Latest location rating for our secluded lake cabin

Laugh or cry? Gonna laugh.
Capture.JPG

36 Replies 36
Ivan427
Level 1
Pančevo, Serbia

Hi, 

My name is Ivan, and that is exactly my "problem".. I usually underline where my studios are, tell guests to look at photos of the place, before booking.. And then comments are pretty much the same as yours . ☺️ 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Ivan427 first line of our amenity limitations, which guests must acknowledge before booking: "Driveway is gravel and steep."

Sigh. Sigh, bleeping sigh, is all I can say.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I have had a reduced rating more than once because of my hill too, now I mention it three times in my listing. Nobody has complained since. Price of view=hill.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lisa723  You poor thing, my sympathies. I guess they're trying to warn the other guests who also don't bother to read the listing description. 

Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

@Lisa723 <SIGH> It just becomes another thing you fell like you need to ask them before accepting their booking. Hosts where I am get comments about it being foggy, not warm enough, etc. We are a coastal community in Northern California. We can’t change the weather for our guests and the Redwoods need the fog <eye roll> 

@Ava30   OMG, it's FOGGY in Northern California? Who could ever have imagined? 

It's like guests who book a cabin in the tropics and then freak out because they saw an insect.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Ava30, ''come and watch the fog roll in over the famous redwoods...'' etc ''stay warm in our cosy cabin whilst the winds whistle outside...'' or whatever. Wrap it in positives.

@Lisa723

Yup...... the only reason I can think of for getting 4 stars for location from guests is because we are 8 mins away from the subway JUST LIKE I STATED (and not closer) and also maybe because our home is farther from school than the international student dorm (which has a midnight curfew, no kitchen (usually just a fridge and microwave) and provides no bedding or towels or amenities of any kind except for toilet paper). 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

You all know something? I think the majority of guests have no idea whatsoever that what they are actually doing when they fill out the review is rating the host and that their rating affects us hugely in a very personal way, with all these threats from Airbnb to pull up our socks or else, not just possibly cutting down our bookings. 

I think most guests just assume they're rating a place as if they were writing travel blog,  that their opinion is somehow important to the general public.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Ignorance is bliss but unfortunately ignorant people are not.

Noel63
Level 10
Coober Pedy, Australia

Steep hill = free gym

@Noel63 wrote:

Steep hill = free gym

Oh, no. People these days want to drive from doorstep to doorstep, heaven forbid they have to walk a block. Then they pay $300/month for a gym membership so they can work-out. Strange times we live in.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

10% of the population can't or are unwilling to read and 15% as is are too illerate to comprehend what they are reading - no wonder many guests do not understand hosts' information on location.

I have had a few dumb guests who gave me 4*s on location because it was an island and it was not attached to the mainland, thus they couldn't drive up to it. Their minds were beyond hope, but not their money. 😉