Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Kitchen access - [Poll]

kicthen access.png

Hello everyone!

I hope you're all doing well.

It is always interesting to hear your ideas and experiences on specific topics. Today I wanted to ask if you give your guests access to the kitchen? Why do you grant kitchen access or what are the reasons why you do not allow access?

I'd love to hear your opinions. If you'd like to highlight your choice, please feel free to expand on your answer by replying to this thread.

You can follow the progress here.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

11 Replies 11

We started out giving full access but started tinkering with that until we found a happy place. We now allow "light kitchen use" as another host put it. This includes fridge storage, microwave, toaster. We also allow a maximum 4-night stay. We found that longer staying guests tended to pull up in a van and move in including leaving their stuff all over the house including the kitchen. They cooked breakfast, lunch, and dinner and we couldn't use our own kitchen. I cook almost every night, so this was an issue. If it was an entire place, things would be so much different, but as a shared home, it was too much for us. I also grew tired of cleaning up after messy cooks. Bacon grease is the worst.

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

I do have youngsters whom are on 2 month placements, 22-25 year olds and some have no idea on how to feed themselves or even how to iron a shirt. I have one here at the moment, and I have had to teach him everything. Now its a very harmonious home and he has turned out to be an exceptional cook. but I do wonder what his parents were thinking when they sent him out without any basic life skills !!!!!

Just have to be very patient and understanding, but also its incredibly rewarding when you see someone grow with their self-esteem.

Happy to let guests cook a quick meal in the evenings as long as they clean, wipe, put away. In other words leave it as they found it i.e. Spotless.

If its left in a mess I have no hesitation dragging them by the feet, presenting them with cleaning materials and not allowed to leave until clean.

My Kitchen, my Domain .... The Lion has spoken.

@Chris232@Todd-and-Reese0@Quincy

Hi all,

For me, I would like to be there to help (where things are?) and learn new recipes/techniques.  That's the excuse.  Ultimately, I do want control.

The second thing?  I clean up.  They are guests, and so enjoy!  Also, I know that EVERYTHING is clean (different standards?), everything is put back where I can find it, and nothing gets broken. Totally worth the effort, in my book!

Best! ;-))

Kim
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Kimberly54,

It's great to see you around here—I hope you're doing well 🙂 

Do your guests use the kitchen often for cooking or do they tend to go out for food? My guests usually would use the kitchen for breakfast, and most of the time they would go for dinner at restaurants. If they decided to prepare dinner at home, I always had a cupboard with cooking materials that they could use. 

-----

@Quincy, doing well, thank you, and of course I am writing in present tense of vast past experiences.  

Nice to see a beautiful admin face on line!  🙂

Best always,

Kim
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Chris232,

Nice to meet you!

I was reading your post and find it so great to hear that you've been helping out the youngsters. I'm sure it will be an experience they will never forget. I can imagine that is fulfilling to see someone grow 🙂 

How are they doing so far? 

-----

Valerie192
Level 10
Inglewood, CA

I allow kitchen access. So far, hasn't been an issue (I have been hosting for 3 months). I think maybe one person used the stovetop for soup but that's been it. Microwave gets used. Most of my guests are short-termers so I think that helps.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Quincy et al. I assume full kitchen access but there are times that I doubt I can stand it any longer. A few times I had guests using the kitchen heavily, letting the vapours out and not airing it while cooking (mine is an old building so proper ventilation is crucial). Most guests do not use it that much - quick breakfast, snacks, hot drinks.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Marzena4,

I'm sorry to hear this! Would it maybe help if you print out some instructions and then stick them to one of the cupboards so that your guests can see the instructions for the use of the kitchen? 

-----

I get a lot of long-term guests (1~4 months) and allow kitchen access for simple meals. Henry and I rarely cook and our kitchen just has the basics - we are actually set up for more for food re-heating than actual cooking, so any cooking that guests have done were eggs or pasta. Also food delivery options are endless, very affordable, and available 24/7 - so often times, it's cheaper to eat out or get delivery than cooking meals from scratch. We haven't had any problems yet~~~ 

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Our guests have full access to the kitchen as our listing is for an entire house.  We provide all the cooking utensils, flat ware, plates and glasses.  All the appliances are new and stainless steel.  We keep the kitchen stocked with coffe, creamer, sugar and a few basic spices but guests must provide their own food.  There is also a charcoal grill available for guest use.