Key Safe installation at a communal entrance door

Fiona40
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Key Safe installation at a communal entrance door

My flat is in a tenement and so there is a common entrance door to access it which serves other households. I am desperate to install a key safe but concerned that I will have issues as it will need to house a key for the common door. Can anyone tell me whether they have had a similar experience/ installed a key safe at a common entrance door?

5 Replies 5
Cataldo0
Level 1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Hi Fiona I've got the same problem but my idea was to contact "air sorted" maybe they can deal with this issue what do you think?
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I think AirBnB are very unlikely to get into any negotiations with a freeholder regarding installation of key sites on properties. 

First question: does your lease allow you to sublet - or take in paying tenant? If so, then you are over first hurdle. If it says nothing and you are the leaseholder then you can have paying tenants/guests if you wish. If you are renting, even if your agency lease does not reference subletting, you should really check the master lease for the building to see what that says, as that will contain more terms and conditions and override anything the agency has given you.

Finally, I think it's unlikely that a freeholder will allow people to include keys to communal areas in key locks.....they would see it as a security risk. So you either engage with them, or install it out of sight somewhere, but  easy enough for guests to find. You are taking a risk of course if found out.

Also - do some reasearch in to key locks - there are some simple ones that anyone can open and are not secure. And there are better ones too...

Karen3287
Level 2
York, United Kingdom

I'm wondering the same thing. At my block the Managing Agent has a keysafe which is out of sight so there is always a keysafe with keys to communal areas. I'm thinking of installing one in a similar place and taking the risk that I may be asked questions later.

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

I use digital locks and digital locks have saved my life. 

Tony-And-Una0
Level 10
Belfast, United Kingdom

Hi Fiona

If I lived in a block with a shared entrance, I would object to there being a lockbox etc in the communal entrance.

When I booked a place in Brighton, I had to pick the key up from a local shop who seemd to have an agreement with a number of rental properties.

It was all very professional. The host issued my with a PIN code which I had to give in the shop. I could see that the keys were stored safley. 

Not sure if this is something you could look into.

Tony