Interested to know how the Resolution aspect works in a case like this, other peoples posts have not been positive.

David

@Louise0 @Lawrene0 @Robin4 @Linda108 @David126

I can't believe this kid thru another party!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-2pVsKRNX8

I'm sorry for you I'd be fuming, but sometimes its better to laugh than cry.

Amy133
Level 2
Brookline, MA

That is terrible I am so sorry that happened. I had a woman bring 4 children she did not account for and then one of them picked apart my couch. I was not sure it was them at first, but my cleaner told me the couch was fine before her visit. Fortunately I do other things for income. I take care of my 87 year old Dad and airbnb has been my main source of income. I have ventured into green energy and green electric supply which is free for people to enroll in. The company has been around since 2009 and now are launching Carbonless Travel. We just opened in Austrailia and I have reached out to Airbnb, to join in the venture and offer it to hosts to earn from. Waiting to hear back from them. [Content against guidelines removed]

I have a team in Austrailia.

I am glad that nothing more serious happened to you and your family because of the drugs.. that would have been worse. My keys are all keyed alike, I may change that now. Thank you for sharing.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I know it has been discussed before but renting out separate premises on a short term basis is a very high risk activity, there are some things you can do to minimise the risk and they have also beeen discussed many time, but not eradicate it.

ABB's latest upgrade does not allow me to see your profile, hopefully you are charging enough to cater for the bad times and they are not too often.

David

@Louise0,

I would ask for a pay back through the resolution center arging they left some items behind and you need to send them back!

I did it one time (not with Airbnb) with some extremely messy and house rules breakers guests. They came here to visit their family and partied most of the time. The mother was the one who did the cheque for security deposit (that's why they didn't care about) so I had her adress. I packed all the trash (6 big bin bags and about 30 empty bottles), put it in my car and bring it back to the parents house.

Their never asked for the security deposit!

@Anonymous

Good call!

David
Louise0
Level 10

I just wished we hosts handled the deposits.  I'd be keeping a big chunk of this one.  I spent 5 hours cleaning today and still sorting through all the laundry.  That Jagermeister is nasty stuff.  Sticky, stains and smells disgusting 😞  And it's over everything !!!

Louise0
Level 10

A couple of issues -

1)  Technically it's a third party booking, as the girl who made the booking for the group was called away for work, so she didn't come.  So can I even leave a review?  Technically, no.

2) Whilst it's an Entire Place listing, I live upstairs and I could hear them partying on but just didn't have the energy to intervene this time.  It's happened too many times before and I'm exhausted by the conflict.

3) Whilst disgusting, nitrous isn't an illegal drug in this or indeed, most countries.

4) The Resolution Centre is useless when it comes to claiming the cost of additional cleaning. They'll claim that this is ordinary wear and tear. I've tried before and even when a guest's child scribbled all over the walls and sofa with permanent marker, getting Airbnb to support my claim was like pulling teeth.

5) Age isn't really a factor when it comes to dirty guests.  Some of my cleanest guests have been groups of young adults and some of the worst are families with small children.  My filthiest ever were a group of 50 somethings and their adult children.  They were pigs.

6) Some items have also 'walked' with this group - a USB charger, a sofa throw and, oddly, the kitchen scissors.  They also irreperably stained towels and bedlinens.  The question is, given it's a third party booking, how do I claim?

So, the one thing I'd do differently is NEVER accept a third party booking.  If the lead booker doesn't front on check-in, no one gets in.  Though, were I to do that, whose side would Airbnb take?   

BTW, that last is a wholly rhetorical question, to which any experienced host well knows the answer 😞

You can certainly leave a review, how do you know for certain she was not there? You were not there by the sounds of it.

Whatever it was her booking, her responsibility.

You make a claim in the normal manner, against the Security Deposit / ABB Guarantee. Fortunately does not sound like it was too expensive.

David
Louise0
Level 10

As I said, I was there and met them all on check-in and was upstairs the entire time they were there.  I have no reason to believe that she for some reason decided to stealthily turn up anyway.

Yes, I could have entered the listing and demanded they quieten down, but they would have started again as soon as I'd left and calling the police wasn't an option as it's debatable whether I could claim they were trespassing, given they had a right to occupy until 11am on Sunday.  Calling Airbnb is a waste of time because (a) it takes forever to get through to them and (b) as a host, I'm a low (zero) priority unless they want something from me, e.g. $$'s or to lobby regulatory bodies to support their interests.

I can not see your listing, do you allow parties.

Obviously a mistake to let them in when the person who booked was not staying, but that certainly does not mean you can not review even if you are certain she was not there.

David