Late check out charges?

Maryam-Al-Fakheer0
Level 10
Ma'an Governorate, Jordan

Late check out charges?

Nearly all my guests stay for 1 or 2 days to visit the Petra Park.

About  90% of my guests somehow ignore my check-intime (most arrive earlier and some late 23.00 p.m.) and about 40% my check-out time. I have a check-OUT time of 13.00 p.m. Often they leave very early in the morning and mentioned they will be back on time, or ask for some extra time (1-2 hours extra), which I usually argree if I don't expect other guests that same day.  But even then they return back later than agreed, often hitting for the shower, changing cloths and packing their bags and -  in between all that - asking for drinks sometimes.

How would YOU deal with this?

43 Replies 43
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

None of our guests ever check in or check out at other than the agreed time. We make it part of the upfront booking. And, when they arrived we remind them of the check out time on the final day. It always works. I don't believe guest read the info on your profile so  you just have to cover it off with them as part of the booking process.

Linda0
Level 10
Spring, TX

Maryam -
I would put in my house rules late check outs cost you money and time and you have to pass on to guest when they are late checking out. I notices that a few hosts in the San Francisco Bay Area charge a $25 late check out fee, but it must be in the house rule because then it can be charged as an alternation. I would also mention that I have a late charge in my description of the rental also. The Airbnb policy/rule is much stricter and they will charge double the daily rate to the guest if they are called to intervene on your behalf because a guest is late to check out.

Hi linda, can you help me with this? I have a guest she checked out late and she ruined one of my next guest reservation. How can I request a charge to this guest?Thank you 

@David
If you notified Airbnb at the time, Airbnb would charge her double for the extra stay. Call Airbnb and let them know it affected the check in for your other guest.
Happy Hosting
Linda

Linda, how do you impose late charge into the Airbnb sytem? I mean make it officially, I can't find this in the system

I spoke to AirBNB and was told they will NOT enforce a late checkout fee

A guest left an hour lat, airbnb support says i can only get $2.70 a hr. for every hour they stayed late. So what happens if my next guest cancels because tehunit is not ready? i lose out on $65. Im waiting for a supervisor to call me. 

Hotels enforce late checkout fees....That's crazy.  

HI,

I remind my guests the day before what time is check out and where to place the trash.  I also inform them that I have new guests arriving and the cleaning service will be here sharply at check out. 

I only had one problem once and I was new and simply just too kind.  I quickly changed the way I do business after that.  I know send the reminders and  it has helped. 

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Maryam-Al-Fakheer0,

What about making your check-out time earlier in the day like 10 or 11 am?  I think a check-out time of 1pm is a little late in the day.  I took a look at other listings in your area and they are more in line with a 10am checkout time.

Just a thought.

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

@Dave-and-Deb0 My check-out time is 11.00 am, not 13.00 pm. Sorry for the mistake.

And I believe I repeated that in the house rules already.

If I mention an extra fee for passing the check-out time, how do I claim the money?

Hi Maryam,

I would do this through the Resolution Center under "request payment for extra services".

Check out my How To Guide for Resolution Center for the steps.

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/How-To-Guide-on-Using-the-Resolution-Center/m-p/8580...

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Maryam-Al-Fakheer0
Level 10
Ma'an Governorate, Jordan

EDIT:  my check-out time is 11.00 a.m.  Sorry for the mistake.

I have a guest who was supposed to check out at 11 AM. It's 6 PM and they still haven't checked out.

Airbnb said they won't intervene until 36 hours after checkout time.