Las Vegas regulation/laws 2018

Las Vegas regulation/laws 2018

Hello,

I am new to airbnb and I wish to move to Las Vegas, buy a house, and make the spare rooms available up for hosting.

Purpose of hosting wouldn't necessarily be to make money, I don't expect to even break even on my monthly expense judging by the low rates that are available from my light browsing.  But rather, to supplement some side income so that it will lessen my monthly expense.

I wish to buy a house with 3 or more berooms, and I will be occupying the house.  

I understand the city of las vegas has recently implemented some new laws that are extremely hostile to hosts.  I have done some light research so far on my own, but I hope someone can help me clarify the situation a bit better.

So if I buy a residential unit, owner occupied, 3 + bedrooms, do I have to acquire a Short term rental permit?  a CUV? or  a SUP?

Assuming the house that I buy does not belong in a HOA, or assuming that I earn permission from the HOA, is the license from the city easily attainable?

And the $500 annual fee, is that per house or per bedroom?

I also read somewhere that north las vegas area, correct me if I am wrong, are exempt from this type of restrictions.  Is that correct?

Anyways, I wish to permanently move to Las Vegas and actually live there so my intent for hosting is not necessarily to make money for the sake of making money.   If I am able to supplement my income with hosting, that will make my decision to move in to the state that much more attractive.

Thank you for reading and thank you for any input.

20 Replies 20
Malee-Anne0
Level 2
Las Vegas, NV

Short term rentals are not allowed in the County but within city limits with a license of $500 a year per property. It's not an wasy process and not guranteed that you will get approved. Most HOA's do not allow it. There is over 4K airbnb rentals here and less then 200 are licensed so you do the math...

I do believe owner occupied has a different set of rules and is easier to get aprroved for as long as it is only a 3 bedroom home.

Thank you for the response.

I have since decided not to move to Vegas, at least in the near term.  I have been in touch with some city officials and did some more research on my own and it wasn't worth the hassle.  

I am someone that tries to do things legally and all the laws are extremely clear that they simply do not want people that are trying to set up short term rentals.

From most HOAs barring short term rentals, 650ft from another short term rental, neighborhood approval, city approval, etc etc, just not worth it.

Hi Tim. CONGRATS on moving to Las Vegas.  I currently manage properties online mostly, and some physically in town. If you have additional questions you can reach me by email at ****.

Thanks

Summer

LV, NV 

*[Personal information hidden for safety reasons - in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Hi Stephanie,

I am new to Airbnb.

I was wondering in Henderson do you know if there are different rules, laws?

Hi Lee. Thank you for reaching out to me with your question. I'm currently at work (Airbnb), and will look into that for you. I'm off at 330pm, and will get back to you.

Thank you.

Stephanie, Case Management Team

Hi Lee,

Thank you for your patience. If you copy the link below in your search engines, this will give you some information on City of Henderson Laws as well as similar info about Las Vegas as a whole.

https://www.kingofcasas.com/rules-regulations-las-vegas-airbnb-rentals/

It seems similar, or the same regarding the laws overall.

https://www.kingofcasas.com/rules-regulations-las-vegas-airbnb-rentals/

This is correct! Great job on this reply Malee. 

Colette139
Level 2
California, United States

Hello everyone,

I have been searching virously for weeks, both through Airbnb & on Google.  Still struggling to find a source that is both 1. exhaustive and 2. has working links.

My unit is in the MGM Signature, which should be within zoning limitations, since the building operates as a hotel.

Is anyone familiar with what I need besides:
1. Nevada State Business License
2. Las Vegas Short Term Rental Permit

Do I also need a Las Vegas - Clarik County (city specific) Business License?

I also read in another Airbnb thread that an owner's application was rejected as there was another vacation rental permit within 660 feet.  I'm clearly within a hotel building - does that mean I'll get shut down? 

Would greatly appreciate speaking to anyone with familiarity in this area!!

Thank you,

Colette

Stephanie817
Level 2
Las Vegas, NV

I would contact Clark County Business License Bureau 702-455-4253. You want to get a pretty accurate answer. But in my opinion, you should be okay being that it's the property of the hotel. Then, you are running your own business, so a License will be needed based on how much you make yearly..

Yes, calling them would be better. Too confusing. Good luck!

Do you know what the City Council has changed for Airbnb in Clark County?

I was told that it is now for owner occupied only but is this correct?

Thanks!

Salim6
Level 2
Fremont, CA

I called the Las Vegas business office and they said it is illegal to host in Las Vegas period and there is a $1000 fine per day if anyone is caught hosting.

Is there any solution to this?

is something happening?

is there any solution?

Hi Salim

I'm not sure where you got that from. There are certain restrictions in some parts of the Las Vegas County where you can, legally host. Do you have a link to support your Statement?

Suzy83
Level 2
Australian Capital Territory, Australia