Keyless entry

Richard95
Level 2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Keyless entry

Can anyone who has purchased a keyless enyty system through gokeyless.com share their experience with this company?  

19 Replies 19

I don't think I'd personally want to download an app on my phone for an Airbnb stay, that's the only way to operate it?

Tom121
Level 4
Los Angeles, CA

Yes, troublesome for sure.  Some guests come from other countries and don’t have US cell service, and I wouldn’t rely on them to have the WiFi info to get on our network.  Plus, more complicated sounds like a recipe for negative reviews.  

Danny99
Level 2
Dingley Village, Australia

The Iseo libra cylinder works with Bluetooth and it only needs the user to be able to receive text messages, in order to receive the credentials needed to open the door.

When I travel out of the US, I cannot use my phone for calls or texts. I would guess that some international travelers will be in the same situation.

I would love to hear about keyless entry without a hub. We put a Kwikset keyless deadbolt on our property (which is not yet listed). It works well, but we have not yet tried to reset the code. It seems like a big deal, popping the back off the lock and removing the batteries, then setting the code maually with sliders. It's supposed to hold 16 different codes. I don't want to go through a full reset with each turnover, but I don't think it's safe to leave a former guest's code still active when a new guest arrives. Does anyone know of simple solutions, or do we need a smart lock and hub?

LisaAndRick1, 

Sounds like you need the Rental Lock Automater (RLA) from RBoy Apps to remotely manage and automate the guest check in experience, but it does use a hub.

We've been using RBoy Apps for years to manually generate and program codes remotely but the RLA was game changer for us. We just sit back and relax, it downloads the schedules, generates user codes, SMS's the codes to the users (it doesn't email them as yet unfortunately but I can live with that), programs the locks and when it's time to check out it removes the codes from the lock and repeat cycle for next user.

There is a dedicated topic on smartthings that talks about RLA and it's features:

http://community.smartthings.com/t/release-rental-lock-automater-automate-user-codes-with-airbnb-hom...

We've been very pleased with their support and overall experience.

All you need to get going:

1. Yale or Schlage Z-Wave locks (we've used both the Schlage Connect and Yale YRD 240)

Yale: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HS1O77G

Schlage: https://www.amazon.com/Schlage-Connect-Touchscreen-Deadbolt-SmartThings/dp/B00AGK9KOG

2. SmartThings hub (www.smartthings.com)

3. Rental Lock Automater (RLA) (www.rboyapps.com)

If you're familiar with SmartThings it's pretty easy but if you aren't familiar with Smartthings then you'll have a learning curve on how to install apps. Rboy apps have detailed step by step instructions on their website on how to install RLA.

Personally I think it's totally worth it because we've also been able to save money by reducing energy wastage using the hub and a z-wave thermostat to turn off the HVAC's after the renters leave and turn it on an hour before they arrive (actually RLA does it for it automatically). It's probably the best $99 we spent on our property 🙂

If you do decide to get RLA, you may also want to check out their low battery notification app which helps us ensure that the lock battery doesn't run out on us.