Last minute super strict cancel: 1/2 of party can't come

Dana273
Level 2
Folsom, CA

Last minute super strict cancel: 1/2 of party can't come

Sorry, another hypothetical:

2 families or couples rent my place. Then say 4 days before arrival, 1 family/couple can't come. I have it happen more often then you might expect over the lasat 20 years.

Can I salvage some rent by offering to reduce the rent by 50% to the remaining family/couple?

Is there a way in Airbnb to lower the rent at say 4 days before arrival?

If no then how about after departure? Can I offer a refund of 50% (based on the honor principle?). What does that do to everyone's fees?

2 Replies 2
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Dana273

It's quite simple - and applies to any reservation regardless of your chosen cancellation policy. Once you have a confirmed reservation you can go in to the booking and change the total price. Or, you can wait until your guests have arrived and you have been paid and then refund an amount to the guest.

That is good news. Think I will have to find a way to test this. Other sites have dropped this feature in favor of only allowing refunding after depature.

I recently had a case of 2 couples renting and one flaked. When pressed for the reason they said their freinds pet had passed and thus their friends did not want to come anymore (kind of a stretch since no mention of bringing a dog along in the first place). Wonder if Airbnb would consider that a justifiable extenuating circumstance?

dk

ps: Wouldn't it be nice if there was a document that showed a timeline and all the posibilities for cancel, adjustments, payouts etc?