Late fees for late guests??

Lisa367
Level 10
Catania, Italy

Late fees for late guests??

Being an Airbnb host is hard enough, but guests who check in late make things even more difficult.  Last night, I had a guest who was supposed to arrive at midnight - which is already late enough as it is, but I told him that was fine.  I messaged him the day before and told him to please let me know if there would be any delays or changes to his flight.  He responded with "Will do!"  So check in time came and passed, and I'm sitting up getting more and more tired and more and more angry.  Finally, he arrives at 2:15 am.  2:15 AM!  He said his flight was delayed 2 hours, but he didnt bother to call/text/message me to tell me.  I was absolutely furious.  (Note: 90% of the time they are late the reason they don't text me is because they are roaming and don't want to pay the .25 cents to let me know - which is absolutely disgusting and disrespectful)

This is not an isolated incident.  I'd say about 35% of guests arrive late.  However, for those guests who arrive dramatically later than the time they say, I think Airbnb needs to impose a "late fee".  Obviously there should be a grace period for check in, but his is how I think it should work...

When a guest checks out, you get a notification asking to leave a review.  There should also be a notification that comes the day after they arrive that says "Did so-and-so check in on time?  Yes/no."   Now, we already give guests a huge window.  Obviously if they are 30 minute late, we don't sweat it... but over an hour late is just ridiculous.  If you select "No", then you'd have to say "how late was this guest?"  For every hour they were late, they should be charged a pre-determined fee.  There are already cancellation policies in place, so a host should be able to add a "late check in" policy.  For every hour that the guest is late, you should be able to charge them a fixed rate.  This would definitely light the fire under their butts to get to you on time or to at least tell you they will be late.

I live in Italy, so it happens frequently that people get off the bus and then stop for food - making me wait longer.  My time is valuable and Airbnb needs to take that into consideration.  I see no reason why I shouldn't have been able to charge this guest an extra 10 euros for making me stay up until 2:15 waiting to check him in.

13 Replies 13
Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

is not just you is all Host we all go through the same thing,no matter were they come from things Happens come on now is part of the job some like it some don't 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello @Lisa367
Unfortunatelly there are some guests that are not polite enough to tell the host that they are late or that they will be late. In same cases they could have informed the host, and in another cases maybe they were not able do it. I agree that it is a very uncomfortable and boring situation to us, the hosts.
I usually accept late checkout and I do not charge. I include this cost in the average nightly price I offer to any guest.
When it is close to guests arrival, usually 2 days before, I usually message the guests and ask them to drop me a message when they are about to take a taxi or any kind of transport to come from the aiport to the apartment.
I also explain to the guest that, by doing this, I will not have to wait more than expected in case of delay. I also say that, in case the guest arrives earlier then expected, he/she will not have to wait. From my point of view, this process is better than to set a pre-arranged time, of course, when the guest agrees. In most of cases, they agree.
You know, there will be always some guest that will say... "Oh, I will not have wifi signal or whatsoever" ... however 95% percent of them will not find complications and will be willing to message you. It can be an Airbnb message or SMS message if the guest does not have the Air bnb app on its mobile phone.

Cheers!

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello again @Lisa367

In additon to my previous post.

I also agree that, if there was a feature to set a late checkout fee, it would be good. However It would not  finish the problem of having to wait for the guest more than expected. To some guests, it would be a "kind of consent" to let them arrive even more late than expected ! 🙂  

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

@Lisa367

you can set a fee in your rules. If the guest does not arrive in time, send a message via airbnb “where are you?” No reply, send another message, that the late fee will apply per hour. When they are not arrived yet after 2 hours, another message, it’s double fee now (or however you wish to set it) after arrival or next morning, send a request for the fee via the resolution center. If the history is documented, you will get it paid, even if you have to involve airbnb. Some hosts request the fee request accepted before letting the guest into the room.

Usually, the menace of a fee alone curbs in the behaviour. 

I ask for flight details, to be able to follow the flight. And I have a phrase in my arrival instructions to let me know, if they suffer delays or change their mind and go to dinner first. The last one arriving at 2 am, without a phone working in Europe, got her seat neighbor to call me to say, that their train was standing in the middle of nowhere, close to the border. That way, I could look it up and text them the reason of the delay and the outview 😉

Enrico91
Level 2
Ibiza, Spain

I always ask the flight details : flight number AND departure's airport (sometimes they send my their booking confirmation code instead of the flight number 🙂 ), so I can check the status of their flight online.

I'm also quite lucky that 90 % of my guests are from an EU country and we don't pay any roaming charges anymore, so they don't mind texting me if they are making a stop to do some groceries, or having breakfast or anything before coming for the check-in.  

Mark944
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

I’ve got this beat with a late guest just today. Note that I do live in this house that I rent a private room In. He asked to check in on a Friday night at 11pm. I agreed. No problem. Then at 10 pm he asked to check in at midnight.  I said fine. Midnight arrives, no one. 1 pm, no one no call, 2pm. Same silence. 3 pm comes and I’m tired so my wife and i go to bed. 4:15am......ring ring. Hi we need to check in. We’re at the airport on the way. Their flight to my house was 1 hour. So in 4 1/2 hours no contact?   Really?? 4:35am. That has to be a record.  Does anyone have anyone who’s checked in later?

We've been dealing with a lot of late guests lately! I'm going to find out if I can add a late arrival fee. We're pretty lenient with our check in window 5 pm to 9pm, and if they tell me ahead of time, I can extend it. However lately it's been the day off.... I'm getting to a point where I just won't let people check in if they miss the window. We live here, we have to work it's just super disrespectful. If they want to check in whenever they want, they need to go and stay in a hotel. Totally tired of it. 

Andrew157
Level 10
Windermere, United Kingdom

I suspect that airbnb will simply say get some sort of self checking system. That is the way things are going with the add on levels such as work ready. 

Of course you don't want a random stranger wandering around your shared room at 0430 and coming into your room as they are looking for the bathroom.

I doubt if airbnb understand it. 

Helen56
Level 10
San Diego, CA

I have a late check-in tonight.  She has told me that her flight gets in at 10.30 pm.  I always ask for the flight number so that I can track it and know in advance if she will be late.  People can't always message from flights, or their battery mught be run down.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

This just comes with the territory of being an airbnb host. Consider getting a lock box so they can self check in.

Allen146
Level 2
Pisgah Forest, NC

My space is on my farm in the country and guests are driving in from nearby states usually. We go to bed early so my check in time is 8 pm. Sometimes guests say they will “try” to arrive before 8. Late check ins are very disruptive to our schedule and lifestyle. 

I am considering

1. A $50 late fee for up to an hour late

2 Closing the gate so they can’t enter the property after 9 then,

3 Cancelling the reservation with a refund minus a missed appointment fee since they are in breach of our contract. I agree to provide a room for a price and they agree to the price and my rules. 

I know Airbnb probably won’t go along but I’m at the point where I’ll give up the reservation rather than have people on my property that don’t respect the terms of the agreement and my rules. 

Some of you will be thinking I am a hard ass but it’s my property and my rules. Obey or go somewhere else. 

Maybe I’ll just turn it into a sheep stable instead. 

Giuliana142
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

I am currently dealing with a guest arriving tomorrow, who was supposed to arrive yesterday. 3 days later than originally expected. He texted me that he will be late. I immediately called Airbnb help desk and clarified with them that I have a strict check in policy, 2-4 pm. This guest was making all kinds of excuses to Airbnb. I did not budge. I told Airbnb that I am running a business here and everyone has to respect the mutual agreement. I emphasized that I do not accept guests in the evening. I did that once last year, I allowed a guy to check in at 10 pm and he was absolute trouble. I had to call the police to get him out. So no more flexibility there. Unless there’s an airplane scheduled to arrive to this country late, I will not allow people to move my own schedule. As I always say: my house - my rules!

This guest is now going to check in 3 days later, I made sure Airbnb pays me for every single day based on his original booking. This way I receive a full payment. If the guest is here or not - that’s his problem. Instead of 14 days he will now be staying 11 days. Airbnb still paid me for 14 days. Suits me fine. He has to take care of his own business. If anyone blocks my calendar they are responsible to pay for the time lost.