Last minute cancellation advise

Jamie720
Level 2
Wisconsin, United States

Last minute cancellation advise

Hello everyone, 

This is my first post with this community, and I am a very new host! I have had my first last minute cancellation, and I was hoping I could receive some advise on how to handle the refund in this situation. My cancellation policy is moderate, and these guests cancelled tonight at 10pm, and their check in is tomorrow afternoon. Their reason for cancellation is the expected snow in our area on Thursday and Friday. There is supposed to be snow but it looks like only a few inches. 

Air bnb obviously sent me the customary email stating I would receive the payment for the booking minus the cleaning fee, and that give full refund button option is at the bottom. My guess is that the guests who cancelled will ask for a full refund, although they haven’t yet. I definitely will not be able to re-book the room tomorrow night.

I was hoping to learn how more experienced hosts handle these situations when they come up. 

Thank  you in advance! 

Jamie 

35 Replies 35
Jamie720
Level 2
Wisconsin, United States

@Sarah977 Thanks for taking the time to respond! 

You're definitely right, the cancellation policy is there for a reason! 

As a newbie I want to get other hosts' input before I make these decisions, so I can avoid some common mistakes before I make them.

This has been very helpful, and as a person who gets guilted into things easily it was a nice boost of confidence about my decision not to refund. 

You are appreciated! 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Jamie720 I can't tell from your message exactly what the timing is, but please keep in mind that cancellations within 24 hours of checkin time DO get to review you

Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Kelly149 

You know that by experience?

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

@Robbie54 

Ah! Ah! Ah!

Don’t worried, all the French know that meteo in UK = rain.

If there is a mistake, it’ll be a good surprise 😎

Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

@Nathalie-Et-Gilles0 lol so true. I guess northern France isnt much different...

Michelle1851
Level 10
Littleton, CO

I just had this happen, guest asked for a full refund 1 day before check in due to covid, he asked politely, so I refunded the entire amount, I would feel guilty doing anything else. I'm new at this.  It was a large amount, and I was a little bit worried, so I changed my settings to allow sameday reservations and doubled my rate.  It ended up working out, I got two shorter bookings for more money,  which made up for his 4 day stay.  

@Michelle1851 , turning a pile of canine waste into fertilizer is alchemy (and creative hosting), good going.  Its not perfect to have fast and hard policies and sometimes not best business practice either.   As smaller businesses/ Inn Keepers, we have the ability and agility to chew gum and walk at the same time and it often benefits us if we can.   Stay well, JR

@Michelle1851 What on earth is the point of having a cancellation policy then? You’re just training guests to expect to be able to get out of the contract they signed by simply smiling nicely and asking.  Please change to flexible. 

Be aware that same day bookings are risky btw.

I won't do it again, and I don't want to encourage this,  I was caught off guard and not sure what to do, I'm learning each day.  I'm hoping for the best with my sameday booking,  I have  to check the condo out later today :).  I have  personally made a same day booking before when we were on  a road trip and it was such a relief to find a place when we needed it unexpectedly, hoping for the same here.

@Michelle1851 One of the big problems with same day bookings is that those are the ones most prone to not getting paid. The guest books, checks in, and then you get a message from Airbnb saying, Oh, sorry, the guest's payment failed.

But the guest is already in residence and you are left to boot them out.

I didn’t know about possible payment problems, but I was very nervous all night:) It turned out fine, condo was in excellent condition, they only used beds, bathrooms and rearranged throw pillows ( something each guest seems to do) they didn’t use kitchen at all but left some beer.  I don’t think I’ll do this again due to anxiety on my part, but it worked out this time. 

Michelle2475
Level 8
Massachusetts, United States

@Colleen253  You’ll get a chuckle out of how this turned out. After all of that wrangling she did give me a positive review but gave me a 4 for value!  She negotiated for a $50/day discount on a holiday weekend and doesn’t think that’s good enough? Other places in the same area were $200+ more per night. The good news is they were good guests (except for leaving the door open when it was under 10 degrees). 

@Michelle2475 

“She negotiated for a $50/day discount on a holiday”. Guests who ask for discounts will always be trouble in some way @Michelle2475. They are best declined. This guest proved that for you. Between all the hoohah she put you through with wanting to cancel, leaving the door open, and the “thanks for the discount, but 4 stars for you!” slap in the face, this is not a good guest, and one no host should have to endure ever again. I hope you give her a thumbs down “would not host again” review.

Michelle2475
Level 8
Massachusetts, United States

@Colleen253 I wrote a longer reply but got "an unexpected error" in posting.  The gist of it is - I would host her again since she was neat, respectful, etc.  I dinged her on the house rules but, honestly, she may have had the mud room door closed. Her review was very good and netted an overall 5 so I guess it could be worse.  

If you saw this review would it give you the idea of the fact that she was trying to cancel?

"Hannah is a nice girl and was very respectful of our home. Communication was excellent and I’m glad she was able to resolve a hiccup in her plans and not miss out on enjoying the mountains! She is welcome back!"

@Michelle2475  "If you saw this review would it give you the idea of the fact that she was trying to cancel?"

No, not even slightly.