[Guide] Keeping listing disputes under control

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

[Guide] Keeping listing disputes under control

Too often we see disputes between guests and hosts over Listing expectations. These days with the resolution centre can seem more reluctant to accept a hosts word when a dispute arrises, I do the following.

I have prepared a laminated checklist and as I go, I do things in the order and tic each item with a texta marker.

When complete I also have an non laminated copy which I duplicate, date and photograph, and this gets placed inside the cover of the house rules to indicate these items have been attended too before the guest for that date has arrived.

Checklist bitmap 2.png

This sheet forms the elements that a guest will see and form some opinion on!

I explain in a lighthearted way to guests that with the onset of age one can easily overlook some triviality and this is my way of remembering to do everything.

I also have a similar sheet which refers to the mechanics of the cottage.

1/. Is the hot water service turned on and hot.

2/. Are the drains free from obstructions.

3/. Do the door and window locks operate correctly.

4/. Are the blinds and curtains in good condition.

5/. Are the exhaust fans working and free of lint.

Once you get into a routine it doesn't take long to do these things and it does tend to give the guest confidence that you are serious about what you are doing, and that this might possibly not be the listing to try out for a 'freebie'!!

Cheers.....Rob

35 Replies 35
Em4
Level 10
Franz Josef Glacier, New Zealand

Thank you Rob. 

Barb6
Level 10
Stevensville, MI

@Robin4 All though i seem some items as good things to list I would find it rude to list something called "idiot list".

A lot of those things you have listed, I do not see the reasoning behind listing them, such as your laundring items, dusting vacuuming and such... you forgot wash and replace towels...  so many things you didn't list if you are going to start lsiting what you did to prepare for a guest... IMO i see no need for such a list... UNLESS.. it is going to be like a rental check in for apartment in the states, where the guest is going to go through and check each item and see if it was done before they took off their shoes. 

I don't think i have seen a dispute about toilet paper or a clean air filter for the A/C( you do that between each guest?)

or take out the trash...between guests..

Em4
Level 10

It is not so much the content but the idea that is a good one.  I doubt he intends to tell you what to put on such a list if you were so inclined.  Merely to indicate an idea he uses which assists with achieveing his goal.

In my own case I have been thinking about many things with regard to this my first ever attempt to not just provide accommodation for others but to try to do as good a  job at that as possible.  Listing expectations is one of those issues I've been going over.  Although I hadn't thought about placing the actual checklist in a Guest Accommodation Compendium or something similar, I think in an edited format it would have merit for me.  I think if I was a guest, I would feel the Host is well organised and I'd appreciate that. 

Robin also has 23 reviews, all of whom were guests and they loved him.  I haven't looked at everyone on this site, but as far as I know, I've never seen the review-ee take such a personalised approach to his replies.  I feel it endears even a stranger such as myself to him.  Consequently I am contemplating his post in consideration of all I think I know of him. 

As already stated, I've found this conversation helpful.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Em4 Thank you so much Christine....we spend so much time doing just this because we not only want to be better hosts ourselves but, we want others to be better too. By being our best the whole platform benefits.

I have only been doing this for a couple of years but I have hosted many wonderful people....24 of them on this site, and I know it's corny, but I genuinely want someone to look back on their time here as a time in their lives they will remember, just as I am sure you do!

Cheers.....Rob

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Barb6..... It's all about perception.....I can't tell you the number of posts we have seen from hosts who have said 'guests' who say, the listing was filthy, the bed was not made, rubbish was left in the sink, and on and on!

Of course it's obvious that you make bed, put out a cake of soap!! Many of those things are just plain obvious but, you are letting the guest know you are attending to detail, and they do appreciate it.

As I say to them it is to a certain extent lighthearted, the 'Idiot check' refers to me, not them....what have I obviously overlooked??

We have spent a lot of time cruising over the past 8 years and everytime we leave a cabin for the final time we have an 'idiot check' to see what we might have left in a drawer, under the bed, whatever!!

You must appreciate that although there is a serious reason for doing it, you don't throw it in the guests face! It's an 'icebreaker' something I can put a funny story to....and that is why (across three hosting platforms) in over 70, I have never had a bad review.

Take it for what it is and if it can help someone else from a bad situation then that would make me very happy! If it's not for you @Barb6....pass it by, I won't be offended!

Cheers.....Rob

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

If nothing else, it is a great thing to have a list in case you need to give it to a locum. Whenever I go somewhere, rare but happens, I have to make a new scribbled list, and I keep remembering new things, it all gets a muddle (and don't forget! type comments in the by now messy margins). Better to have a clear list of procedure you can hand to whoever is covering for you.

btw I have on a couple of occasions forgotten to check kitchen bin, even now as I am sitting here I am trying to remember having actually done it today??? Did I? I really don't know. I did everything else... See how useful a list would have been!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sandra126 Once again, you are spot on the money Sandra. Many times I will get interupted by someone or something and this just helps to keep me focussed and on track. I can see some would not require it, great for them!....Didn't really expect to be criticised for it though....but there you go, that is what is wonderful about prople, we are all different!!!

Cheers....Sandra....Rob

@Robin4 I am sorry that i critized. I think the idea of a check list for yourself is fantastic. And I might do that for myslef,  I just didn't think that it was IMO something to leave out for the guest. Thats all.  I appologize at my offensive tone in my previous posting. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Barb6....Don't apologise, as I said that's the wondefull thing about us, we are all different. The forum offers us the opportunity to express a wide range of views! Individually, we will not always be right but, collectively we will make what we do better by sharing our views.

I have been lucky to have had a truly fantastic run when it comes to guests. I think in close to 90 hostings there is only two, possibly three that I would not be overjoyed to see back here again. But @Barb6 I have always subscribed to the theory, 'The less a guest expects, the more they will appreciate what they get'! 

I am not a luxury tree house on the Serengheti......Trackers on the 'race line' at Whistler, I am just a humble converted garage in the backblock of South Australia but, I attend to detail! I spent many thousands on a bed, I spend ages making sure the creases are in the right spot, I provide a full cake of Dove soap for every guest....even overnighters! If they are staying a couple of nights and want to be hosted, I cook a Salmon Wellington, a Risotto or Chicken and Leak pies. At the very least we offer a cheese plate and a wine or two in the evening about five.

I am proud of what I do, and if that checklist helps me to remember to turn on the hot water service, or put that slab of butter in the fridge, I feel it's worth it.

I didn't strive to be a Superhost....it just happened,  and if I can help others to that goal....fanbloodytastic!

Cheers.....Rob

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Robin4

Great idea after reading all those posts of guests complaining of the most ridiculous accusations to Airbnb just to scam back a full refund. 

Of course everybody can fill in their own points. So can't really comprehend complaining that you missed something.

Also, it's not going to really guarantee that somebody won't find a way to try to be dishonest, it's just one of those psycological safeguards that tell most scammers that you're not that easy prey. With most of the complaints on the forum I can tell why the scammers got away with what they did by looking at the house rules or text in the description and/or profile.

Scammers are usually highly psychological intuitives and spot the leaks instantaneously.

I've never encountered problems regarding the things in the list being addressed by guests as lacking, but I'll certainly keep a screen grab of that list!

And for the record - my second name is 'Idiot list'! except I always forget to add the point 'remember to bring along the idiot list' LOL!

Heck, when getting ready for a trip 1-3 days before, and depending on how long it will be,  I'll put down my suitcase in a designated spot and start adding the articles popping into my mind into it. At the end I usually have to remove some due to weight problems, but it's been a real godsend in remembering!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Andrea9..."Also, it's not going to really guarantee that somebody won't find a way to try to be dishonest, it's just one of those psycological safeguards that tell most scammers that you're not that easy prey." Hey, that's the point Andrea!

But I will tell you how this came about! Of all my reviews I have only ever had one 4 star, and that was this man who stayed overnight and the reason for his visit was to attend a friends birthday party. The first thing he wanted to do after checking in was, have a shower....and I had forgotten to turn on the hot water service....'feaces'!!!

He was very good about it and did give me a nice review, but did downgrade me to a 4 star and in his personal comments suggested the shower water could have been hotter. That 4 star sat there glaring at me for a long time and I vowed and declared that would never happen again....hence my list.

Cheers.....Rob

Em4
Level 10

@Sandra126  Another good idea I hadn't yet thought of.  A protocols checklist for someone relieving for you.

Em4
Level 10

@Rob0 thats an amazing hosted stay.  I'm doing nothing like that but I tell you what...if you are ever here in Franz Josef, come and stay with your family.  Not as an Airbnb guest but as my guest.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Em4 Not sure if that was me you were refering to, the tag was different to mine but, if it was me, I might just take you up on that some time.

Tell you what though Christine, there is a thing amongst the community, don't offer a discount and don't expect one...it gets out of hand!

I don't offer a discount for other hosts, but I do offer a hosting experience they will never forget! I really do go out of my way to show what I feel hosting is all about.

Hopefully I am on a few 'wish lists' and if I am, it won't be because of price....it will be because I will be amongst friends!

Cheers....Rob