Landlord registration in Scotland

Jim409
Level 1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Landlord registration in Scotland

Hello there just wanting any advice in clarifying whether I need to register as a landlord if I am hosting my airbnb in Scotland, I am self employed so will also be declaring my income as I don't live in the property, but live in England.

On the scottish council website it indicates:

Exemptions  -

There are some situations where you don't have to register with a council to rent out a property.

These include:

* holiday lets

So am presuming i am ok?

Also if anyone can direct me to an area which helps me to define a list of expenses I can offset my tax against I would be very grateful.

Thank you in advance fellow airnbnb friends

6 Replies 6
Nuala4
Level 2

Hello Jim,

I'm interested in finding out more about registration myself also. We have been hosting for about a year and a half, we aren't registered as I didn't believe it was required. However, I just recieved an anonymous threatening letter about our property, as I am not registered. I also not the exemption for 'holiday lets' but I'm not sure how this applies.

Sorry I'm not more help.

Nuala

Elliott25
Level 2
Edinburgh, GB

Apologies for being late to the party - did anyone find any resolve?

For Jim:

Let's get the easy one out of the way: expenses.

1. gov.uk/expenses-if-youre-self-employed
  2. There's sections on what you can and cannot claim.
  3. The basic rule is be sensible. Claim for paint, decorator costs, sundries, supplies, equipment purchases to offset against your tax return at your particular tax percentage (usually 20, 40 or 45% depending on your earnings after the annual allowance).
  4. Not quite sure if you could hold travelling to and from the property (say from where you are in England to Scotland) - but, as it being a business reason, I don't see why not

I've seen that Edinburgh city may be soon introducting a cap similar to London where one can only Airbnb for a certain period of time.

You'd likely have to register as a landlord as you're not living in the property, but you are correct when it comes to holiday lets.

I'd double check though as there are differing laws between Scotland and England, and I'm not soliciting any advice nor am legal counsel: Shelter is a great source of information.

For NUALA:

Done countless research on this topic, and because there is no specific wording relating to brand names (obviously) or disambiguation surrounding a similar service, one could assume that Airbnb falls under the Rent A Room scheme.

There are benefits under this scheme, such as earning £7,500 tax-free per year, although you wouln't deduct expenses (that way works out to cost more).

However, this only applies if you continue to live in your home when you have guests.

Under the lodger agreement, as you'd have 'lodges' rather than tenants.

From Shelter, "If you are using the home as your only and main residence and they will be no more than 2 lodges in your property, you won't need to be registered as a landlord."

BOTH:

You could go to landlordregistrationscotland.gov.uk and complete an application and see where your particular situation lies.

gov.uk/rent-room-in-your-home

Hope this helps

Bruno866
Level 2

I am also interested to know if I have to register on the Landlord registration since I started Airbnb this year. My property has been recently changed to Holiday Let and it appears  to be in the exemptions section. 

Could you advise please.

Lawrence210
Level 2
Scotland, United Kingdom

I recent joined the Airbnb host community in Scotland.

I have inquired of the council as to the legislated requirement for Airbnb landlords.

At this present time, June 2021, there is not a legal requirement for landlord registration for short term holiday lets.

Fiona256
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Holiday letting properties do not need landlord registration. It is a requirement for long-term letting.

But the government is proposing to introduce a compulsory onerous licensing requirement for short-term lets. Full details can be found on the SG website - https://www.gov.scot/publications/short-term-lets-consultation-licensing-scheme-planning-control-are...

Catherine2926
Level 2

You don’t need to register for holiday let in Scotland.

although there’s new legislation coming end this year.