Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water!

Thanks to all of you who sent concerned messages relating to my absence here, I will personally DM you all when I can!

I have had 23 days over in NSW with my daughters and grandkids and, just to make sure I didn't go off the rails, I took Ade and Betts (the dog) along too.

Eldest daughter Sarah's partner (Lisa) is a pathologist with the Glebe Coroners Court and spends her days doing autopsies but, at home her pride and joy are her laying hens! She has a (chook pen) and named them all, and each day lavishes care on them and they in turn reward here with a basket full of eggs.

I told Sarah I would do a 'hen' mosaic for Lisa's birthday and this put me under a bit of pressure because you can't run a mosaic up in a few hours.....it took me 10 days! Here is a shortened timeline of my progress. It measures 1 metre by 500mm, (1 yard x 20 inches) and the only tools I had at my disposal were a hammer and a nibbling tool.....

IMG20190224114618.jpg

IMG20190224185115.jpg

IMG20190225192912.jpg

IMG20190227165639.jpg

IMG20190305113603.jpg

IMG20190306140145.jpg

We had a great time and Lisa got a bit teary with the end result!

it's also a bit sad when your family lives 1,400 Kms away but we make the pilgrimage 3 times a year....next trip is in August, I love the drive, the dog travels well....which is more than I can say for Ade, she finds it a struggle and has a suitcase full of grizzles but, to spend 10 days with the grand daughters and another 10 with our other daughter makes it all worthwhile.

I had a guest here for much of the time we were away and that was great, she looked after the garden and I am hopefull we can come to a similar arangement the next time we head east again in August.

It was nice to get away from the CC.....but it's nicer to be back!

Cheers......Rob

44 Replies 44
Lyn3
Level 10
Mapleton, Australia

Hello @Robin4 

So nice to hear from you again. That is a stunning mosaic! Best wishes to you all !!!

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Sounds like a wonderful break, and great pics of the mosaic! Glad you're back @Robin4  :)))

So gladyou're back @Robin4 

Sounds like you had a lovely visit..... and the mosaic is absolutely wonderful~!!!! 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

So relieved to hear all is well and you have been enjoying a nice break with the family, @Robin4. 🙂

I love your mosaic (particularly the additional egg). I've said it before, but you are certainly a man of many talents. 

It's lovely to see you back in the CC. 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lizzie 

The funny thing about that egg Lizzie, I started off trying to do a mosaic egg and it just looked ridiculous so I sought out a landscape supply yard in the Wollongong area and bowled through the front door and up to the counter and said...."I want to buy one small river rock. I know it sounds stupid but I need it for a project"! 

The guy looked at me like I was a complete halfwit and I showed him a photo on the phone of what I was doing. He directed me to a bunker that had about 70 tons of river rocks and said...."Mate, if you can find the rock you want, it's yours with my compliments!"

For the next 5 minutes I climbed over that massive pile of  literally millions of river rocks until I found one just the right size and shape.

Lizzie, you just need a bit of perserverance and initiative in this life girl, and it's amazing what you can achieve! 

I drove out of that landscape yard thinking....'I wonder how many times that guy has sold one single pebble in his landscaping business life".......It's a bit like walking into Cosco/Aldi and buying a single almond!!

Cheers.......Rob

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Robin4  Woohoo!! He’s back! I admit to being one of the fretting few who hassled you whilst on holiday. Rather pleased to see you back old man 🙂 

Hey, that mosaic is utterly stunning! Heh, so I’m not the only artist that ends up with family “commissions” whilst on holiday without my tools. I bet you wore down that nibbler!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ben551 

You never 'hassled' me mate, it was lovely to talk to you!

Most of those pieces would not 'nibble'  Ben! All the grey background were too hard to nibble and I have to tell you here at this point...if there was a 'hammer' in a symphony orchestra....I would be a virtuoso! I have a delicate touch like you would not believe where hammer and porcelain are concerned!!!

Cheers.....Rob

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Robin4 Who wow. So what you’re saying it, you learned the ancient skill of precision breakage. Always fascinated me how early man did that, chipping slices of stone or obsidian (black glass) to make blades for weapons...

Fran2
Level 10
Launceston, Australia

I went looking for him too!

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Okay @Robin4 , aka stranger! Been guessing your whereabouts, and had considered off with family....

By the way, that’s a “crackin” mosaic you’ve made there! I must admit, I had a bit of a “cackle” at the sight of the egg... in fact it’s eggxellent! 

I also know how your heart strings feel about distance with families. We’ve got a newbie grandchild being born in just over a couple of weeks, and then you know the 3000 kilometres is too far!

Take care you two, plus Betts!

😁

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Cathie19 

Lisa and Sarah after much thought have decided to call her 'Megs'....with the emphasis on ....eggs.

We had an unveiling last Friday night with a lovely meal, all the family together...and I felt like a rather proud individual.

Congratulations Grandma.....see, you are never too old to achieve something in this life Cathie!

Cheers.....Rob 

Never Grandma @Robin4, but always nanna! 

Tueykay0
Level 10
Santa Monica, CA

@Robin4 

Love your artwork!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Robin4you are an artist 🙂 love the egg hehe