Last minute cancellation by guest - advice appreciated please!

Last minute cancellation by guest - advice appreciated please!

Hi all,

I'm seeking advice from the amazing experienced super star hosts in this community for guidance.

I have recently had two terrible experiences one after the other that are semi-linked - both causing me so much stress and anxiety.

The first guest notified me during his stay that one of the beds of my two-bedroom apartment had broken slats (probably from the bed being jumped on). Until he alerted me, I had no idea it was broken, and he insists it wasn't him which means my cleaners had missed it. I wasn't sure who to charge the damage to as I had no evidence of it being there prior to his visit or not so I was happy to cover it. I offered him a late check out and half of his cleaning fees back as recourse, however this was ignored. Then the day after he checked out, he suddenly requested that 2 full days of his 4-day booking be refunded because he paid for 2 rooms and only got 1 - and it was only then that he told me he slept on the sofa couch for the remaining 3 nights after he discovered the slat issue. I had the opportunity to go and fix the slats because I was getting some spare ones, but he refused access on the morning I was free and then told me that they were ok. So, all of this came as a shock to me and I was quite saddened by it because he himself is a host in another city and I would have thought of all people he would understand this was accident and could have been rectified quite easily if he had given me access (just a 30 minute job to fix). Of course, I'm sorry I didn't fix it during his stay but it was only because he said that they were ok and I also didn't know he was sleeping on the couch for the rest of his stay. He based his costs as exactly half of the booking included service fees to Airbnb as well as if the apartment was exactly split into two rooms which I deem unfair as an apartment is more than just bedrooms. You have utilities, internet, the lounge, dining, kitchen and other building amenities so splitting exactly down the line does not make sense to me. I have gone back to him with a counter offer, but I feel that if I don't give him his full request back, he now can leave me a negative review. Does anyone have any advice on what a fair resolution would be? I have offered him 3 nights at a third of the costs per night instead of exactly half - is this fair? 

To add injury to insult, I attended the clean after the first guest checked out and as I want to be a considerate person I notified my next guest as a courtesy that there was a small bed slat issue and I was getting spare slats to replace it but would need access to the apartment a little after her check in time to access and replace them. I had said in my message that the beds were stable but just couldn’t be jumped on. To my utter surprised the next guest immediately cancelled her booking and then demanded a full refund without even speaking to me (even though I had sent her all my check in details earlier that morning) and she had my direct number. Being that it was Saturday afternoon already and I had held her booking in my calendar for nearly 2 weeks I said to her that I couldn’t refund her stay as I have a moderate cancellation policy and only offer refunds if she cancelled 5 days prior to her arrival, not to mention I was unlikely to get a booking in so late into the weekend and the apartment was perfectly liveable bar the slat issue which would be fixed shortly. That’s when the nastiness and name calling started, followed by threats of legal action and defamation across the Airbnb and other public forums. Even claiming that she was looking forward to taking legal proceedings against me outside of Airbnb (not sure what she meant by this as getting a lawyer would cost more than what she paid for the two nights she booked with me). I called the super host hotline and opened a case about this and as this guest was started to send threatening and harassing messages my case manager said I could block this guest from searching my apartment and future bookings, so I did so and followed the case manager’s instructions. The next day however, I received an automatic email from Airbnb asking me to review the guest which I found strange since she never even checked in nor stayed at the apartment, so it seemed absurd that she would be allowed to review me. So I called Airbnb again as I assumed any cancellated booking would immediately disqualify a guest from reviewing a host and to my utter surprise was then told by Airbnb that this guest now can review me because she cancelled on the day and are automatically qualified to leave a review and potentially ruin my super host status. I feel completely vulnerable and unprotected by Airbnb as a host, as someone who has followed their guidelines and sought their advice repeatedly that someone now my reputation is on the line for this guest to maliciously libel. Has any other hosts received this sort of treatment from Airbnb and is there any hope for me to prevent this guest from completing a review?

Such has a small issue as bed slats has been turned from a molehill into a mountain and is now causing me sleepless nights. It wasn’t that the apartment had a flood, or electrical issue or fire – we are talking bed slats here. I know I was unlucky to get two intolerant guests in a row but how does one deal in a situation like this as a host?

Would love any advice, help, consoling stories you may have for me. Thank you all in advance for all and any assistance that can be provided.

12 Replies 12
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Suzii0 so sorry you are having all this stress and hassle. It is late at night here in Florida so I just wanted to say...there Is support on the CC and I hope you will get some peace soon. Tomorrow I will write more. Blessings Clara

Thank you Clara I look forward to hearing your advice tomorrow. 

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

Oh @Suzii0, you poor thing - this sounds terrible! It just seems more and more guests are taking advantage of the slightest things to demand a refund. I really can't believe that another host in particular would be so unreasonable!

I think your offer for the first guest is perfectly fair - you offered to resolve the situation for him and he refused you access and you had no idea he was sleeping on the couch. Therefore, it is unreasonable to demand that you now refund him half of his 4-night fee. It may be that he will leave you a negative review anyway, even if you give into his demands, but you will be able to come back with a public response.

As for the second guest, oh my goodness. Honestly, she wants to take you to court??? She won't have a leg to stand on so I wouldn't worry about that. But it is one of Airbnb's more ludicrous policies that guests can still review you even if they cancel. Airbnb unfortunately has a reputation for failing to look after its hosts and favouring guests over hosts.  I suggest contacting Airbnb support again as soon as possible and stand strong in your resolve to prevent this person from leaving a review based on their threatening behaviour. You offered to resolve a situation that was not your fault and the guest has cancelled and threatened you with legal action.  If they do end up being able to leave a review, you can come back with a public response but unfortunately it may affect your superhost status. I am very sorry for your situation, but please do make sure you review both of these guests honestly so as to warn other hosts off them and prevent them from booking in the future. We hosts can only rely on each other, not Airbnb, for protection. Best of luck with it and please keep us posted as to what happens.

Hi Kath,

Thank you for your message and kind words.

I hope I'm allowed to post this here as I'm not disclosing the guests full name but this is what she was threatening. 

Airbnb.jpeg

She sent one more threatening message before I blocked her telling me that she was entitled to a full refund because my property was not as it should be and because I chose not to refund her I would now need to pay the consequences. She then told me to seek legal advice as she is taking legal action outside of Airbnb along with other means of raising public awareness through lawful practices so the public are aware of my actions (not sure what lawful practices allows for defamation?). 

In my 4 years of hosting I've never been threatened by a guest like this. It made me sick to my stomach to think such people exist to be so malicious to other person. 

But I'm most disappointed in Airbnb for knowing this guest is threatening me in such a way and still allowing her to review me. How is this an ok way to treat a host much a less a super host who tries to do everything by the book? We cancel on a guest and we lose our super host status immediately. They cancel on us and we have to give a full refund or receive a scathing review - how is that fair? 

Kenneth-And-Lilia0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

As for the first guest.  Nope, sorry, you are not entitled to ANYTHING.  It is the guests responsibility to notify you of problems in a timely matter.  By him sleeping on the couch for three days, that says he was fine with the accomodations.  No refund.  As for the second guest.  Nope, no refund.  You committed to your reservation and the host advised of a problem that would be fixed very quickly.  You are NOT entitled to any refund.  Let her sue you, she'll lose and then be out court costs too.  If she does sue, you have the right to countersue and ask for any fees that you incur for having to go to court as well as you have the right to ask for compensation due to her threats for mental anguish as well as any potential bookings you may lose.  You prove this by showing what your average monthy billings were before her review and then what they are afterwards.  The court will decide the duration.  Either way, NEITHER GUEST GETS A DIME IN REFUNDS

Hi Kenneth, 

I appreciate your perspective on neither guests getting a refund but I would lose my superhost status from two bad reviews as a result. I’m trying to resolve at least the first one amicably so I don’t get two strikes immediately which is why I counter offered the first guest.

For the second guest I am not sure she will sue me as I don’t think she has my full details (I think unless she screenshoted it from the Airbnb app?). I’m not sure if there is a similar platform where guests go to complain about hosts? But I’m more interested to find out if other hosts have been able to prevent a last minute cancellation review through Airbnb? Have you had anything similar like this happen Kenneth - you have a perfect track record does that mean you haven’t had a nasty guest yet?

If the second guest leaves a review you can leave a public response:  This guest cancelled a few hours before check in and never stayed here.

@Suzii0 I'm so sorry this has happened, it's absurd and outrageous. I wouldn't waste any more thought about the second guest and her threats, she has zero grounds of any kind to sue you- she sounds like a serious nutcase and you're actually lucky she didn't stay, I imagine she would have been a horror to host.

As for the bad reviews you're afraid of- that first guest is going to leave you a bad review no matter whether you give him a refund or not, because people who act like this always give bad reviews. Placating him with a refund won't work, I predict. You'll be out the $ AND get a bad review. 

Review both these guests, but don't refer specifically to any ongoing action or resolutions with Airbnb or they will remove your review. The reason you need to leave a review, however minimal, is not only to warn other hosts, but if you don't post a review, you will not be able to leave a response to the guests reviews, which you will probably need to, in order to clarify the situation to future guests. "Guest cancelled day of check-in when I let her know I would need to replace a bed slat shortly after her check-in time, and that it would only take a few minutes. She neither arrived, nor stayed at my listing." 

But if I were you, I'd once again get in touch with Airbnb and again if you have to, until you get a helpful CS rep. There is no way they should allow that second guest to post a review in light of the threatening messages she's been sending you.

Hi Sarah,

I know I think it's outrageous they are letting her review me but I called them and lodged a case and they are still saying she is allowed to review me. 

I thought just by threatening me was enough to prevent the review but apparently its not 😞

@Suzii0   Take a deep breath. Her not being able to sue you has nothing to do with having your full details. What on earth do you think this person could sue you for? Mentioning that you'll need to spend a few minutes replacing a bed slat? Any lawyer would laugh her out of the office.

Hi Sarah,

I really don't know - I agree what would she sue for but she has made a point that she is willing to do it just to make my life hell. To be honest with you I'm more worried she has my full address and can plaster it all over the internet in forums I don't know about 😕

Debbie96
Level 8
Oxford, United Kingdom

@Suziio0 Sorry to hear about your difficult experience.    Without going into all the details which were similar to yours, I can confirm that we are in fact vulnerable and unprotected by Airbnb as a hosts.   The sooner this is understood by other hosts (Superhosts or not) , the better prepared we can be to avoid the inevitable disappointment that follows when difficulties with guests arise.

As far as I can tell, with AIRBNB, the guest is always right and decisions in favour of the guest *usually* prevail --- even when guests are clearly in the wrong.