Key Deposit

John5808
Level 1
Bishops Cannings, United Kingdom

Key Deposit

Recently had a new front door fitted and the keys are expensive to replace I would like to change guests a refundable deposit to cover replacement should they lose them or go off with them.
Question how do I reflect this in my listing, the security deposit set by AirB&B  only starts at £75 and is way more than I want for  a deposit for a set of keys. I have ruled out a key safe a they are not secure. 
Any ideas gratefully received. 
Thanks John 

11 Replies 11
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@John5808  Airbnb's security deposit is bogus- it is not charged to the guest when they book, nor is a hold put on their credit card. It is only there as a threat that it could be charged if the guest causes damage. So it doesn't really matter what it's set at. And losing a key isn't considered damage. 

What you could do is say in your listing that there will be an additional charge for key deposit of XX, that will be charged after they book and pre-arrival, to be returned if the key isn't lost. 

Then you send a charge through the resolution center, and return it the same way.

John5808
Level 1

Thanks to be clear are you saying I put my prices up and to cover the refundable deposit and then return the deposit to the guests on safe return of the keys?

@John5808  No, that would make your place appear to be more expensive than it is. 

You can use the Resolution center charge or send money feature for any extra fees. You would call it Reefundable key deposit. You woukd send the $ request this way after they booked. They have to accept it, and they'll be charged by Airbnb when they do.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

Well, the normal process is:

A) discuss the deposit with the guest and agree to it, before booking. 

B) after booking, request the agreed deposit through the resolution center

C) Guest pays it. If not, tell them to cancel the booking (they agreed, after all). If they don't, you have to cancel and suffer the consequences. 

D) If all is well at checkout, give it back in cash.  

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I agree with @Elaine701 except for the cash refund.  Terms of service with Air BNB require all financial transactions through the system.  While it is a bit of a delay for the guest, it does provide you with a track record of having refunded the guest.  Track records are always a good thing when working with the public, IMO.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Linda108 @Elaine701  I also don't agree with refunding it in cash- a dishonest guest could tell Airbnb it never got refunded. 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Sarah977 @Linda108 

Always print a receipt, and make them sign it. I do. Always. 

John5808
Level 1

Thanks for replying useful advice 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Sarah977 @Linda108 

There's no rule that says all transactions must go through Airbnb.

Before Airbnb had a tourist tax collection mechanism, it was always collected in cash. It's still optional to choose whether Airbnb collects it or not. Otherwise, pay in cash. 

We openly state on our listing that the energy charges in winter months are to be paid in cash on arrival (otherwise, Airbnb puts 15% on top). Nobody's ever had a problem with that. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Reservation confirmation includes this statement:"

"To protect your payment, always communicate and pay through the Airbnb website or app."

I think that is a good idea for both hosts and guests.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

From another perspective, @John5808 [touches wood]...350-odd bookings into this wonderful world of Airbnb and I have yet to face a 'key lost' situation (my locks are Banham, so quite pricey too).

As for key safes not being secure, I've got a C500 on my Manchester flat and have CCTV of the local scrotes taking a pickaxe to it. The C500 didn't move.