Key takeaways from CEO Brian Chesky’s message to our hosts

Airbnb
Official Account

Key takeaways from CEO Brian Chesky’s message to our hosts

Over the past three weeks, we've held more than 50 online listening sessions with hosts from around the world, tracking every suggestion to learn where you’re hurting the most and how Airbnb can support you. 

Speaking from his home in San Francisco on Monday, CEO Brian Chesky announced three key initiatives and programs aimed specifically at helping our hosts:

1. We’re investing $250 million USD to share in the cost of COVID-19 cancellations.

We’re providing updated coverage under our extenuating circumstances policy for accommodation reservations booked on or before March 14 and with a check-in between March 14 and May 31, 2020. If a guest cancels an eligible reservation in this window, we’ll pay you 25% of what you would normally receive through your cancellation policy. For example, if you would’ve received $400 USD for a normal cancellation, we'll pay you 25% of that—or $100 USD. This cost will be covered entirely by Airbnb, with no impact to the guest. We view this as an investment in our future together.

Reservations booked after March 14 will not qualify for the COVID-19-related extenuating circumstances cancellations. Learn more at Airbnb.com/250MSupport.

2. We’re creating a $10 million USD relief fund for Superhosts and Airbnb Experiences hosts.

We know some of you are facing serious financial hardships, and we want to help. This fund will offer grants to Superhosts and Experiences hosts who need money to stay in the homes they live in. 

Our employees started the fund by raising the first $1 million USD, and our founders contributed the additional $9 million USD. Learn more about who is eligible at Airbnb.com/superhostrelief.

3. We’re making it easy for your previous guests to add contributions that go to you directly.

Just a few weeks ago, our global community was bringing more than 2 million people together every day. Collectively, you've made many millions of people feel at home. And thousands of them have told us how grateful they are for your flexibility—so we’re making it easy for them to help. We'll reach out to guests who’ve stayed with you recently and left 5-star reviews to ask if they want to send a note and a contribution in connection with a previous reservation. You will receive 100% of any guest contributions. 

This is just a start

We know many of you want—or need—to host right now, whether on the front lines or for people who live nearby. To help further support you, we’re also working on the following:

We will get through this together

Airbnb and our community are facing this challenging time together. We’ll continue working day and night toward solutions, and we’ll communicate regularly and transparently on the steps we’re taking to help you. We’re adapting in real time to the changing situation, but what doesn’t change is that when travel returns, your homes are the places where people want to stay.

At the core of our business is what is core to the human experience—that fundamental desire to connect and explore. It will take time to bounce back, but we will bounce back together. As always, thank you for being part of the Airbnb community, and thank you for all that you do to help us create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. 

448 Replies 448
Ashish11
Level 2
Sindelfingen, DE

As per Airbnb : We’re creating a $10 million USD relief fund for Superhosts and Airbnb Experiences hosts: 

It is written in detail version that Airbnb invites hosts most in need to apply.  

This means that not all Superhost or experience host will be given aid. The aid will be given to the Superhost which Airbnb thinks that they are eligible or needed and Airbnb will contact the host. 

Is my understanding correct?

Josef338
Level 2
Town 'N' Country, FL

This sounds promising. Right now, we'll take all the help we can get. We started our AirBnb biz in Aug 2019...we invested the hell into this project and we were doing SO WELL. We started to see a ROI, everything was working better than we expected! We were going to begin the third phase of our journey to relocate to Puerto Rico and base our operations there - we also invested in an AirBnB property there - after reaching SuperHost months prior to COVID-19, with a steady 5 Star rating, and we were sold out every day since January... we were on track of continuing the trend into the Summer... only for everything to crash and burn! Everything! We lost our Studio we were living in to open up our Entire House for more bookings, forced to live in our AirBnB House since everyone cancelled and because of the Stay-At-Home order. We literally have to start all the way over! Our AirBnb house generated 60% of our household income. 60%!!!!

Allison17
Level 2
Denver, CO

What is the eligibility criteria for the relief fund??? The link on the website goes to nothing.

Ron66
Level 2
Gurnee, IL

Like many hosts and superhosts commenting here, I was more than a little pissed off when Airbnb notified me that its "generous" Extenuating Circumstances policy would punish ME for having a strict cancellation policy! I did everything by the book, had nothing to do with the consequences from a pandemic, yet I would be the one to suffer the loss of booking income?

My emailed reply to the company agent was not up to Emily Post's standards, I'm afraid, unless a revamped Etiquette Queen permits a slew of expletives without the symbolic semiotic fig leaves covering the lexical genitalia (I use that in the verb and adjectival sense, respectively, e.g., "**bleep**" and "**bleep**ing") along with a well-placed scatological word we all know and love for its utter expressiveness ("**bleep**").

It seemed to have gotten my point across and the payment was not withdrawn from my coffers.

I immediately followed up on my implicit "notification" that Airbnb wasn't the only rental player on the block, although they've become the biggest and up till last month the best.

I am happy to report that our dear Internet ancestor, once the ubiquitous online resource, Craigslist, came through in a big way and tomorrow a new longterm "reservation" has been made for my vacant listing. I will take advantage of the Extenuating Circumstances policy to cancel the two short-term bookings in June and July and gladly leave this broken bridge behind.

Mr. Chesky done forgot how it all started. With himself and a couple roomies behind on rent. Just like a slew of us struggling hosts who he wanted to screw over despite  his gig-economy riches being more than enough to ride out this COVID-19 storm. Oh well. Have to see how that golden parachute IPO holds up for him after hordes of hosts leave him and his billionaire cronies in the dust. Maybe he'll learn what happens when he kicks dirt in the face of those who keep him on his high horse.

"Maybe he'll learn what happens when he kicks dirt in the face of those who keep him on his high horse."

I don't ordinarily wish ill on others, but if this is the only way to get through to him and make him change tack on messing us over, then yeah I hope he suffers. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Andrew883 

Andrew, there is an old saying.....

"Beware of the toes you tread on, on the way up......they may be connected to the ar*e you have to kiss on the way down!"

Cheers......Rob

Irma-and-LJ0
Level 2
Fletcher, NC

We’re r

Yes, I agree that hordes of hosts will leave. There are other options our there.

Steffen88
Level 2
Málaga, ES

After Mr. Chesky made this decision, then we almost got all reservation cancelled up til the 31st May 2020. I do agree that every bodies safety comes first. But I dont understand why Airbnb dont let their guests have a credit for the amount they already paid. A guests can change dates of course, but they cant have a credit. We asked all our own guests to change dates and not refund them and almost all of them understands the situation and decided to get a credit for a future reservation. I am very surprised that Airbnb could make such bad judgement and decided to give hosts a 25% of the amount according to their cancellation policy. That is useless. We are seriously considering cancelling all future reservations with Airbnb as we are afraid what their are making of decision for the future and as they historically always goes against the hosts, then we might get better conditions from other OTAs or our own reservations. Seriously Airbnb - not good. 

Paulo241
Level 2
Lisbon, Portugal

Well, but in this case AIRBNB sent messages to the guests for them to cancel the reservations with full refund. This is an exeption time. I think AIRBNB should give te 25% refund for all hosts even the ones with flexible or moderate policy. Other way AIRBNB will loose a lot of hosts when the life start to get to normality

Tiff0
Level 9
Washington D.C., DC

@Nicky109  Your point that is confusing me and most unsettling to me most is when you say "I don't want Airbnb offering everyone a coupon for future travel". WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU THINK, LET ALONE, SAY THIS? Why would you not want a company to pay you and hold onto the money of the guest so the guest can travel when they want and where they want? Why, deny an obvious win-win? Delta is doing it and I am fine with it. I cancelled a trip to St. Martin (Well, St. Martin cancelled on me due to COVID 19 and St. Martin will not let me in).  Delta is keeping my money on the ticket but allowing me to use the money when I travel in the future. I think it is more than fair. Why?  I do not want Delta tanking, I know my money is good for them, I will travel somewhere in the future, and just because my plans change does not make me want to put anyone out. I do not want my money back. A coupon for future travel is more than I expect and a reasonable and sustainable solution for everyone. I do not want Delta laying off workers because my plans change.  I am not some greedy, entitled, selfish traveler naking unrealistic demands on the travel industry.  There is no reason AirBNB cannot do the same thing--in fact AirBNB should be protecting its partners--not abusing them. 

I feel like you are suggesting that the coupon for future travel be only eligible at your listing. I am not suggesting it. AirBNB's coupon for future travel would be like any other standard coupon for travel which is a common and standarized form of compensation in the travel industry. A coupon would be good for one future trip when a guest wants to travel and when they want to travel (but only one booking, no rebooking twice). This helps everyone. It guarentees a guest's payment. It keeps cash flow in the company, and it compensates hosts who are guarenteed the income based on their cancellation policy. 

If you think you "do not want AirBNB to issue coupons for future travel" but "you want to be paid for your cancellations", that is entirely unfair to AirBNB. AirBNB has to cover its cash flow also. They are a partner of ours too. To expect AirBnB to give a hand-out out of its own pocket, without relying on the guest is also not sustainable. 

*personal attack removed*

@Maarten10 has some thoughts on what VRBO is doing right. I agree with him.

@Tiff0  I am absolutely sick of having this endless discussion with you.  I am quite entitled to my opinions and I am not alone in them.  You do what you want.  Nobody is stopping you.  Just get off my back.  And no I don't want Airbnb asking guests to donate money to me either - just plain tacky as someone else said.   I have a cancellation policy - and I expected it to be adhered to.  Otherwise this just becomes a complete **bleep** show which it has.

And no I am not a mole for Airbnb but you think what you like.  Good luck and goodbye.

@Nicky109 

The purpose of my entire communication with you is to advocate for you getting paid under the terms of your cancellation policy.  That payment would come from AirBNB issuing future travel coupons to guests. You do nothing. You have no committment to host anyone again. 

However, you cannot expect AirBNB to pay you for a cancellation without getting the money from someone else, which is why the travel coupon for future travel is suggested.

I know you are upset here and you have a right to be upset over what AirBNB has done but we have to provide AirBNB with constructive ideas so we are not further abused. 

Beth192
Level 2
Gainesville, FL

Thanks.  
Airbnb is not required to do any of this.  I do appreciate them for their kind gestures.  
None of this is their fault, remember.  Nor is it ours as hosts.  
There are SBA loans and grants and mortgages are not being foreclosed on, so all that helps too.  

Is this situation appalling? You bet it is.  
Historically appalling.  
I have reduced my expenses -put my direct tv on hold, turned off the water heater, dialed back on my insurance and put improvements on hold.  
my only concern, really, is the woman that cleaned for me.  She has children to feed and suddenly about $600 a month less to spend.  
If Airbnb covers part of the $2000 booking I lost in March, I can pay her for another month, anyway.  
THIS TOO SHALL PASS.  

No more whining.  Get to work!

Keri-Terrell0
Level 2
Chicago, IL

I'm so confused by all of this.  I don't even know what questions to ask.  None of the links that airbnb emailed us for economic relief seem to benefit the host.  What was the point of these links? My Upcoming Payouts states that I owe almost $600. I've had cancellations, and have to cancel some myself due to this virus, but airbnb has all these stipulations to make sure many don't get any relief.