Last time I ever give a discount

Brian686
Level 4
Morayfield, Australia

Last time I ever give a discount

Given that the.next two months are our quiet time I thought it might be a good idea to offer a special rate to pick up some bookings. I had a guest ask about the rates and when an already significant amount was taken off to hive the special deal they asked for a further discount which I refused to give. 

The  guest still booked at the discount rate and has now reviewed the property. Whilst the overall rating isn’t that bad they have really slammed the rating on cleanliness, accuracy and value. In what was clearly retaliation for not getting the extra discount they felt they were entitled to they have basically lied in the private feedback. Thankfully this isn’t seen by future guests as the content is so inaccurate as to be laughable. 

I have now ditched the special offer and won’t be offering any form of discount at all  in future. I expected a bad review given they wanted discounts and this has now confirmed my thoughts that guests who want discounts are not worth the damage they can do to ratings. Fortunately we have other booking sources so are not that desperate that we need to rely on these guests. 

Brian

11 Replies 11
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

It's often the case with these cheap guests and I'll often block one of the days to discourage them after they get the 'don't think so' message from me. 

For instance, 'Matt' asked on Friday (no 'hello' or other niceties): "Because I'm staying four days I'd like a discount".

Me: "You might want to choose a property with a price you're able/comfortable to pay".

Matt: "OK, I'll book tonight"

Me: "Afraid you won't, the dates are no longer available".

Bye!

@Gordon0 

That's the way to do it.

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Brian686

Isn't it sad that too often we extend our hand to help someone and end up getting bitten. 

Like @Gordon0  I have also not only denied requests for a discount but blocked my calendar so they can't get in .  I struggle with this as not only would I like to help people but I hate having my rooms empty. But I have to remind myself that better empty than filled with the wrong guests.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Brian686 

Brian, the world is full of 'cheapskates' .......and a lot of them are here on Airbnb. They are here because they are after a bargain, and if you promote yourself as a bargain, they will exploit you!

Brian, someone either likes your listing and wants to book, or they want to haggle over something or other all the time strengthening their ground and weakening yours.

Don't offer discounts......I don't care if Brian Chesky himself wants to book here, he pays my price! I don't offer discounts! I provide great value ....but if it's not good enough....bu*ger off and find another host!

Simple as that!

Cheers......Rob

PS: I might add, month after month I am fully booked!

Lisa1831
Level 5
New York, NY

@Brian686 @Robin4 @Beth80 @Gordon0 

I think the weekly and monthly discounts are actually a good thing. I usually book for a week.

Are you all saying you wouldn't offer these?

Or do you mean if you already offer this and the person still wants another discount? 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Yep, exactly that, @Lisa1831., Moroccan Bazaar stylee. 

@Lisa1831  I'm quite sure guests think monthly or weekly discounts are a good thing, why wouldn't they? 

In my case, I already charge the bare minimum to make it worthwhile to host and make it affordable for travelers on a budget. I get the type of guests who are a good fit, are appreciative of what I offer and consider it good value. I'd much prefer the room sat empty than discount. It's the quality of guests that is important to me, not the quantity. My place is the same price every day of the year, and no matter if a guest books for 3 nights or 2 weeks.

If hosts want to offer discounts to attract business in slow periods, or encourage longer bookings, or offer a discount to repeat guests, that's completely different from a guest asking for a discount. Guests who ask for discounts are basically saying that what a host is charging is too much- that's disrespectful. Guests' financial situations aren't our business- there is a huge range of places and prices to choose from. If a guest can only afford $15/night, they should look for places in that price range, not ask for a discount on a place that's listed for $35/night. Or book a shared hostel room. There's many people out there who think they deserve accomodation fit for a prince on a pauper's budget.

@Sarah977 

I understand your point of view. 

It is great you offer prices for budget travelers.

@Lisa1831  Yes, I love my budget travelers. I really dislike it when I see hosts say "Low prices attract low quality guests", as that hasn't been my experience at all. My guests are appreciative, respectful, leave their room and bathroom clean and tidy and clean up after themselves in shared spaces. I think it does depend on what and where you host, whether you use IB, whether you accept 1 night reservations and how adept a host is at vetting guests before accepting their booking. Someone who has a room in a big city that allows one night bookings and has low prices might attract cheap, unappreciative and disrespectful guests, but the folks who book my place, rural and a 20 minute walk from town and the beach, for a tropical holiday, have never fallen into that category.

And just because someone doesn't need all the bells and whistles of a fancy listing- clean, comfortable and affordable being the criteria, doesn't mean they are cheap people. I've had guests insist on taking me out for dinner, buying me a bottle of wine, bring me thoughtful gifts, or ask, pre-arrival, if there's anything they can bring me that I can't get in Mexico. Then they refuse to accept re-imbursement. (They've been small things like Mr. Clean magic erasers, plastic dish scrubbies, etc). And a couple of guests who missed their first day of a week-long booking, due to flight delays or overbooking,  refused to accept my offer of a refund for that night, saying no way, it wasn't my fault, and that they considered my place great value.

While my place isn't dirt cheap, it's definitely one of the most affordable in my town for solo travelers and many say it was far nicer than what they expected. 

I've hosted a teacher's union rep, a school administrator, bank teller, organic gardener, website builder, writers, artists, house designer, businessmen, etc, etc. All decent, upstanding people, not a lowlife among them.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lisa1831 

"Or do you mean if you already offer this and the person still wants another discount? "

There the ones we can't handle.......the ones for whom the listing will never be cheap enough!

If you gave it to them for nothing there would still be an issue of sorts.

I won't get involved in that, my price is my price. I am not saying I don't offer discounts....

but nobody ever asks me for one and gets it!

Cheers.....Rob

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Brian686 From time to time, I will offer discount on my listing especially during slow season beside monthly and weekly discount. But I don't accept the guests who ask for discount before they book. Guests like that normally are not good guests who appreciate your efforts and devotion. Subsequently you may not get good review even if you provide discount with special offer to them.