Late checkout

Ilse3
Level 1
Baltimore, MD

Late checkout

What are Airbnb's policies concerning late checkouts? My listing clearly states that check out is at 11AM and I have guests that have not exited the room yet. Please help. 

52 Replies 52
John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

A lot of issues on these threads, including this one, boil down, oftentimes, to lack of information and lack of communication. Obviously, there are those guests, who know the rules and break them anyway, including the checkout time.

I think many guests, however, simply do not read well. Granted, it is surely their responsibility to read the listing, rules, etc, but the majority do not and therefore, as hosts, in order to mitigate issues and eventually make it easier for us, we must say the same things over and over, in hopes they read things at least once.

I always send a very detailed pre-approval message (post-booking for IB people), asking all guests to agree to the detailed list of policies. I also send a very similar message a few days before check-in reiterating the rules and policies. Lastly, I send a message the afternoon before checkout detailing the checkout procedures that I expect, including a reminder of the checkout time. 

We shouldn't have to coddle guests, but unfortunately, if we want things to run smoothly most of the time, I have found we must and as a result, we can avoid many issues as a result.

Happy Hosting in 2020! 

People just don't read description or messages sent to them. Sometimes when they arrive they ask for things not included in the listing and even when I point out I don't have this or that in my apartament they try to convince me these things were listed when they made a reservation. These situations usually end up with receiving a 4 star review.

@Piotr48, yes, the vast majority are just terrible at it. I think the best we can do is repeat, repeat, repeat to try to diminish problems. For me, I currently have a guest coming who I am trying to make sure understands that he must have an AWD or 4x4 vehicle for winter weather. So far, he has not really communicated well, so I have told him several times, hoping one of them soaks into his mind! 

Happy Hosting 2020! 

@John1080 what if they don't have such vehicle? Has it happened before? How do you handle such situation? 

@Piotr48, I have it posted prominently on my listing description a few times, and I have it in what I all my pre-approval message (I have turned off IB), where I require all guests to acknowledge and agree to several policies and finally, once again in a message I send to them a few days before check-in.

They almost all say something like, "Yes, I understand, I will make sure to have an AWD vehicle."  So, thus far, it hasn't been an issue, but I always expect someone with no mountain/winter weather driving experience to ignore the advice and have issues! 

Most people who fly in easily rent such a vehicle and many who drive in already have one. Most people in Colorado or surrounding areas already have an AWD. 

Hello

Include your check out time in same place as WIFI details. That's the first place almost all guests read and sometimes it's the only thing they read.

That’s too much to expect from hosts when the app provides that information. I include a convenient book of information in the room for guests but I’m not sending multiple reminders of basic things like checkout time. If they stay late without requesting it to make appropriate arrangements they should be charged a fee. 

Jeanie40
Level 2
Monte Rio, CA

Send notification the night before checkout clearly listing the checkout policy. Day of checkout request a notification of when they've checked out. Remotely turn off heaters at checkout time, then wifi 20 minutes later for unresponsive guests.