Laundry - and tips...

Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

Laundry - and tips...

So, any gueses as to what I am gonna be doing today?

IMG_3404.JPG

IMG_8258.JPGGetting all the furniture for the studio delivered today and am washing all the new linens for the studio. Thank heavens for LG's huge 4.7cu ft washer - and my 5-wire clothesline!

I just wanted to drop a pic here cos I also wanted to share something with everyone:

Vinegar, when added to the washing cycles, does something amazing. It breaks down minerals in the water, allowing the white to show brighter and colors to be clearer, it also breaks down soap film on the washer surfaces. One final thing...if you use 1 cup of vinegar in the first wash for colors, it functions to set the colors, so they can be washed over-and-over and very little (if any) bleed occurs. You don't have to use it every time you wash the items, just the first time and once every few months thereafter.

Also, go get bluing liquid - I like Mrs. Stewarts. One $5 bottle lasts years. Add it to the compartment for your water softener. 2-3 drops w/water to fill up to the "fabric softener" line in the machine. You will not believe how the bluing counters the yellowing that the water causes to whites. Don't add to colors - tho it wont actually hurt them, it just may tint, for instance a yellow shirt. Just use it for whites. It's also safe chemically (non-toxic)

8 Replies 8
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jann3 how much vinegar would you add for a regular wash (not to set the coloureds) and do you put it in with the detergent?

@Huma0, do you have a under-the-counter washer/dryer (common to many UK apartments) or a full-size (3+ cubic ft) model? The amount increases for a full-size of course. Does your machine have a detergent bin (or do you put detergent in with the clothing?)

Basically it is preferable to put the vinegar separate from the detergent as the acidic nature can mix with "oxy-clean" type detergents. If your detergent does not have oxy-clean in it then you are fine. If you are in the least bit concerned, put it in the rinse "bin" in your machine or pause your machine after water goes in and add it directly to clothing. It will not hurt clothing. 

Do NOT add vinegar to cycles you put OxyClean or Borax in. It reacts with OxyClean (Foams, then neutralizes both products), and Borax will turn into a block/brick that is almost as hard as cement! So it's best to only use Vinegar when you DONT use additives such as OxyClean or Borax.

How's that? BTW: All my laundry is done! It took a day and a half to wash everything to go in the apartment! 🙂

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jann3 yes, I have an under the counter washer/dryer combo and it takes a load up to 7 kg. I have no idea what the size is in cubic feet as here the machine size is always specified in kilograms. It has a drawer with compartments: one for detergent for pre-wash (most cycles I use incorporate the pre-wash), one for detergent for the main wash and one for fabric softener. I usually put an oxy stain remover powder in with the detergent, but could certainly skip that. No idea if the detergent itself uses Oxy, but will check. I tend to use the liquid non biological stuff.

Well done on getting all the laundry done!

So, I want to correct something... Vinegar doesn't neutralize OxyClean, it simply immediately activates it. The reason I said neutralizes is that if you have top loader (most ppl in US do) if you pour vinegar in, then oxyclean (or the reverse) on the top of the clothing, then wait 10 minutes for it to fill up with water and start washing, much of the cleaning power has already been done ON THE CLOTHING the vinegar landed on.

IF - on the other hand - you use vinegar in your prewash compartment, then the oxy/detergent in the regular for main wash, you will do the best, as then the vinegar will hit all the clothing, then later when the washer adds the main wash water and detergents you will get maximum clean. The OxyClean will clean stains like bloods, proteins, etc...and the Vinegar will boost the detergent's oil-based/grease-stain cleaning power. 

So, skip the part about being worried about oxyclean in the detergent...my bad. Like I said using it together doesn't neutralize it, it just activates it early and lessens cleaning ability.  Sorry for the erroneous statement.

Sharion0
Level 9
Santa Rosa, CA

@Jann3, exciting days ahead for you Jann! Best of luck to you in your new venture:)

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Very exciting @Jann3. How are all your preparations going?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

I'm really close now. All the painting is done, furniture is in, had to make last minute changes on the accent colors for bedding (went with white & cream instead of white & gray - due to the gray rugs being delayed by a month) - installing the blinds today and hopefully will get to the curtains as well!

SO CLOSE....but we are trying to do it perfect. Will never, ever happen. Perfect doesn't exist. I just need to do it as if it was ME staying here...cos that is the test. My husband and I will pack an overnight bag and stay in the unit. We won't - under most circumstances - go back down to the main house that night. We'll just make notes of what we WOULD'VE expected but forgot to include. We'll see how that goes! 

Thanks to everyone @Huma0@Sharion0@Farah, et al for all the support!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great to hear it is all going as planned @Jann3. I like that you are going to spend the night there, I think it is a great idea and then you have the real life experience of what it feels like to stay there as a guest. @Mark26, mentioned in another discussion that he does a similar thing inbetween hosting his guests, where he takes his laptop and works from the listing for the day this way he can see if everything is working well and if there is anything missing. 

Is there much left to do? 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.