Keep your Superhost status

Alastair0
Level 9
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Keep your Superhost status

Like many we received notification that the Superhost stays is restarting while I feel that’s a good thing, my issue is that we are still in a closed COVID county. Thailand maybe opening but the paperwork and procedures are difficult and tourists must stay in approved Hotels which means even if guests arrive in country they won’t be staying with Airbnb hosts. 
net result is hosts like us who have been Superhosts for years and years are penalized. To early guys to start it in Thailand. 

Hosting for 12 years Superhost for most of that time and have grown each year.
7 Replies 7

@Alastair0  Yes, this change will affect not just hosts in areas with restricted tourism, but also the many Private Room and Shared Room hosts who aren't yet in a position to safely resume sharing personal space with strangers.  

It would be unfair if Superhost truly were a cumulative merit system, but in practice, it's more of a stick than a carrot. You take constant threats to have the prize taken away from you due to things beyond your control (e.g. a revenge rating or an absence of bookings) but what's the actual reward? One measly coupon per year and some orange pixels on your screen. Maybe it's time to accept that the whole charade is just a behavior-modification tool and nothing else, and move on. 

Your listing is an incredible place with over 300 great reviews; when tourism comes back to Chiang Mai, you'll have no trouble getting guests. You don't need a little badge to prove your worth.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Alastair0 yep, we're same here... and @Anonymous is right academically, but it does showcase how out of touch ABB is with their current host market

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Alastair0  I'm in the same position - my state has been pretty much locked off to the rest of the world for 2 years, and as a home share host, I don't feel particularly comfortable about accepting guests once our borders do open. So, my listing is snoozed indefinitely. If I ever do start hosting again, I'll have to start my Superhost from scratch.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Alastair0  And another host here in yet another part of the world who will lose years-long Superhost status. Home-share, closed to bookings since March 2020 due to not considering the money to be made from hosting worth the risk of dying from a deadly virus.

Nischal0
Level 2
Richmond, Australia

@Alastair0 I hear you mate. I'm in exactly the same situation. Been a superhost for long, but also happen to live in the most locked down city in the world. I rent the spare room in my apartment, so it's been almost impossible to have anyone stay during lockdowns/restrictions placed by the authorities. I just rang Airbnb and they said they will pass on the feedback. I'm hoping for a positive outcome for all of us - hopefully, common sense will prevail. 

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

I'm losing Superhost because of my cancellation of 1 arrogant/entitled guest in June 2021.  I have been a SH for over 1 year (since October 2020) and have yet to be "rewarded".

I would really like to see some transparency from Airbnb of how many SH are going to lose status.  Yes, it's a carrot, but I appreciate being listed higher.  Don't care about the $100.

@M199 Cancelation didn't count last year (you do not have a cancelation notice (review) on your profile.) If you were going to lose your super host status from a cancelation in June 2021 you would have lost it already.