How do I go about keeping an Outdoor BBQ Clean?

Answered!
Carter5
Level 2
Seattle, WA

How do I go about keeping an Outdoor BBQ Clean?

Hey All, 

Reluctantly, I have purchased an set up a new BBQ and all it’s necessary accoutrements, ie grilling tools, grill mat, grill cover, propane tank, heatproof gloves, etc.  Airbnb now requires I have this to be listed on the upgraded listing.  

I have not wanted one in the past because it is a fire danger, but mainly because some guests will not clean it.  My question is how do you handle the cleanliness?  Do you charge additional fee for those who leave it dirty?  Do you leave it to the guests to clean or not, and the next party to deal what’s left?  

My cleaners have four hours between guests to clean a whole home and that time is packed to get it right.  I require white glove cleaning because, as you know, a speck of this or that will be complained about by a guest.  

I no no longer allow guests to use my fireplace because of guest abuse.  I charged an extra fee if they didn’t leave it clean for the next guest.  And what transpired was a smoke filled home, a home that reeked of smoke, a house full of ash, a fireplace that was still dangerously in flames after they vacated, or they dumped the ashes/wood off my deck into greenery and/or my planters.  And always denied they did so.  So, I shut it down.  

Because Airbnb requires the grill, there’s no shutting it down with all its problems.   

Looking forward to hearing your genius ideas . . . 

1 Best Answer
Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

Hi Carter,

I found your post because I am too facing the same question .

We provide a gas barbecue and have done so under the following rational/assumptions/expectations: 

- The barbecue is available to all guests whenever they visit

- The use of a barbecue (in the UK and its weather) is less than its actual 'desire for use' so good selling point...

- We provide accomodation for 8

- We provide gas (if they barbecue - they don't cook so cost is spread)

- We expect visitors to be respectful

- Cleaning of the barbecue WE expect to do rather than guests but expect also superficial cleanliness would be respectful and a even a quick scrub down with a wire brush (provided) would be defacto.

- 'Reasonable' use

So much for expectations...

Like the log burning stove, guests use it because its there... 26 degrees, heating on, windows and doors open... log burning stove - burning!

We charge for cleaning... £65, It takes one person 12 hours. 13.5 if the barbecue is used. (Its a nominal fee).

Guests expect that paying for cleaning - means they dirty as much as possible.

So heres what happenned recently... Nice International family group of 8 with another couple staying local. They arranged a BBQ in advance so OK.. will have a couple more guests... OK. Remember we accomodate 8? Eighteen people turn up. Clean the BBQ - No. Use ALL the condiments in the house? Yes. Are we accomodating 8 or what??

So today, cleaning the BBQ - I'm thinking - this is stupid. If I/we were to visit another persons home I/we would clean up after us. That would include the BBQ if we used it, and we have when we have stayed in accomodation. Yes, you pay for 'cleaning' but it doesn't extend to digging out an inch of fat from a tray, scraping off black ash from 4 burners and degreasing the grill area... thats just totally disrespectful, especially when you invite another ten people to help.

So whats the answer?

Do hotels provide BBQ's? Of course not. They want their restaurants filled. Why do I mention hotels - well, they are the competitors of Airbnb. Its not other Airbnb'ers who are competion, lets be honest - we can all be the cheapest if we really try at it and theres plenty of encouragement in that direction I see.

So, (whilst knuckle deep in brown fat) I'm thinking.. provide options: 

Option 1: Here are the cleaning instructions for the BBQ, please leave it as you find it (immaculate) - It will take you about 1.5 hours and heres what you do (in pictures, including kuckle deep brown fat) with cleaning container, scrapers, cloths, detergent and stuff provided.

Option 2: We clean £xx.

I REALLY think the £xx option would be the option of choice.

Theres also the BBQ type consideration... brick built, charcoal with griddle... shovel reminants in bin and wire brush griddle. Pretty simple. Allow guests to use their own (bought) disposable BBQ's in pre-built area, very simple. Gas, 4 burner with pan burner and fat collector and canopy - like ours... not so simple.

We are changing the way we offer accomodation here. I am thinking that the option of self-clean / charge for clean would be fair. And I am liking the idea of built area and disposable BBQ's too.

Charging for options is not new to us. We have purchased a hot tub. It is not installed in its final location yet as we're making improvements but we offer it as an extra and charge for it. Airbnb have an additional charge section (it used to be the 'dispute' section) and theres options to charge for extras like this here. BBQ cleaning could be an option.

Also, deposits. We don't charge a deposit. Thankfully, apart from the odd broken glass which we accept as running costs we haven't had much reason to retain a deposit in part or whole. We have had a couple of occassions where tables have been damaged by knife stabbing - about 20 stab marks... hair straighteners burning a table top (!!) obviously, no respect there! BUT... IF we charged a deposit which covered the BBQ cleaning (plus some) then the pain to pay for cleaning wouldn't hurt as much especially if they got deposit monies back.

I hope that helps. It helped me. So thanks for your post. 

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

Hi Carter,

I found your post because I am too facing the same question .

We provide a gas barbecue and have done so under the following rational/assumptions/expectations: 

- The barbecue is available to all guests whenever they visit

- The use of a barbecue (in the UK and its weather) is less than its actual 'desire for use' so good selling point...

- We provide accomodation for 8

- We provide gas (if they barbecue - they don't cook so cost is spread)

- We expect visitors to be respectful

- Cleaning of the barbecue WE expect to do rather than guests but expect also superficial cleanliness would be respectful and a even a quick scrub down with a wire brush (provided) would be defacto.

- 'Reasonable' use

So much for expectations...

Like the log burning stove, guests use it because its there... 26 degrees, heating on, windows and doors open... log burning stove - burning!

We charge for cleaning... £65, It takes one person 12 hours. 13.5 if the barbecue is used. (Its a nominal fee).

Guests expect that paying for cleaning - means they dirty as much as possible.

So heres what happenned recently... Nice International family group of 8 with another couple staying local. They arranged a BBQ in advance so OK.. will have a couple more guests... OK. Remember we accomodate 8? Eighteen people turn up. Clean the BBQ - No. Use ALL the condiments in the house? Yes. Are we accomodating 8 or what??

So today, cleaning the BBQ - I'm thinking - this is stupid. If I/we were to visit another persons home I/we would clean up after us. That would include the BBQ if we used it, and we have when we have stayed in accomodation. Yes, you pay for 'cleaning' but it doesn't extend to digging out an inch of fat from a tray, scraping off black ash from 4 burners and degreasing the grill area... thats just totally disrespectful, especially when you invite another ten people to help.

So whats the answer?

Do hotels provide BBQ's? Of course not. They want their restaurants filled. Why do I mention hotels - well, they are the competitors of Airbnb. Its not other Airbnb'ers who are competion, lets be honest - we can all be the cheapest if we really try at it and theres plenty of encouragement in that direction I see.

So, (whilst knuckle deep in brown fat) I'm thinking.. provide options: 

Option 1: Here are the cleaning instructions for the BBQ, please leave it as you find it (immaculate) - It will take you about 1.5 hours and heres what you do (in pictures, including kuckle deep brown fat) with cleaning container, scrapers, cloths, detergent and stuff provided.

Option 2: We clean £xx.

I REALLY think the £xx option would be the option of choice.

Theres also the BBQ type consideration... brick built, charcoal with griddle... shovel reminants in bin and wire brush griddle. Pretty simple. Allow guests to use their own (bought) disposable BBQ's in pre-built area, very simple. Gas, 4 burner with pan burner and fat collector and canopy - like ours... not so simple.

We are changing the way we offer accomodation here. I am thinking that the option of self-clean / charge for clean would be fair. And I am liking the idea of built area and disposable BBQ's too.

Charging for options is not new to us. We have purchased a hot tub. It is not installed in its final location yet as we're making improvements but we offer it as an extra and charge for it. Airbnb have an additional charge section (it used to be the 'dispute' section) and theres options to charge for extras like this here. BBQ cleaning could be an option.

Also, deposits. We don't charge a deposit. Thankfully, apart from the odd broken glass which we accept as running costs we haven't had much reason to retain a deposit in part or whole. We have had a couple of occassions where tables have been damaged by knife stabbing - about 20 stab marks... hair straighteners burning a table top (!!) obviously, no respect there! BUT... IF we charged a deposit which covered the BBQ cleaning (plus some) then the pain to pay for cleaning wouldn't hurt as much especially if they got deposit monies back.

I hope that helps. It helped me. So thanks for your post. 

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

Just found this...

"- Feel free to use the barbecue outside that is set up for our super guests’ leisure use only. The BBQ is to be used by the guests who stay at the home and is not to invite others to the home as it will be considered as hosting a party. Please clean up after yourselves and keep the grill clean. If found left dirty and requires extra cleaning, an extra cleaning fee may be required. You will also need to add your own gas to the BBQ as it is not supplied."

Here: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/SHARING-MY-HELPFUL-HOUSE-RULE-TEMPLATE/m-p/723915#M17035...

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

And this:

BBQ: The BBQ is there for your use and recreational enjoyment, as with all appliances and amenities, you will find it clean on your arrival, with the understanding, it will be left clean after use.

I am too facing the same question.

Teresa317
Level 2
Klamath Falls, OR

Take a photo of the BBQ plus inside and photo the tank. Add a propane tank meter to measure use. 

I am getting really dirty BBQs back so I think adding a fee is reasonable. But not sure Airbnb allows it. Still have to do more research.

Overall - not real happy I went to all this effort and they can't even clean the grease off the grill or side table. Yuck!

Has anyone had any luck with asking guests to provide their own propane tank???

Thanks!

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Carter5  So, airbnb is forcing you to offer a BBQ because you are a Plus listing?  Is that right? Crazy.

Not sure how clean you want it. I am not that picky, so this might not be good enough for you. Before each cook, I take my weber charcoal rake, and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Then move my bottom vent back and forth, raking as needed, to remove any buildup. Comes pretty clean, at least to my eyes.

If someone here looking for a fresh and clean grill for backyard, this review could help to choose what you exactly need: https://grillguru.org/best-gas-grill-under-200/

Ross846
Level 2
Camp Hill, Australia

I am very new to ABNB welcoming my first guest later to day into a flat at the end of our home. I suspect that some bad experience may come from charcoal fuels (UK) here in Aus. we almost exclusively use gas. Our strategy for our flat is that we provide the BBQ  to reduce grilling (and mess) in the guest kitchen. We will see how that works out but I thank every one for their comments about cleaning ... I have a set of BBQ operational instructions (safety etc.) but will now revise will specific BOLD to highlight cleaning.  Thanks again everyone

Bronwyn100
Level 7
Hardys Bay, Australia

Hi. I used to have a gas barbecue. Guests didn't clean it and I was constantly checking that the gas bottle was full. I got rid of it and bought an electric one. The pieces go in the dishwasher. Haven't had a problem since.