Kitchen Dos & Donts

Barbara2633
Level 2
Potwin, KS

Kitchen Dos & Donts

Stephanie_0-1646768901722.png

My new listing has a complete kitchen with everything included & guests can obviously use it. Question is about what should I keep in the Fridge if anything?

I have individual condiments packets, eg ketchup, mustard & mayo but should I have anything else in there?  Looks like initially I am getting just weekend bookings so don't anticipate a lot of cooking but what other rules should I include in there?

Thanks!

14 Replies 14
Karol22
Level 10
SF, CA

I don't think you need to go overboard with what condiments you leave in the refrigerator. Though this is very much a personalized decision and based on the level of luxury you wish to provide. If you ask me, it doesn't hurt to leave some bottled water. Also providing basic spices/salt/pepper/etc nearby isn't a bad idea either. Definitely nothing to advertise about, but enough to provide an overall pleasant stay for your guests.

Kim866
Level 7
Puryear, TN

@Barbara2633 

Initially we provided a spice rack only.  Over time guests have left condiments--I have left them.  I go through them occasionally to discard anything close to being expired.  I know a lot of host toss everything every time but I find that very wasteful.  I have not had any guest complain about the condiments but have had some say they were grateful to find them there!  We have had guests purchase and leave cooking oil also, and one asked me if I had bacon grease he could have and use--lol.

I think it just depends on your average guest--ours seem to be just laid back country folks like us.  I can see where a different type of person may fuss about condiments left from someone else.  Of course they can always just ignore what's there and buy there own!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Barbara2633  Aside from your kitchen question, your photo gallery seems really incomplete. You say the place has 4 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms, but you haven't pictured any of the bedrooms and only one bathroom (with wonky, off-kilter photos).

It's very important to guests to see where they will sleep, what the beds look ike.

Also your photos are rather dark and dismal. Can you take some photos with better lighting?

Fiona243
Level 10
Birkenhead, United Kingdom

To avoid issues you need to post some instructions in your kitchen and also in the House Rules section of your listing on the Airbnb site. You'd be surprised how unfamiliar with household applicances some guests can be, especially if they come from other countries. I've had 2 electric kettles ruined because guests tried to use them to boil milk, and have had to call a plumber to unblock sinks on two occasions: once for rice down the sink, the other time it was noodles. Make it clear that if you need to call a plumber to unblock a sink or need to replace a ruined appliance, that you will reclaim the cost via the Host Guarantee. (luckily most guests don't realise how hard it is to squeeze money out of Airbnb!).

Karla533
Level 10
Santa Fe, NM

FWIW, I consider mine to be a bed-and-breakfast so I leave enough food for several days' breakfast for 2 people. I charge accordingly, however.

I leave a small carton of milk (for coffee or for the local granola), a fruit basket with 2 single serving cheeses, 6 eggs from a local farm, a Brita water filter pitcher,  salsa for the chips, and a stick of butter.

As others have said this is a personal decision and certainly varies with what you are charging.

One thing, if you need to boost your reviews, simply leaving some nice snacks or breakfast items will definitely do it.

We stayed at a small cabin in 2020 on an emergency basis when our water heater suddenly failed. The cabin is part of a complex owned by a small hotelier.

The cabin was ramshackle, had minimal natural light, had several non working light bulbs, and was full of drafts because the windows wouldn't close completely.  I was really irritated by it.

But every morning the housekeeper brought us the two utterly delicious, generous hot sack breakfasts, and we were invited to walk to the main building for a freshly pulled espresso anytime we wanted.

So of course I didn't write that negative review on Trip Advisor.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

We only keep a box of spring water in the fridge, and some milk for tea/coffee, and top up the ice trays.  I'd happily leave more in there but I think people wouldn't want to share condiments that require refrigeration and don't have sealed bottles. 

@Gillian166 I certainly wouldn’t use anything that had been opened and refrigerated 

We are in the country but the majority of our guests are city people. I assume they have that attitude too. We no longer put fresh bottles, cartons of milk in as the waste was too much, so now we put milk in clean glass bottles. So far no one has said anything negative about that. I have a sign explaining we are trying to reduce plastic waste. 

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

I've found that guest don't touch anything left in the fridge even if its sealed.  I do provide coffee, tea, spices, sugar, non dairy creamer, paper towels, toilet paper, high quality body wash, hand soap, dish soap, laundry detergent, etc, and guest often comment that the place is well equipped. So my approach is to do the things I'm supposed to do beyond expectations such as cleaning. I state in the listing exactly what I provide. Everything is good quality, sheets, towels, bed, etc. If I included a bottle of wine I would need to charge for it. Sometimes I include a container of juice or lemon-aid but like I said only one in twenty guest will open it, unless they have kids and let them try anything. lol   

I wanted to add that I don't consider any food items a deal breaker. I could include more food, or cooking options and adjust my approach. If I had 5 different listings I might take a different approach on each. My listing is close to plenty of places to eat, and I have modest cleaning fee. If guest made greasy mess I would need to go way up on cleaning fees. I also have short stays with fast turnover. Still I've considered other options. But I think most guest just want to buy their own food. They still all use the glasses, dishware, silverware etc. I was going to adjust this approach based on feedback but they all love it. Later I may go up on rates, cleaning fees, and have more time between guest to include more things I want to include like baked breads but that does take time, and anything included is one more thing guest can complain about. Food especially is personal preference. But don't think its a major factor and enjoy reading what other host are doing. 

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Barbara2633 great question for a new host. I provide fresh milk sugar, tea, coffee and nespresso coffee pods, oil, vinigar, pepper, salt, tomatoe and barbeque sauce. I make fresh ice and put a water bottle in the fridge for arrival. From our experience from staying in Airbns whilst travelling from overseas I have taken the best from our experiences and have past this onto our guests. we provide a small hamper with food for a light continental breakfast and enough food for a cooked breakfast for the number of people staying along with fresh fruit and juice. On arrival in the afternoon I make fresh scones jam and cream for their afternoon tea. 

I do this because I choose to do this and I have built this into our price, I also have a safe food handling certificate for council regulations but I am not actually preparing the food the guests are except for afternoon tea.

I also remove all food from between guests wiped down and replace with new stock. Nothing is wasted as all items are sealed  The stock removed is aired, rested between guests because of my covid clean. 

I do not say that I supply food as it is a gift from me and I am not locked into this arrangement. I also say that the hamper is a gift to get them started for their holida. So far, Guests have be happy and it shows with their positive reviews.

Jessica1183
Level 2
Portland, OR

5 bottled waters in the fridge, stuff for the Keurig, cups, plates, utensils, a pre-rolled joint, maybe a few hard candies, and that's all. People will almost always drink the bottled water, and 50/50 for everything else. I live right down the street from a Fred Meyer so it's easy for people to get what they need there. I love the ideas here, and fresh baked scones, breakfast sandwiches and espressos may be on the menu soon. 🙂 

@Jessica1183 a pre-rolled joint of what?!

Wilf145
Level 2
West Cross, United Kingdom

Hi, are you still suppling tea, coffee and sugar in sashes?