Language barrier ... Today I had a nice story to share

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Language barrier ... Today I had a nice story to share

My house is in Chiang Mai, Thailand so most of my Airbnb guests are international. Traveler from China has become most % in my home town. Like everyone we all afraid of opening the house to someone who cannot understand English. Most of my guest they can speak English even Chinese guests.   

But 5 day ago I got a guest who cannot speak or understand English, no review and just create an account. We need to use the translation from an app. I already panic about cleanness and loud noise. But it turns out to be they are very polite, clean and appreciate every thing in my house.

After my guests check out I check a room and it was clean. I sent a thanks message to them day passing and they write me a great review but what I want to show is my private message.

china.JPG

I do hope any host who afraid of accepting some one who cannot speak English got a chance to get an experience like me. So we can all fill "belong anywhere"

PS. I'm sorry for my English too.  

8 Replies 8

@Nutth0

Thanks for sharing such a positive experience!

There are so many apps, even google translate! If people tried harder to communicate, there are so many ways!  Plus! Do not underestimate the power of BODY LANGUAGE! People from English speaking countries usually don't know how easy they have it - there are a lot of people in world spending a ton of time and money trying to learn English.

Digressing a bit here but I was in Chiang Mai last year with Henry, and we have many wonderful memories 🙂 and would love to visit again! The pic of us in our profile was taken during that trip!!!

Happy hosting~!

Nutth0
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Jessica-and-Henry0 ohh you took from Wat phrathat doi suthep .... nice and from my house, I can see this holy temple. I'm so happy you like our city.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Lovely topic @Nutth0, it is great to hear your story with your recent guest. It really sounds like you made his trip and hopefully he will pop back to visit again one day.

I wonder in the process did you learn any Chinese (Mandarin perhaps?)? 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Nutth0
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Lizzie I only know 謝謝 " Thank you " but one thing is, In smart phone to write a Chinese it need a lot of hands drawing not typing! And Airbnb messages is translation very well. and like @Jessica-and-Henry0 mention I use a lot of acting and drawing to make guest understand ... but it fun 🙂

Hi Nuhh

I am airbnb host and am a Chinese, actually your guests gave you a very high remark. They love your place and love your patience for their English.

It's so nice to see people getting along worldly.

Cathy Li

Lois10
Level 5
Rock Springs, WY

Hi if you download the WeChat app you can type in English and they will see your reply in Chinese. It is Ike our Facebook but for China . 

Nutth0
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Lois10 Thanks for a tip. I think about it but if any problem happens I will lose evidently for Airbnb investigate. that why try to talk pass Airbnb app all the time.  

Yes the guests are nice enough to take care of the place for cleanliness and all.

They do not damage things.

Moreover I ask the every thing on my personal chat and provide them as per their demand.

First thing I do when guest books is I take their personal no.in India and add them to whatsup chat and ask them their requirements and keep everything ready in the premises.