Last minute cancelation 1 hour after scheduled arrival time?

Georgie1
Level 1
Stamford, United Kingdom

Last minute cancelation 1 hour after scheduled arrival time?

Hi 

I've had a guest who was due to check in today at 14.30 but text at 15.30 to say they've had an issue back home and have to return. They didn't elaborate on it and did say they understand they will loose their money.  

However, In terms of cancellation, do i need to encourage my guest to cancel the reservation through the site or can i accpet the text as cancellation? Im concerned it will affect my review scores negatively if the guest will be unable to leave a review as they didnt stay. Is this the case that a guest not leaving a review but through the site looks liked they've stayed affects your score negatively if that makes sense?

If id had notice earlier or it  was a quiet weekeday they had cancelled i would offer to change their reservation to an  altertnative date but at short notice i'm unlikely to get another guest for this evening and feel im loosing out. I am usually booked for  fridays and saturdays and had this booking for over a month. I had also gone to quite a bit of effort for them as my guest let me know it was their joint birthdays they were celebrating, so had put up some bunting  and a few balloons and made and laid out a cake with candles in the kitchen for when they arrived. 

Many thanks community! 

5 Replies 5
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Georgie1 Do not cancel!!  You don't need to do anything.  You get to keep the reservation payout unless the guest makes some other arrangement with Airbnb .   The guest needs to contact Airbnb if they want a refund. 

Georgie1
Level 1
Stamford, United Kingdom

Thanks Clare, that's good reassurance. I haven't cancelled but will it matter if they dont cancel through Air bnb? I'm wondering if not receiving a review will affect my "overall satisfaction" result and abilty to get a superhost rating which i'm hoping for? 

Georgie1
Level 1
Stamford, United Kingdom

And thanks for the tip Lizzie! Have already eaten it...bye bye New Year diet ; ) 

Would you have any insight into the question above I've asked Clare? Does not receiving a review from what looks like a completed stay ( if my guest doesnt cancel through the site) affect my review ratings? 

Not getting a review does not affect your ratings. It is not visible. Most of my bookings are not through Airbnb so I have no reviews for those bookings on the Airbnb site but even if I did....the "reservations" are not visible to anyone but me. No one will notice that you did not get that review!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Georgie1,

Welcome to the Community Center. Aww this is a shame they couldn't make it in the end and all the effort you went to, I'm sure they would have loved it. On a more positive note, at least you can eat cake now! ( Oo and if you take a pic, there is a great thread in the Living Room board showing food other hosts have made for there guests, so please do add it there-it's called 'Meal of Champions' )

As @Clare0 mentions there are penalties involved in cancelling and is a widely discussed subject here in the CC, so I do recommend you taking a look either by using the search bar at the top of the page to find other discussions on this or checking the Airbnb Help Center. 

Enjoy your weekend. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.