Kicking out a current guest

Kailey0
Level 3
Vancouver, Canada

Kicking out a current guest

We have a guest that isn't so great right now and so it got me thinking if it's even possible to kick out a guest (not that I am going to kick this current one out).

How do you do this, and what do you think would be bad enough to kick out a guest? 

Just curious what everyone else thinks in case I have to do this in the future

18 Replies 18
Christa2
Level 2
Tampa, FL

Breaking one or more house rules but also, more importantly, not feeling safe on your own home.  Call Airbnb help line with this 

Hi,

I have same problem. My current guests are texting me all the time, asking me about every little thing comes to their mind and also do not use electricity correctly since it is a camping area with limited electricity power. And not to mention that they booked the place for extremely low price because I was first day on AIR BnB and did not know how to set the price correctly so with them we make no profit, only troubles. I am just wondering how to kick them out and not get bad review?

Thanks for any advice!

It sounds to me like maybe you are just not the type of person that has the patience and if it’s your very first and your this frustrated, might I suggest a different line of work for you because it’s only going to get worse. A year down the road you will be a mess, and the Airbnb ward is not forgiving

I agree with @Jeffery25

I’m not sure short term rental is a good fit. People have questions. They text, some a lot, some not at all. You have to get a thick skin.

You also can’t kick the guests out unless there is a safety issue or gross abuse of house rules. Worrying about a bad review is the least of the problems.  If you kick them out they’re entitled to warn future guests.

I’m amazed how many people jump into this thinking it’s an easy way to make money. It’s not.

I was kicked out for simply returning to a property that my host had relocated me and 3 other guests from to attend to my personal property that I was not allowed time to pack and take with me to a differnt house she owns.  Now she wants to charge me $15/day to store it. Airbnb refunded 1 night and paid for 1 night at a hotel. does that seem fair to you? I read some of these stories and there seems to be quite a bit of contempt, almost disgust toward the guests from the hosts, if that is really the sentiment, why on earth would they open their homes up and invite the chaos in?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It's difficult to comment @Jeffery25 as you haven't explained why the host relocated you or why they didn't give you time to pack.

Why do you need the host to continue to store your property. Why can't you collect it now you have more time.

Before I begin, let me clarify, most of the items I had left behind were items I had on eBay (I am a resaler) and if I had a sale, my shipping policy is 1 business day.

We were relocated at 9pm on Monday the 7th because they found water stains on the ceiling of the back foyer. It wasn't wet and the owner didn't bother to come look (she's 5 minutes away). I tried to talk to her about it (I know a few things about black mold and the removal of) and assured her that t was dry and posed no health risk) but her decision was quick and absolute. We were given 30 minutes to vacate. She did agree to allow me access to my belongings while we were displaced, and we all left begrudgingly. The next day, the live-in maintenance guy was pulled off the repairs to work on a different project, ffwd to thursday, the maint guy and 1 other guest returned to stay at the house while me and the other guest were not permitted to return. What was supposed t o be 2 days max is now 4, I have had 3 sales and had returned twice to process orders. Friday she got pissed because I had been returning (she was aware of my eBay) and told me that I was not allowed back until the ceiling was finished. I disobeyed. I value my customers. I follow eBay much the same as you follow Airbnb. Sunday night (Day 7) I went to wrap up a few orders, got them out to be shipped and went back to the house she put us in and the next day she found out, I was told to pack and leave so I agreed and got my things together, hailed uber, went back to the other house to get my things from there and the guys there started harrassing me and my Uber driver so I jumped in the car before it got out of hand and we left, with the majority of my stuff still back at the house.  

Side note: some you will ask why I didn't just move my things to the other house. I did not want to be at the other house and I kept being told it would be the next day or so before I could go back. (my reservation was still under the original booking)

Jeffery25
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

does anyone know what the laws are regarding the return of a guest's property that HAS been kicked outif they lrave it behind? (charging for storage etc) 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Depends. @Jeffery25, It depends:

Depends if you abandonded it.

Depends if you have the attitude, "I can just keep it there until it's convenient for me to get it. I don't want to deal with it now"

Depends if you worked in good faith (made an appointment to collect it and kept that appointment)

and were reasonably polite.

Depends if you were an abusive guest and the host now just hates you.

It depends

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Kailey0

You can kick them out anytime they have broken your rules.

Pragmatically, you need to work in good faith to mitigate their damages.

You can't make a family with 2 children leave at 1:00 am, that is not reasonable.

Pragmatically it's best to negotiate a removal that is acceptable to your guests.

Usually, negotiating a next day (or two) removal is best for both parties.

Sometimes, it's easiest to add $$.

I have the best luck with this.  "Unfortunately, I can't continue to house you. I'll let you stay this night for free, but I do ask that you leave tomorrow morning. Thank you."

How does this affect your standing with Airbnb? We have had a couple of guests who do not abide by the quiet hours set for our community. We are in a party town unfortunately and accommodations would be difficult to find last minute for guests who are asked to leave. I just see this whole thing as going sideways when you ask them to leave.

Sure But they can tell you they aren’t leaving and you can’t do anything about it

Chris2116
Level 1
Stockton, CA

Hello, I recently had a guest reserve our place for a total of 3 months now. They are in a fellowship program and instead of booking 3 months at once they just continually booked every 2 weeks. We were even courteous and blocked the dates ahead of time so they could book. 

About 2 weeks ago one of them broke our bathroom sink accidentally and cracked the porcelain and it had to be replaced. The total came to $259 and we sent the bill with receipts through AirBnb resolution center. He is saying it was an accident and so is refusing to pay. This group is supposed to be here in our home for another 10 days. Since they are refusing to pay can I or should I just kick out the group? If we pay for the sink then we are pretty much just letting them stay here for free for a week.... 

Danelle12
Level 1
Edmonton, Canada

Hello , we are new at being Host, recently we had guests who didn’t respect the noise politics. We are An Airbnb condo and our neighbours complained about the noise and called the cops because they were concerned about the guests. I asked my guest politely to check out the next day. They agreed respectfully.  But now my question is would you leave a bad review to those guests? I certainly don’t want a bad review in return.