LOCATION should be REMOVED from the 5 Star rating for all hosts worldwide.

Dennis234
Level 5
Saskatoon, Canada

LOCATION should be REMOVED from the 5 Star rating for all hosts worldwide.

It upsets / pisses me off that AIRBNB continue to use LOCATION as a reviewable point in the 5 STAR Rating Process
I currently have 3 rooms I offer through AIRBNB and usually full during the summer months with plenty of
juggling. I offer many perks (breakfast / bottled water / an  assortment of granola bars/chocolates) 
that make my posting stand out from many of the other AIRBNB rentals in the city to offer a better value
to guests who do book. Because of these perks I do get plenty of repeat guests who book year after year
when visiting our city.

Guests who book based on the location when they do book and have no problem with location. There are
guests who book based on PRICE and do not pay attention to LOCATION. I live on the edge of a smaller
city and you can travel by car anywhere in the city within 15-20 minutes of your destination.

When I am striving for a 5 STAR RATING, I do have guests which rate me on LOCATION with a 4 star or
less  and lowers my over all rating as a host. I find this feature should not be included in the list
of reviewable list towards the over all rating. On top of that I have the odd guest who rate me with a
TOTAL 4 STAR RATING due to the 4 they have given my listing on LOCATION  when they have rated all over
items as a 5 star. (If a host receives 3 5 stars our of 5 the over all rating should be 4.5 or 5 star
OVERALL).  Why would AIRBNB Penalize the host for nothing they have done and out of our control - LOCATION,
REALLY!! Still frustrated with the process.

19 Replies 19
Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Dennis234  Ya, I always wonder about that one! I've also had a few 4 stars for Location, and all I can think is.. YOU SEE WHERE YOU ARE STAYING BEFORE YOU ARRIVE!!!! LOL.. I guess how they look at it is more for the people not familiar with the area, so they can rate how convenient the location was for them. 

But I'm on your side! Remove location!!!!! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Dennis234  Location rating has been discussed on this forum many times and you are not alone, most hosts hate it.

But it doesn't factor into your Overall star rating. Except in cases where the guest themselves decide to leave a 4* Overall because they didn't like the location they chose.

Cheryl389
Level 7
Keyport, NJ

I don't think location is terrible if it gets defined. It should also show a comparison of your location score to others in the area. Mine is pretty good because it is in one of the safer areas of a gambling town, although arguably, it won't be considered as safe as other areas in general. I don't think a lot of guests fully understand the rating process either so I try to not worry about it. The overall is the only one that really matters.

I have the same issue :((

Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

OK, So now that Airbnb welcomes the Hotels to its platform does it ask the same questions for a review? Does it ask the Location question for Hotels?

Susan
Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

I was just today once again burned on location.  A woman from France left a 3 in location because the house was "too far from the downtown".  She also threw in a 3 for communication apparently because I don't speak French and left a 4 star overall rating.  She did all this even with a page in my house book about how the rating system works and it clearly explains that 3 and 4 stars are actually seen as negatives.  Nothing negative in the written review, though, so definitely not worth pursuing or arguing about with the guest over the message system.

Claire475
Level 9
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg

So annoying when you are upfront with your location, giving the distance from the airport and city centre and then being penalised for it. I recently posted somewhere else that I had a French guest who did the same. When they booked they wanted to be close to a venue for an opera, we are about 2kms away, they then gave me 3* for location because we are 6 km from the old quarter. Further, they gave me a 3* for communication and said because I only have limited French. And the cherry on top, asked if they could book with me directly next time.

Naomi207
Level 1
Bournemouth, United Kingdom

im in UK, and i have the same problem.  Guests who book here know where they are booking - its all on my pages and as im not on the beach (it clearly states how far it is and which bus or road and parking on my listing) or right in the town - again - all explained - I get marked down on location!  Its a personal thing - for some location is great - if they're visiting family in the area etc - for others - they need to read the listing better!!!

Peachie0
Level 3
Inverness, United Kingdom

I have a section in my welcome pack that says dont make yourself look like arse by rating us a 3 or a 4 for location as you picked to stay here. I got voted a 3 from a swiss lady as the Alps were nicer than the Scottish Highlands 😕 id like to think it doesnt bother me... but we all know thats not the case!

Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

I have a 4plus star on location for one room and the other room has a 5 star.

Both rooms are in the same apartment.

Maybe they rate the room where it is located inside the apartment.

I have no further explanation😂

Tiffany256
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

That's true air bnb shouldn't rate you on location. I live very close to the attraction in my city, and I got a low rating for the location. 

Heather772
Level 2
Victoria, Canada

I agree, this is a tough one for us. We are very clear about how we live in the woods, and it’s a 15 minute drive into town. People will review saying that they loved their quiet getaway in the woods but then give us 3 or 4 stars for location because it’s not right in town. How does this make sense?! 

Reg-and-Marlene0
Level 2
Pennsylvania, United States

Yes, location should be removed. Our location is a farmhouse in the countryside. You would think a guest could expect we are not in town. But given a choice to rate on location, they judge and decide the airbnb they booked was too far from town. 

We had the same happen to us. It clearly says a house in the woods. Not sure how we can improve on that.