Kirkland, Washington short-term rental ordinance

Izzy18
Level 2
Kirkland, WA

Kirkland, Washington short-term rental ordinance

Hi fellow hosts -

It turns out that about a year ago, City of Kirkland (Washington) has passed an ordinance to severely restrict short term rentals (defined as rentals of fewer than 30 days in duration).  The way the ordinance reads is that you cannot rent an entire home as a short-term rental, unless you live there as your primary residence for at least 245 days of the year (and in that case, you can do short term rental for the remaining 120).  This summer, they've begun contacting property owners - presumably by looking at listings on Airbnb and other similar platforms - about the ordinance.  

From reading the community forums, it looks like this type of restriction is becoming more and more commonplace...  What is Airbnb's position on supporting hosts who are suddenly faced with restrictive ordinances?  

For those of you in Kirkland, have you been contacted by the city?  Any thoughts of organizing together in opposition to this restriction?

2 Replies 2
Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Move to Seattle 🙂 We are allowed primary + one other after several years of angry debate.

I think the problem with areas such as Kirkland is that they are primarily low density wealthy residential and that makes the sudden appearance of people with suitcases etc stand out and leads to a backlash.

I also think neighbors are far more accepting if the owner is resident to manage the Airbnb. I certainly wouldn't want to live next door to a property that was all STR. Noise, garbage, smoking, drinking, bad parking etc etc.And that's with them knowing I live upstairs...

Christian3100
Level 1
Kirkland, WA

What condo buildings are allowing STRs in Kirkland?