Lack of Host Support!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Lack of Host Support!

I have been doing a bit of research!

According to Quentin Decock, bnbflow founder & CEO in March this year......

The total number of listings on Airbnb is 2'000'000. Though that does not mean there is one host per listing, some do have 200 listings (or more) on their profile, it is quite impressive.

According to the distribution, there is an average of 3 listings per host today (March '16), which gives us about 650'000 hosts on Airbnb. So let’s assume that that has grown to 800,000 by the end of 2016.

That’s Quentin’s statistic, not mine!!

In 2 years of hosting I have never had a problem that required the financial intervention of Airbnb, and I fall into the category of 70% of hosts who are in that situation. We have issues but these issues do not require the intervention of the Airbnb help in a compensatory sense.

So the potential problem pool is reduced to 240,000 hosts who in a two year period will lodge a claim for monetary compensation with the resolution centre, Trust and Safety...whatever you want to call it. Around the world that amounts to a potential 328 claims per day. That is not to say that every one of those 328 calls will result in a financial settlement, that’s just the problem calls that will be received!

Most companies that are a fraction the size of Airbnb would field at least double that number of problem calls in a twenty four hour period, and they deal with it........

Why in the hell can’t Airbnb!

We see complaints about lack of contactability, lack of help, lack of compensation daily!

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Hosts/Airbnb-ignoring-my-request-for-insurance-claim-on-guest-damage...

This is our current problem child....and hope that @Victoria won't mind me bringing this up.

She has had $4,200 damage don't to her property by an Airbnb guest, and in 2 months she cannot even get a response from Airbnb let alone any action! She just does not know what to do next.

She says all she wants is for this 'GUEST' to be held responsible.....is that so difficult! After all she didn't invite him, Airbnb did!!

This has got to stop! I am a new kid on the block, I have only been on Airbnb for two years but old timers like @Lisa & Cody will tell all that it never used to be like this. If this company was struggling to survive I would perhaps cut them a bit o slack! But this is one of the fastest growing most profitable companies on the planet', and it is time to stop this emotional 'clap trap' we are being subjected to and start, 'from the top' to remember how this company came to be where it is. I can assure you the reason it IS where it is, is not a left over air mattress in a second bedroom in San Francisco that helped out with the rent.! It is hosts like me who over two sites have had eighty 5 star reviews, and two 4 star reviews out of 87. That is what has made Airbnb great and I don't think it is too much to ask that we get a definite guaranttee of support when we need it.....not just silly words!

Cheers.....Rob

34 Replies 34
Maribel130
Level 2
Waterloo, Canada

The security deposit is set by the host, not AirBnB. It’s in your settings on pricing area.

@Maribel130 The security deposit isn't a security deposit at all: it's not collected from the guest ahead of time. As hosts we have no say over whether or not we're allowed to collect it, either. Unless the guest agrees to extra charges, you have to apply to Airbnb if there is damage, and they decide whether or not you're entitled to anything. So setting a "security deposit" is all very well and good, but will you ever see any money if there's an issue? Hard to say. Many host are denied: if you stick around these boards for a bit, you will see many hosts with damage who never see a thin dime. 

No security deposit is allowed. 

What about Evolve? Has anyone tried them

Maggie-and-Norm0
Level 10
Fernandina Beach, FL

Thanks Robin! Very well said. Sad but so true.