Lack of guests address detail

Ian-and-Jane0
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Lack of guests address detail

Airbnb, should help host and authorities by insisting on guests providing post code/zip codes to hosts. Airbnb should insist potential guests must provide adequate address details at the time of registration. If potential guest dont give basic address info on their profile hosts have no idea where the guests are travelling from; Covid restricted areas or otherwise.

We hosts do not want to accommodate guests from travel restricted high covid areas but we cant identify were people are travelling from without adequate address information being shown on guests profiles. Get your act together and correct this short coming Airbnb.

13 Replies 13
Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

I agree with you, no more bookings from NY USA, thats not really a location @Ian-and-Jane0 , for covid reasons and beyond we need to have a verified home locations, folks that refuse to identify their home locality probably have much to hide and dont deserve to be in our homes.    Verified by Airbnb needs to mean more than a credit card has been identified.   Stay well, JR

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Ian-and-Jane0 

I agree! - But Airbnb is obsessed by a guest's 'right to privacy' 😞  - so your plea will fall on deaf ears... - Did you know this is a discussion forum for members, and we tend to doubt that the Airbnb 'powers that be' ever read anything on here... and if they do, they take no notice?

Vaa0
Level 2
Monster, Netherlands

You cant guess were a person is traveling from by knowing there home address. And then you would also know there names, jobs, permits etc, we host diplomats and people who are allowed to travel anywere during pandemic. so its a hard one

Guests don't have that right to privacy at a hotel. They're given all the information and you can't check in without a passport or driver's license or other state issued ID. Only Airbnb in it's myopic immaturity thinks that as a booking agent it's job is to hold all the cards in exchange for a tiny fee while hosts assume the risks. I won't book guests who don't already have several good ratings from other hosts or who don't answer my booking questions before I approve. Not worth the trouble.

Airbnb could triple it's income if it became a host friendly site rather than a risk-averse guest friendly portal. My best guests have been the ones that wanted to get to know me. My worst ones are the ones who were looking for a cheap hotel equivalent.

We actually had guests last year that stole toilet paper before they left! They went into my Husbands Garden, helped themselves to vegetables, and never even asked permission. They also left the place filthy!

The worst part, I can’t warn other prospective hosts to be cautious about this family! The group didn’t write a review, so my review didn’t come to light. ( I couldn’t think of anything positive to say except that they took their garbage outside to the cans...)

@Bev387  All reviews get posted regardless of whether both parties leave a review or not.

Once both have left reviews, both get published. If only one party leaves a review, it will be published 14 days after check out.

Are you saying you left a review, but never saw it posted? Maybe you looked for it before the 14 days were over? 

I waited so long to post the review, because I couldn’t think of anything positive-except the garbage removal, I may have missed the window completely?? These people had no reviews....it taught me to be a lot more cautious for the future!

@Bev387 If the guests were pretty much all around horrid, why do you feel you have to say anything positive?

I know it feels better if there's something positive you can sandwich in with the bad, like maybe they were total slobs, but were quite personable and responded right away to host messages.

But something to keep in mind is that you aren't reviewing them as people, you are reviewing their suitability as guests. And if they aren't respectful guests, other hosts need to know that.

I've had several guests who had no previous reviews, they all were lively guests, and one if them turned out to be one of the nicest, cleanest guests I've ever had. When he left, it didn't even look like anyone had stayed in the room for the 4 days he was here, aside from the used towels hanging neatly on the rod. He even made the bed perfectly:-)

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Ian-and-Jane0 I get ID from all guests (or did when I was allowing ABB guests to come) and agree that ABB should help more with transparency in this area BUT just bc someone has a home address, that doesn't mean that's where they've been. They could have been anywhere, doing anything, knowing where they pay mortgage and receive mail doesn't tell you anything about someone's covid risk.

@Ian-and-Jane0 

Agree with @Kelly149 that getting a guest's address and/or other personal information doesn't really help determine covid-19 related risks or know where they've been. 

Prior to covid-19 I used to ask to see guest's ID and got their full name, nationality and passport # (since I only hosted international guests, no locals) for my own safety and protection in case something went wrong during a stay.

Anthony223
Level 10
Portugal

I completely agree. We need to know as much as possible about all prospective guests.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

I totally agree with @Ian-and-Jane0 , @Bev387 , @Sarah977 , @Jessica-and-Henry0  @Kelly149  and @Christine615.

- An address from when someone registered a few years ago, could be well and truly out of date.

- An address someone uses, could be just for tax as a mail collection point, a base. I know this for a fact with friends.

But yes, I’ve had a fair percentage of guests that are still “living” where they originally registered their profile from, but easily 40% who are no longer in the same town or city, let alone the same state! That’s too large a number of guests who might have been in Covid19 amber or red hot spots. Too big a number who by travelling to the host’s STR / LTR, may be entering a restricted environment illegally. That is, not allowed to enter by federal or local laws under the dept of health, or emergency management Act.

(or similar per country)

Example: As a host, we see the registered city and  think someone’s arriving from NSW, but in fact they are well and truly living in Qld. As a matter of safety, not just trust, hosts should not be trying to operate legally within the law, with one hand tied behind their back by @Airbnb, a rental platform........

Accountability is need now, not just trust... which is such a misused word for a business partnership. Should I trust you = probably. Do I trust you, by your lack of disclosure, accountability and refreshing of information at the point of booking: NO.

A guest should, at the time of booking, have to provide accurate information. Sure, I could book for somewhere in 18 months time. But when we get to within a few weeks of the booking dates, a flagged reminder should be a requirement to update details.

Show the current information for the guest and they must update or be found untrustworthy.

“a comment field” could be created for “other”. Example:

yea our residing address is accurate, be we are currently travelling and will be arriving from ”............” named. This information should be forwarded to the host at the time it is saved. 

@Airbnb, please allow us to be proactive and compliant to the laws around us, not just your terms. For us both to survive, we need to work together as a partnership, along with the guest.

I have also created this Covid19 questionnaire for my guests, on arrival.

COVID-19: VISITOR DECLARATION CHECKLIST 

Entry to the premises beyond the courtyard is to be limited to essential need only. 

ALL registered individuals (employees, family, visitors, or contractors) permitted to enter the space must complete the following COVID-19 visitor declaration checklist:

1. Have you washed your hands or used alcohol-based hand rub (ABHR) on entry? 

(You will be directed to where you can do this)

2. Do you have the following symptoms? 

Fever                                                                                                                               YES  /  NO

Sore throat                                                                                                                   YES  /  NO

Cough                                                                                                                             YES  /  NO

Shortness of Breath                                                                                                 YES  /  NO

Fatigue                                                                                                                           YES  /  NO

Aches & Pains                                                                                                              YES  /  NO

Runny & Stuffy Nose                                                                                                YES  /  NO

If YES to any of these questions, please do not enter the premisesPlease seek urgent medical advice.

3. Have you worked with persons with confirmed COVID-19?                                          YES  /  NO
4. Have you travelled overseas or interstate in the last 14 days?                                       YES  /  NO                        
5. Are you awaiting a Covid19 test result?                                                                                    YES  / NO       
6. Are you living with someone self-isolating or awaiting Covid19 test results?         YES  /  NO
7. Have you had contact with someone known to have contracted COVID-19?        YES  /  NO
8. Have you self-isolated or been in mandatory isolation in the last 14 days?              YES  /  NO  
9. Have you been in a declared Hot Spot recently?                                                                  YES  / NO       

If YES to any of these questions, please do not enter the premisesPlease seek urgent medical advice.

If NOplease proceed to enter and proceed to wash hands or use the hand sanitiser available.

•  Maintain a physical social distance of 1.5 metres from others outside your “safe group”
•  During your stay, please do NOT shake hands with, or touch those on site, not belonging to your “safe group”.

•  Please follow required personal hygiene protocols sneeze in elbow/cough in elbow
•  Wash hands well with soap and water, use sanitiser.

Please fill in your full name and contact number below:

I ______________________________________ declare the above to be a true and correct statement.

(please print name)   

Contact phone no: _______________________________

Email address:      _______________________________

Signature: ________________________________________Date ________________

NB: As per NT Government privacy requirements, these forms are securely destroyed after 28 days.

Updated as per NT CHO requirements 30 November 2020 V2 February 2021

I need to state the checklist is a works in progress.

I also send to the guest, the NT Govt link to the local Territory Check In Health App. This App allows guests to scan a QR Code at venues, such as a coffee shop or restaurant. They can list multiple members ( eg family group)

The venue doesn’t see this information, but it can be drawn upon by the NT health dept for contact tracing if needed.

Another thing to note  @Kelly149 in Australia, someone’s license address may be “their base”, not where they have indeed travelled from. 

So all systems are flawed. But having @Airbnb  being progressively on the side of hosts and safety, is good business.  💐