Lady Bug infestation - What can I do?

Janice368
Level 1
Bradenton, FL

Lady Bug infestation - What can I do?

I purchased a cabin in Mineral Bluff, GA (near Blue Ridge) a few months ago and have recently experienced an infestation of Lady Bugs - 100s of them swarming. I recently had the cabin sealed and stained concerned about boring bees so I would have thought this may help with other "bug" issues. The lady bugs are harmless but when you open the cabin door and find many dead on the floor or kitchen cabinets it does not help guests feel the cabin is clean. I did some research and read to spray the outside doors and entry ways with vinegar to kill the pheromones so they don't return, so we did this. Less than a week later they were back. I personally was at the cabin last week and experienced two swarms back to back in two days. Day 1 I sprayed pest control and vacuumed them up both inside and on the patio. Day 2 we set off a fogger and left the cabin for the day. Apparently swarm number 2 arrived and we had just as many as the day before. I sprayed a specific insecticide for lady bugs outside and spent the next day cleaning everything, air vents, shelves, cabinets, floors, decks, screens, etc. Yesterday we saw on our out door camera more arrived again with guests checked-in. 

Help - ideas to reduce our home as a magnet and what do others do if guests are checked-in. We clean between guests but concerned about impact when they are there. I understand this also occurs in the fall and spring so hoping this is a short window when this occurs. Does anyone use a lady bug disclosure they can send too.  Thank you!  

4 Replies 4
Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

You are best to be upfront & honest with guests before they book. You can explain the situation & make sure they are ok still staying there. Being honest before they book let's them know what to possibly expect so that it doesn't upset or bother them after they check in, leading to them cancelling or leaving a bad review.

Thank you

Susan1404
Level 10
Covington, GA

@Janice368- I am pretty sure you are suffering an infestation of Asian Beetles, not lady bugs.  They are not harmless - they cause terrible streaks and stains on walls and furniture and may bite if you handle them.  They invaded the south about 10-12 years ago and November is their prime season to come out in swarms.  What is worse is that they cannot easily be eradicated because even though the adults can be sprayed by a pesticide and will die, there are thousands more than will hatch each day.  I now have them in my house and my airbnb cabin.  I have to explain this scenario to customers and it is a bad problem each fall now.  I have found the best way to combat them is to vacuum them each day, sometimes several times a day.  You can Google "Asian Beetle" and read about what a problem they are here in the south.

Thank you, do you have any specific message you use to advise your guests that would be helpful, thanks.