Keep calm & say sorry

Keep calm & say sorry

(This contains negative feelings. Consider before you read)

I have read lots of advice from other experienced hosts when they had come acrossed the unfriendly guests. And basically, you should not let the bad reviews or bad comments from guests distress you. You should just say thank you for your feedback and move on.. Naturally, the guests are always kings and queens and especially in the hospitality & tourism industry, that is even more correct. Some hosts say: your house your rules, but there are small things that I can not make a fuss to start a whole argument: hey this is my house. Plus, because of my culture I guess, I just want to avoid any conflict with guests. Additionally. I signed up for the airbnb system myself and I want to become a really good host, it's not that anyone made me do it. But sometimes, it does makes me feel like I have no rights to say I am right, just have to keep calm and say sorry. 

28 Replies 28

@Ann72 @J-Renato0 Thanks a lot for your advice!!

Right now, I am still wondering if I should address them already or just wait till they leave a bad review at the end.

As I said before, they sent photos of things that they dislike and asked why there is no this and that in the apartment. I think it was not a full direct complaint straightly to my face yet, or is it?

When they sent those photos, I already said sorry, explained and tried to offer solutions to make them happy. But based on the way they replied, seems like they were not so convinced.. I don't know if I interprete too much here... Should I contact them anyway, ask if they are satisfied and offer the free day like you did @Ann72?

Additionally, I read the reviews of the previous hosts yesterday (I indeed should have done that before hehe - my bad), they even broke things and kitchen appliances in the previous hosts' houses. That does makes me quite anxious. These guests rent my entire apartment so I guess, I have to wait till the end to see if everything is ok or not.

@Giang18, Oh, that sounds so stressful!  I don't know what they're looking for.  Is there anything they've pointed out that it would be easy for you to supply immediately?  It's hard to tell without specifics, but - yes, I would check in with them and see if everything is all right, no, I would not offer the free night yet.  They are the kind of people who, if you give them an inch, they'll take a mile.  So one step at a time.

@Ann72 well, actually there are small things but impossible/ funny for me to supply as they wish.

For instance, they ask why there is no ventilator fan in the toilet. We use smell extractor, but they were looking for this big ventilator fan. I could only advise them to leave the door open a bit if the toilet is humid. Besides, the smell extractor should work enough for the smell...They texted me at almost midnight just to ask about fan ventilator in the toilet... I just don't get it :-0

I have texted them today to ask how is everything and if there is anything that they are not satisfied or want things to be improved or give feedback on...*Cricket sounds*..No answer.

@Giang18 Oh. My. God. They sound horrible.  It's clear they're the kind of people who can never be satisfied and will always find something to complain about.  Just feel sorry for them and their miserable existence, try to survive this, raise your rates, and move on.  Feel for you, though!

@Ann72 thank you very much for your support!!

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hi again @Giang18

@Ann72 has answered your question. What she said It was the same as what I would have said. 

In addition:

Usually, the best way to solve problems during the stay is to deal directly with the guest and talking to him/her. If the guest is a troublemaker or if the situation you are facing is too complicated, then call Airbnb.

Once I had to call Airbnb and they help me with a difficult situation during the guest stay. Fortunatelly everything ended up well.

Enzy0
Level 2
Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Yes as a host we need to be honest with our comments.

I just wanna share an experience when the guest had a very bad reaction when he checked in. Before hand I told him to read everything on the profile the listing, the description etc. He stayed 2 nights I was just expecting he will give me a negative review. I was just so ready to be honest on my review towards him, but I just keep it simple instead and thank him. Only to find out he even gave me 5 stars and a positive review.. For me unless its really really bad experience write it., but sometimes even though the intercation was really OK the ratings will just come an average one.

@Enzy0 Exactly!  Sometimes the ones you are convinced will leave you a bad review end up leaving those 5 stars.

@Enzy0 Yeah I have been thinking about that too. I dont think I can bring myself to give my guests a bad bad review. I just keep thinking that maybe there is something from their previous travelling experience that they expect something different from what I am offering, or they have a bad day, etc. 

I don't know how many stars they will give me, although I really hope it will turn out like your case (the guest acted badly but still would give 5starts ^^)

Enzy0
Level 2
Phnom Penh, Cambodia

@Giang18 Yes as a host let just be calm  and smile... And next guest please!

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Giang18 What a great post and discussion. I couldn’t agree more, it’s so important to be kind and stay calm in the face of unhappy guests. Easier said than done sometimes, but it’s essential when you are running an accommodation business. We will never please everyone, so preparing to deal with unreasonable or unhappy guests should be part of a host “toolkit”.

@Ben551 totally! It was a bit shocking for me to encounter these guests with unreasonable demands. But after talking and listening to the other hosts' advice, I do feel better and take it just as one part of the hosting experience.

Btw, your place looks beautiful and I have added it to my wish list. (I have always wanted to move to New Zealand and have some sheeps hehe. One day... 🙂

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Oh thanks so much @Giang18 ! That’s so incredibly kind of you. It sounds cliche but there are actually a few sheep not far from our place hahaha. You should definitely come to stay. My wife has relatives living in Vietnam but don’t ask me where! Hey your place looks stunning! It looks like total luxury, I love it 🙂

@Ben551 hahaha awesome! I will definitely come when I have a chance! so eager to see and touch some New Zealand sheeps 😄

Thanks for your kind compliment! And how cool!! Then you have even more reasons to go to Vietnam now hehe 🙂