Late check out, vomit, and reviews

Robb6
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Late check out, vomit, and reviews

Hi Everyone, I've been a lurker here for months and have gained great tips and advise from you all. Over New Year's weekend I hosted 4 guests at our cabin which is approximately 90 miles away in the mountains. Their checkout was supposed to be January 2 at 11am but they didnt leave until just after 12pm. I know this because my cleaning crew was getting there as they were leaving. Usually this isn't a big deal, but I had another guest who was going to be checking in later in the day. Since I am not physically there to inspect the property, I rely on the cleaning crew to make sure there is no damage etc. I received a text from them later after they left the property that there was vomit on one of the beds. They didn't take a picture because something was wrong with her phone. Regardless, they charged me an excess cleaning fee of $25. I asked if it looked like they tried to clean up or if they just left it there and she replied that it didnt appear that they attempted to clean it up. The guest had already left a review but I had not so I couldn't see it yet. When I wrote my review, it was short and factual, I said that they communicated great leading up to the check in, but left un-cleaned up vomit on the bed as well as checked out 1 hr late without notifying us. I posted the review and then used the resolution ctr to request the $25 excess cleaning fee from them. I'll note that their review of us and the accomodation was very positive. Shortly after this I received a message from the guest. He apologized and admitted that there was vomit on the bed, but said that they did clean it, because if they hadn't, it would have been all over the bed! He then stated that I had two choices, leave the bad review on his profile, or charge him the $25, but not both. (I'm thinking, is this guy for real) I havent responded, but I intend to tell him dispute the $25 dollars or pay it, but the review sticks. I am also assuming that since he admitted making the mess, airbnb will charge him anyway whether he agrees to it or not. What do you guys think? Am I making a big deal out of nothing?

20 Replies 20
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Robb6,

It is so lovely to meet you and it is fantastic to hear that you have been here in the CC for a few month and have been gathering tips. 🙂 It is great to see you have now posted.

You have received slightly devided opinions on your question, which does make it interesting to explore multiple thoughts on this. 

I just wondered if there is any update on what you decided to do?

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I used to tell my kids when they were teenagers that if they weren't mature enough to get to the toilet when they had to puke, they weren't mature enough to drink 🙂

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

I would have reported the "extortion" comment to AirBNB and reported the guest. Basically by saying if you changed your review he would pay you $25.  Against AirBNB Policy.

Boyd9
Level 1
Queen Creek, AZ

I just had the exact same thing happen to my cabin this past weekend. They were a group of 6 adults, 3 kids, and a baby. Luckily I got a picture. There was vomit on the bedspread, down the side of the matress, and on the carpet. I was not informed by the guest, they did not attempt to clean it up (which was probably good since it might have stained, they still checked out late without warning, and they left drink stains on rugs and on wood flooring. They clearly had little regard for the property. Luckily all of the items appeared to have come clean but it took several hours of additional work from the cleaners, additional cleaning supplies, and the rental of a carpet/upholstery cleaning machine. $25 is a steal. I don't have the total bill yet but it is likely to be over $150.  I have raised four kids and one of them had a combination of acid reflux with a sensitive gag reflex that let to a lot of vomit. I am very understanding of sick individuals and especially sick kids. But these renters will get a bad review and they will pay for the additional cleaning. If you chose to disrespect the property of others, then you get to pay for your lack of respect. I say don't bend on either item.

Vanessa816
Level 2
Houston, TX

You were right to post the late check out even thought it didn’t effect you, it would effect me and my schedule I have limited time to flip my AirBnB. You could ask just mention this in the private feedback.

absolutely include the vomit in review!! Do not barter with him about the extra cleaning fee of $25. Sounds like it will go in your favor especially if you have a cleaning company with invoice of extra charge and testimony from them. 

Erin503
Level 1
Altadena, CA

I think you should absolutely hold people responsible for ALL damages and breaking rules. This is your home, not a hotel. People need to show respect to our homes and it’s ridiculous that someone would vomit in a bed and not expect to be held accountable. Rules are rules.