Launching first Airbnb property - need tips on property management in Flagstaff AZ

Chris13150
Level 1
Gilbert, AZ

Launching first Airbnb property - need tips on property management in Flagstaff AZ

Hi everyone!

After long consideration, we are looking to purchase and host a property in Flagstaff. I want this to be successful from the start, but also want to balance it so we can use it, as well as friends and family. My hope is 50-60% occupancy with paid guests (including friends). I'd also like it to be Superhost, and if we can, Airbnb Plus.

I don't want to skimp on details, so hit me with your best advice, recommendations on property management/co-hosts, etc. 

4 Replies 4
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Chris13150  I say go for it.  Airbnb Plus has been discontinued, so you can take that off your to-do list.

* Only you know the value of what you have to offer, so price accordingly.  You can review pricing in your area, but always be mindful of what's unique about your property and what might not be factored into the algorithm for ranking your listing in search.  For instance, my property sits on 12 acres, but the algo can only compare number of rooms and types of amenities.  Although there are over 100 factors taken into account, acreage isn't one of them. 

* Many hosts have found that a property priced too low attracts more demanding and destructive guests.

* Get to know your property inside and out before handing the reins and a percentage of income over to a co-host, unless you are absolutely confident the person has a stellar track record as an Airbnb host.  If you do find such a co-host, you should ask to review their guest communications.  I believe many Airbnb problems arise from poor communication between host and guest.

* Use your head and trust your gut - if you get an inquiry from a guest that feels like fingernails on a blackboard to you, don't second-guess yourself.  Get that person under control ASAP.  

* As far as Airbnb is concerned - it's a booking platform with a far greater reach than an individual.  Use it as a partner for that but maintain control of all aspects of your property yourself.

* You can search this forum by keyword to find articles and posts on most issues that come up.

Have fun!

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Chris13150  Also - here's a good list from the Airbnb site:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/topic/1331/managing-your-listing

Melissa1477
Level 1
Dunwoody, GA

Chris, my husband can help if you still are looking for a co-host or advice. He co-hosts remotely from Atlanta, GA, for properties in South Carolina with success. Feel free to message me at *private information removed* if you still need help. We'd be happy to share software or take over for you.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you want to pitch your services o @Chris13150  why don't you just send them a message via their profile?