Kitchen window - how to deal with privacy

David3418
Level 4
Ringwood, Australia

Kitchen window - how to deal with privacy

I used to have holland blinds on my kitchen window and they kept falling down and getting stuck, so I got rid of them. I have now put up white translucent curtains. But they don't open and close properly because they get stuck on the wooden, horizontal curtain rail. So, I am just leaving them closed.

My kitchen windows are tinted, so people can't see into the kitchen unless the light is on during the evening. The kitchen window overlooks my small backyard and the townhouses next door. People in the townhouses could potentially see into my kitchen.

I don't currently have Air bnb guests but may do in the future, depending on the covid situation here in Melbourne, Australia.

What would be most pleasing to Air bnb guests: just have the window with nothing at all, continue with the permanently closed curtains, or something else eg venetian blinds or some other blind?

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@David3418  There are curtain rings called clip rings-they are metal and have a clip at the bottom that you just clip the curtains into. Makes it super easy to take them down when they need to be washed, and they slide really easily on the rod. They come in different sizes, but depending on how large in diameter your rod is, you might need to replace it with something smaller. I have no idea where you would find them in your area, but maybe a google search, or check out drapery supply stores. I've bought some at Walmart.

You can't just slide a curtain over a rod, because as you've found, they won't slide- you need curtain rings of some sort.

@David3418 

The curtain rings that @Sarah977  is suggesting look like these - I use these for my kitchen window too  :-)) Maybe you can show a photo at your local store (anywhere that sells curtains or blinds should have them) or buy them online. 

Elbridge+Modern+Curtain+Rings.jpgInStyleDesign-10-Curtain-Clip-Rings-1-3-8-inch-d594a62a-9d3f-455c-b9ef-d9faa9aa2396.jpg

David3418
Level 4
Ringwood, Australia

Thanks. I just bought some from Ebay.